Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 D-4D - Starting From Cold

Paulq

My 2007 2.0 D-4D is a great runner overall but is a bit of a lumpy starter from cold. It never doesn't start but sometimes takes 2 goes or, if first time, only just. Once going it's perfect - just a bit of a starting issue.

Is this likely to be a particular problem or is there a technique to starting the diesels?

Thanks in advance.

Are you waiting for the glow plug symbol on the dash to go out before starting?

Are you waiting for the glow plug symbol on the dash to go out before starting?

Yes, I definitely wait for that to go out before starting.

The basics are to check the Battery, glow plugs and starter motor condition, probably in that order. Colder weather means in order for a diesel to start, all of the above must be in good working order. Glow plugs burn out over time and need changing from time to time, just like changing plugs in a petrol engine, they wear out!

Kingo :thumbsup:

s

My 2007 2.0 D-4D is a great runner overall but is a bit of a lumpy starter from cold. It never doesn't start but sometimes takes 2 goes or, if first time, only just. Once going it's perfect - just a bit of a starting issue.

Is this likely to be a particular problem or is there a technique to starting the diesels?

Thanks in advance.

The basics are to check the battery, glow plugs and starter motor condition, probably in that order. Colder weather means in order for a diesel to start, all of the above must be in good working order. Glow plugs burn out over time and need changing from time to time, just like changing plugs in a petrol engine, they wear out!

Kingo :thumbsup:

s

totally agree with kingo, mine had the same issue turned out to be Battery, new Bosch one fitted perfect start, Halfords do a free batttery check. a video would be good.

Thanks guys. Spoke to my local dealer this afternoon and the first thing they mentioned was the glow plugs. It's going in on Monday to have those checked so I'll mention the Battery at the same time. From my non-expert point of view it doesn't 'sound' like the Battery but again I am not an expert - the car doesn't seem to have that lethargic feel that you get when a Battery is flat/run down. It turns over briefly and doesn't start before starting second time, admittedly reluctantly. Tonight coming home from work it took 3 goes.

If it is the glow plugs do most dealers stock these so they can be replaced on the day and how much are they to replace? Gonna cost £69 quid just to get it looked at (knew I should have bought an i30......)

Thanks again.

Hi Paul,

As you use the word lumpy I assume that that is when it does start.

This is indeed a sure sign that a glow plug (or two) has stopped working.

In the past I have found that changing the faulty one(s) is all that is required and I have had no trouble after

Just an observation.

Del

Thanks guys. Spoke to my local dealer this afternoon and the first thing they mentioned was the glow plugs. It's going in on Monday to have those checked so I'll mention the battery at the same time. From my non-expert point of view it doesn't 'sound' like the battery but again I am not an expert - the car doesn't seem to have that lethargic feel that you get when a battery is flat/run down. It turns over briefly and doesn't start before starting second time, admittedly reluctantly. Tonight coming home from work it took 3 goes.

If it is the glow plugs do most dealers stock these so they can be replaced on the day and how much are they to replace? Gonna cost £69 quid just to get it looked at (knew I should have bought an i30......)

Thanks again.

ah I forgot to mention, when you start it next turn all the lights on, radio--- if the lights dim/flicker, I'd say its Battery!

Toyota wanted about £80 for Battery on trade 3 year warranty, got a Bosch for £65 for 4 year warranty. easy to fit aswell.

OK thanks again - I guess it will be one or the other....or both.

Just a final question. If I have to replace the Battery I am not paying dealer prices as I can do that myself and have found the appropriate Bosch unit already, online, for about 45 quid cheaper than at the dealers.

My question is if I replace the Battery does that disable the radio in the Corolla so that I will need a code to bring it back to life? Not sure I have the code I guess that also would be a dealer jobbie?

(You never win do you.... :ermm: )

OK thanks again - I guess it will be one or the other....or both.

Just a final question. If I have to replace the battery I am not paying dealer prices as I can do that myself and have found the appropriate Bosch unit already, online, for about 45 quid cheaper than at the dealers.

My question is if I replace the battery does that disable the radio in the Corolla so that I will need a code to bring it back to life? Not sure I have the code I guess that also would be a dealer jobbie?

(You never win do you.... :ermm: )

in my avensis, I put my Battery in myself, the only things that got reset were sat nav and clocks, (well thats the only ones ive noticed haha).

radio is fine. im not 100% sure about corolla.

try http://www.eurocarparts.com/ theres offers on batterys.

in my avensis, I put my battery in myself, the only things that got reset were sat nav and clocks, (well thats the only ones ive noticed haha).

radio is fine. im not 100% sure about corolla.

try http://www.eurocarparts.com/ theres offers on batterys.

Thanks - EuroParts was the place I had sourced the cheaper Battery - a Bosch so that should be decent.

Can anyone else advise regarding the radio etc? If I need a code I'll need to find it first.

Thanks again.

If it's the standard fitted radio, it shouldn't need a code. The manual should be able to confirm.

My brother had a similar problem when he bought his because the Battery that was fitted was too small and wussy; It couldn't sustain the amps needed to crank the engine and lasted about 2 months before it died completely! The Battery the 2.0 D4D needs is pretty huge! Looks like it belongs in a van! :lol:

If it's the standard fitted radio, it shouldn't need a code. The manual should be able to confirm.

My brother had a similar problem when he bought his because the battery that was fitted was too small and wussy; It couldn't sustain the amps needed to crank the engine and lasted about 2 months before it died completely! The battery the 2.0 D4D needs is pretty huge! Looks like it belongs in a van! :lol:

yeah your right. i bought mine the guy was very small and he struggled to get it on the counter haha.

I had the Battery checked out at Halfords today and the guy was really helpful - it's fine and in good health so I guess the next thing to check is the glow plugs when it goes in on Monday. Just hope it's not an expensive job!!

I had the battery checked out at Halfords today and the guy was really helpful - it's fine and in good health so I guess the next thing to check is the glow plugs when it goes in on Monday. Just hope it's not an expensive job!!

oh good, its good that they offer a free service. only takes two minutes to do.

can you not get anyone else to put in glow plugs. or even a check rather than £69 just for a check?

can you not get anyone else to put in glow plugs. or even a check rather than £69 just for a check?

It is a lot isn't it but I don't know anyone who could do that job to be honest. The dealers have said that if it turns out that the glow plugs are at fault then they will discount the cost of replacing them on account of the cost of the diagnostic. That sounds great but when the plugs are £23.50 each and you have labour I am already looking at a bill of £200. If I have to pay that then they had better be right about them being the problem!!

If it persists then I'll probably just sell it.

It is a lot isn't it but I don't know anyone who could do that job to be honest. The dealers have said that if it turns out that the glow plugs are at fault then they will discount the cost of replacing them on account of the cost of the diagnostic. That sounds great but when the plugs are £23.50 each and you have labour I am already looking at a bill of £200. If I have to pay that then they had better be right about them being the problem!!

If it persists then I'll probably just sell it.

I searched euro car parts for mine its 23.10 each.

had a search on eBay

4 for £40

is this right lol?

mine is the 1CD-FTV is yours the same or the 1AD-FTV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120793206935?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

had a search on ebay

4 for £40

is this right lol?

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Yep mine are also £23.10 each so at least the dealers are there or thereabouts I guess. I can't believe that they are 4 for £40 - something is not right there surely?

Anyway, time will tell and Monday is the day. I'll invest £200 in getting them replaced, if that's what I need to do, and then if it's still an issue I'll probably swap it out and go back to an i30. Shame, the Corolla is a nice car.

had a search on ebay

4 for £40

is this right lol?

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Yep mine are also £23.10 each so at least the dealers are there or thereabouts I guess. I can't believe that they are 4 for £40 - something is not right there surely?

Anyway, time will tell and Monday is the day. I'll invest £200 in getting them replaced, if that's what I need to do, and then if it's still an issue I'll probably swap it out and go back to an i30. Shame, the Corolla is a nice car.

I initially thought there was something dodgy but after a bit of research I genuinely think they are that price and nothing wrong, he's a big business on eBay,

I don't think he would want to damage his business rep, search for d4d glow plug they are all round at that price. he has sold 41, then again you have always got eBay on your side as a buyer.

I rang my local motor factor and he advised £8 each but forgot to ask what make.

I don't think you should pay that much, in my d4d the glow plugs are under the engine cover as far as I know, not the hardest part to replace.

have a read of this.

http://www.toyotaown...pic=80733&st=10

You can always buy just the parts from Toyota and get them fitted.

do you not have any friends or family who can advise a local garage to go to?

what ever you decide to do please report back and advise of outcome.

I'd be very surprised if it was the glowplugs.

How did the Halfords guy test the Battery? If he just measured the voltage, this is useless.

The problem with the 2.0 D4D is it has a MASSIVE cold crank amp draw and really does need a bigger beefier Battery.

Under normal running or engine off, most batteries will look okay; It is only when cranking that their weakness is exposed.

My brother's 'rolla had these symptoms then he first bought it - The engine would sound like it's struggling to crank, but then the engine would give a good strong roar as it caught.

Couple of months later, wouldn't start at all; Battery had suddenly failed.

Replaced it, couple months later, same thing happened.

Then got a 'proper' battery from Toyota - Was over twice the size of the batteries that he'd put in there before, car now starts properly and has since, and has been for the past 3 years!

How did the halfords guy test the battery? If he just measured the voltage, this is useless.

The problem with the 2.0 D4D is it has a MASSIVE cold crank amp draw and really does need a bigger beefier battery.

Under normal running or engine off, most batteries will look okay; It is only when cranking that their weakness is exposed.

My brother's 'rolla had these symptoms then he first bought it - The engine would sound like it's struggling to crank, but then the engine would give a good strong roar as it caught.

Then got a 'proper' battery from Toyota - Was over twice the size of the batteries that he'd put in there before, car now starts properly and has since, and has been for the past 3 years!

Bear in mind I am not an expert so wouldn't know a good Battery test from a bad one. Yeah he put the clips on each of the Battery terminals and measured 'something' and told me that the Battery still had around 70% of its original capacity and a 'something' of around 440 amps (I did warn you I am not a techie :dontgetit: ) which he said should be fine to start the vehicle.

I am non the wiser - took me 5 goes to get it started today.

Just another question - if the dealers on Monday do a diagnostic and tell me its the glow plugs and replace them, and the problem persists and turns out to be, say, the battery, then can I legally expect the dealer to sort the problem for nothing? After all, a diagnostic should be just that shouldn't it?

Sadly, no. You can sometimes nag them into doing it or they may do a 'good will' thing if it's not an expensive thing, but there are no guarantees if they misdiagnose the problem :(

Some dealers are a lot better than others 'tho - The new one that opened near me are pretty terrible compared to my old dealer (Who sadly closed down...)

For reference, my brother's 'rolla Battery is rated for 650 Amps. (No idea what it supplies at the moment tho'!)

I have a feeling, if the amps from the Battery are too low, that it's sapping power from the glow plugs which may be why it looks like they are faulty (but this is purely speculation on my part!)

How big is the Battery in yours out of curiosity? Does it fill the whole battery bay or is there a large gap around it?

I'm heavily leaning toward it being a battery problem because the glowplugs don't actually do a great deal until you start hitting sub 5C temps and your problem sounds so similar to my brother's.

Hmm... I wonder if you could test it by getting a jump start off someone with a van? :lol:

How did the halfords guy test the battery? If he just measured the voltage, this is useless.

The problem with the 2.0 D4D is it has a MASSIVE cold crank amp draw and really does need a bigger beefier battery.

Bear in mind I am not an expert so wouldn't know a good Battery test from a bad one. Yeah he put the clips on each of the Battery terminals and measured 'something' and told me that the Battery still had around 70% of its original capacity and a 'something' of around 440 amps (I did warn you I am not a techie :dontgetit: ) which he said should be fine to start the vehicle.

I am non the wiser - took me 5 goes to get it started today.

Just another question - if the dealers on Monday do a diagnostic and tell me its the glow plugs and replace them, and the problem persists and turns out to be, say, the battery, then can I legally expect the dealer to sort the problem for nothing? After all, a diagnostic should be just that shouldn't it?

my previous battery was running on 69% my Halfords guy said it was time for a new one. I've had the battery in a week so far no starting problems at all.

would it be better to pay the 60 towards the battery or towards a diagnostics test?

How big is the battery in yours out of curiosity? Does it fill the whole battery bay or is there a large gap around it?

No it's quite big there is no gap around it at all. On Monday I am gonna ask them specifically to rule the Battery out before anything else.

would it be better to pay the 60 towards the battery or towards a diagnostics test?

Well as I am coming from a position of 'not got a clue' I guess I'm gonna have to take that chance and let them tell me what the issue is. I could take a chance and buy a Battery which either solves the problem or doesn't. If it doesn't then I have wasted the cash that could have paid for the diagnostic....

I can't win really.