Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D-4D - Starting From Cold

Paulq

would it be better to pay the 60 towards the battery or towards a diagnostics test?

Well as I am coming from a position of 'not got a clue' I guess I'm gonna have to take that chance and let them tell me what the issue is. I could take a chance and buy a Battery which either solves the problem or doesn't. If it doesn't then I have wasted the cash that could have paid for the diagnostic....

I can't win really.

By any chance can upload a video when your trying to start the car?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139869

I uploaded one in October, but it gradually got worse, until it starting taking 3 attempts to start the car.

I suspected Battery but for piece of mind I uploaded and both members advised it was Battery.

Yep - did it this morning and, would you believe, the b***dy thing started first time. It still felt very hesitant though and yesterday took me 4 or 5 goes when the car had been stood.

I have tried to attach it to this post but if that hasn't worked if someone can tell me how to include a video in a post (with the correct filetype) then I'll happily edit and oblige.

Any views welcome - thanks again.

Corolla Start.mov

Murphy's law isn't it! :lol:

The attachment worked okay; Sounded quite healthy! :D

Now just need to catch it when it's misbehaving!

I hope it's not as bad as this guy's! :eek:

That's -12C with faulty glowplugs tho'! Even after he gets it started, it sounds a bit sick :(

Seemed better at -5C!

I'm slightly disturbed by how many people have recorded their Corolla starting up in various temperatures :lol:

Murphy's law isn't it! :lol:

The attachment worked okay; Sounded quite healthy! :D

Now just need to catch it when it's misbehaving!

I hope it's not as bad as this guy's! :eek:

That's -12C with faulty glowplugs tho'! Even after he gets it started, it sounds a bit sick :(

Seemed better at -5C!

I'm slightly disturbed by how many people have recorded their Corolla starting up in various temperatures :lol:

Yep - typical, especially after yesterday!! I'll see what happens tomorrow. If I'm convinced they know what the problem is then ill fix it. If I get the slightest inkling that they are unsure or 'guessing' then I'll probably take the decision to move it on as I just can't afford to have a car that 'might' start. I also can't afford to keep having it at the dealers on account of them 'maybe' knowing what it is. The car simply isn't worth massive expenditure.

However that would be a first as I have had 3 Toyotas before, all of which have been utterly bomb proof reliable so I will be disappointed if its something not easily fixable.

Well hats off to you guys. The car had a full once over this morning and guess what, the Battery failed its test completely and had to be replaced. I could have got one cheaper and done it myself but I wanted an end to the hassle there and then and to start enjoying the car so I paid for the dealers to fit it. They were great actually - only took an hour and they agreed to knock £40 off the cost of the diagnostic check so I can't really complain at that.

Message to anyone reading this - do NOT trust Halfords!! On Friday they said my Battery was 'just fine'.

It 'seems' better and took it for a good 20 mile blast up the motorway just to get some good charge into the new Battery. The big test wil be starting it from cold in the morning of course. If it starts I'm happy, if not then I'll have to flog it as the dealer said they can't find anything else wrong with it. However, am confident that won't be the case and that it will be fine from now on.

Just need to fix the creaky suspension when I get in and out of it now - that was a feature of the other one I had too so must be common on the Corollas.

Thanks again for all the replies - big help.

Well hats off to you guys. The car had a full once over this morning and guess what, the battery failed its test completely and had to be replaced. I could have got one cheaper and done it myself but I wanted an end to the hassle there and then and to start enjoying the car so I paid for the dealers to fit it. They were great actually - only took an hour and they agreed to knock £40 off the cost of the diagnostic check so I can't really complain at that.

Message to anyone reading this - do NOT trust Halfords!! On Friday they said my battery was 'just fine'.

It 'seems' better and took it for a good 20 mile blast up the motorway just to get some good charge into the new battery. The big test wil be starting it from cold in the morning of course. If it starts I'm happy, if not then I'll have to flog it as the dealer said they can't find anything else wrong with it. However, am confident that won't be the case and that it will be fine from now on.

Just need to fix the creaky suspension when I get in and out of it now - that was a feature of the other one I had too so must be common on the Corollas.

Thanks again for all the replies - big help.

Regards to Halfords, they advised mine was running 69% and needed a new one

and yours at 70% and doesnt need one, i think the guy who done yours needs re training lol

you should be ok now, i had a strong feeling that it was your Battery.

by any chance did they test the alternator & starter motor?

are all glow plugs fine.

Yep as far as I know they said everything associated with starting was checked and I have a checklist that they checked loads of other stuff also - the car is sound mechanically. As I said the test will be starting it from standing overnight and, if the forecasters are to be believed, temperatures later this week will provide it with the ultimate challenge as it's supposed to drop well below zero.

I'm happy to be honest - their assessment of the problem stacks with the way it was behaving and the thoughts of you and others here who had similar experiences. I had a 55 plate Corolla 1.4 D-4D some years ago (which I regret selling) and that was an excellent, reliable motor so the Corolla model and I have history; I know how good they were and that's why I've been fortunate to get one of the very late models on a 2007 plate. I've no reason to believe that a replacement Battery at 5.5 years old is anything to be concerned about.

Unless it fails to start tomorrow :bangin:

Yep as far as I know they said everything associated with starting was checked and I have a checklist that they checked loads of other stuff also - the car is sound mechanically. As I said the test will be starting it from standing overnight and, if the forecasters are to be believed, temperatures later this week will provide it with the ultimate challenge as it's supposed to drop well below zero.

I'm happy to be honest - their assessment of the problem stacks with the way it was behaving and the thoughts of you and others here who had similar experiences. I had a 55 plate Corolla 1.4 D-4D some years ago (which I regret selling) and that was an excellent, reliable motor so the Corolla model and I have history; I know how good they were and that's why I've been fortunate to get one of the very late models on a 2007 plate. I've no reason to believe that a replacement battery at 5.5 years old is anything to be concerned about.

Unless it fails to start tomorrow :bangin:

may your Battery live long :thumbsup: all the best

Woo! Glad it got sorted! :thumbsup:

Now you can go back to enjoying the house-pulling torque of that lovely engine :D

I am a broken man. Car took 4 times to start this morning. I now completely give up!!

Noooo :(

What else could it be!? Alternator not charging the Battery properly? Or maybe really is glowplugs :unsure:

What's the temperature up there? On really cold days, some times I light up the glowplugs 2-3 times before trying to start my Yaris...

Noooo :(

What else could it be!? Alternator not charging the battery properly? Or maybe really is glowplugs :unsure:

What's the temperature up there? On really cold days, some times I light up the glowplugs 2-3 times before trying to start my Yaris...

Million dollar question to be honest. I spoke to the dealer today who stated that they would need the car in overnight which is fair enough. However, my fears were worsened when he explained to me that the assessment method was a 'physical' one and that there were a number of things it could be - alternator, starter motor, fuel system, glow plugs and that it was a process of elimination to determine the fault.

That all seems a bit loose to me and, running through that list, there's a potentially significant cost to be incurred if it's approached on a trial and error basis isn't there.

I must admit I am am almost at a point of cutting my losses.

Well, had a chat with a few dealers today and have decided to change the car - pick my new on up on Saturday. Am really disappointed all told as it's my first negative experience with a Toyota,

Slight aside - I had bought some Toyota Steel Wheels and kitted them out with brand new Michelin Alpin A4 tyres for the winter - where's the best place to flog these? eBay?

if your car was silver someone on here is looking for a silver 2007 d4d car. hes from manchester. yes eBay would be best what size are the tyres and wheels.

if your car was silver someone on here is looking for a silver 2007 d4d car. hes from manchester. yes ebay would be best what size are the tyres and wheels.

It is silver but I have traded it in today I am afraid. Wheels are 15 inch so will fit any Corolla 2002 - 07, and are brand new and official Toyota parts. Tyres are Michelin Alpin A4 in 195/60 R15 and again are brand new. Cost £420 new, got receipts and am happy for anyone to collect if interested. Will chuck in a set of brand new Toyota wheel trims if someone buys off here - I am in Merseyside so would have to be collected or I would deliver FOC in this area.

if your car was silver someone on here is looking for a silver 2007 d4d car. hes from manchester. yes ebay would be best what size are the tyres and wheels.

It is silver but I have traded it in today I am afraid. Wheels are 15 inch so will fit any Corolla 2002 - 07, and are brand new and official Toyota parts. Tyres are Michelin Alpin A4 in 195/60 R15 and again are brand new. Cost £420 new, got receipts and am happy for anyone to collect if interested. Will chuck in a set of brand new Toyota wheel trims if someone buys off here - I am in Merseyside so would have to be collected or I would deliver FOC in this area.

ok what did you get?

auris??

reply to my personal message that i have sent you.

Sorry didn't see them - replied now thanks.

No I got a Hyundai i30 - nearly new. Bit sad at leaving Toyota but the new car is lovely and really nice to drive too.

Aww... Pity as I know that car is nice to drive, but that's no good if it's not being reliable :(

Seems Toyota better be careful, Hyundai look to be trying to undercut the boring but reliable crown out from under them! :lol:

Diesel engine? What's it like?

Haven't come across many strong clean reliable diesel engines like the D4D's... they're either very smoky if you floor them, relatively gutless or just plain unreliable!

Aww... Pity as I know that car is nice to drive, but that's no good if it's not being reliable :(

Seems Toyota better be careful, Hyundai look to be trying to undercut the boring but reliable crown out from under them! :lol:

Diesel engine? What's it like?

Haven't come across many strong clean reliable diesel engines like the D4D's... they're either very smoky if you floor them, relatively gutless or just plain unreliable!

:sneaky2:

You know what Cyker, this is my 2nd i30 also and I have to say that they are also wonderful cars. They drive superbly and the new iteration of the 1.6 CRDi engine is every bit as good if not better than the D-4D - it was very different from my first i30 which was an 07 plate so new engine and gearbox have made it a lovely car to drive. As you have probably gathered from this thread I've always been a Toyota fan but it's really evident that Hyundai/Kia are catching them up in every respect.

I think the D-4D, in terms of its contemporaries, is probably a bit dated now hence Toyota's hook up with BMW. The HDi (Peugeot), TDi (VW) and TDCi (Ford/PSA) are all really good units - I have spent time in all of them. The CRDi is every bit as good IMO.

The thing that swung it for me is the drive of the i30 and the warranty at the dealer I use (5 years) - it drives superbly and is very quiet and refined for a 1.6; though it is 6 speed and returns 50 - 55 mpg. I was only managing 40 - 45 out of the Corolla. The i30 also has 110 BHP and has plenty of torque in the 1500 - 3000 RPM range, even at cruising speeds. It won't win you any races but it's well powerful enough for me.

The cabin is also a nice place to be.

I was chatting to the Sales guy yesterday and he was telling me that Hyundai can't keep up with demand as there is a huge shift away from people buying 'badges' and moving into a brand which gives piece of mind and performance to rival them, if indeed lacking some of the 'sexy' factor. They will be a real force in cars for many years to come. Kia are the same since Peter Schreyer became head of design - they now make high quality, nice® looking cars. They share the CRDi engine with Hyundai.

Me? I just want a car that is reliable, economical and safe/nice to drive. I'm pretty happy I have got one.

Yeah, Hyundai have gotten a lot better with their more recent gear. It's quite impressive what you get for your money. I do still find them a bit ugly to look at but if they're reliable, who cares? :)

re. engines, I must admit I'm quite biased toward Toyota, but I've found this engine to be far better in terms of reliability and usability than most other diesels I've driven. Certainly the highest revving diesel I've ever seen! :lol:

It's also the first diesel I've actually owned, as before this I wasn't much of a diesel fan, having driven friends' ones and not really enjoyed them :lol:

(Worst experience was an old diesel Ford Orion... oh my god... what a hateful car! :lol:)

Normally I get an itch to change cars 2-3 years but this little Yaris D4D continues to be totally awesome and I can't see myself parting with it for the foreseeable future! :wub: (Also, all the torque abuse has made it very hard for me to drive small petrol engines now... I'm not used to having to run the engine up to 2000rpm to stop it stalling when moving off :lol:)

VW did make good diesel engines, but I think their quest for refinement has cost them a lot of reliability cred - I know when they made the switch from iron block PD's to alloy CR those engines had lots of issues. The smaller ones are pretty good tho', nice low down pull with a bit of a turbo kick but a lot smokier than mine and tend to run longer gears which costs them torque.

Don't know much about the french diesels (I tend to try and avoid french cars in general!) but the PSA one they put in the Aygo was absolutely terrible! They really should have used the D4D instead, it was literally better in every way! Man, an Aygo with a 1.4 D4D would be so much fun! :D

My dad has a Focus TDCi and it's a lot smoother than my D4D, but it keeps having lots of minor issues, the most recent being problems with the injectors. I had a go in a newer 1.6 Fiesta and wasn't that impressed; It felt a lot weaker in the low end than mine despite being a bigger engine, but there's a bit more umph when the turbo properly spins up. That all may be because it was an Eco-thingy one tho'.

BMW engines in general seem to have a reputation for early turbo failure, and every one I know who's owned a BWM diesel (Admittedly that's 2 people...) has had some sort of turbocharger problem with it at some point (Usually before flogging the car off :lol:)

Maybe the partnership will sort that out, but my impression is that Toyota don't care about diesel any more and want to cut R&D into it completely; They only keep them around for the euro market until they can properly replace it with HSD!

Agree with most of that, particularly the bit about Toyota's abandonment of diesel. i think the 1.9 VW/Audi TDi was pretty good and very economical ut that every manufacturer has made diesels just far too complex. A cursory read of Honest John will see hundreds of regaled tales of DPF issues et al. I haven't heard too many issues with the i30, or CRDi unit, at all so am pretty hopeful it's a safe bet. I have a warranty to fall back on if I get any problems and the dealer I go to is excellent.

Petrol? What's that? :no:

I will do thank you.

If anyone is interested/knows of anyone interested in the wheels/tyres I'd appreciate some help shifting them - they're a real bargain.

Thanks all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links