Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Avensis Tourer Offside Fog Light

Nightstalker

Hi All

On a wee drive from Scotland back down south I heard this Thock sound... didnt think much of it at the time... Windscreen was ok Lights were on... so thought something off the M6 hit the body work... NEVER thought of checking the fog lights....

I caught the offside front fog lens at the corner of my eye, the other day, and low and behold the !Removed! lens has bought it :boxed:

So, on the phone to my local MR T and been quoted around the £93 for the whole unit, as they dont sell a lens cover as such so it has to be the whole lamp :crazy: .

Now forking out that amount and then having to pay another £50 plus VAT for fitting it gets my back up :nono:

SO my question here is... has anyone here replaced one of these before, and if yes can you please let us know :

1. how much of a pain in the rear it is to replace

2. how to replace it :blushing:

Cheers

Rob

Hello mate, this is not an easy job by any means, they recommend you remove the front bumper which is not too bad once you have done it for the first time then you can get at the light as it comes off with the bumper. The problem is that it will be very easy to damage the bumper paintwork as it becomes very flexible, I think you may be able to remove the front part of the inner wing plastic liner to get at the screws that hold the light into the bumper.

I have attached some diagrams to help you decide what to do, just click on each diagram to enlarge.

Regards

Pete.

post-74463-0-77567900-1353583776_thumb.j

post-74463-0-44380200-1353583791_thumb.j

post-74463-0-30247800-1353584171_thumb.j

It should be easy enough with the bumper removed. Best loosen the bumper and get somebody to lift it off with you, as Pete says it all gets a bit wobbly (ooh err missus) and is easy to damage. Get a large sheet or similar to put it down on and then wrap it and put it to one side so it does not get scratched

Kingo :thumbsup:

Does the bumper really have to be removed? I mean, surly if I just wanted to replace the light bulb I wouldnt have to remove the bumper to do this?

Also Pete, the diagrams you've added seem to be for the previous shaped Avensis, or are the bumper mountings the same for the new shape Avensis?

If the bumber has to come off then I think its a trip to MR T to get it done as I dont have the facillities to undertake such a task... :-(

Can anyone add to this please... Surly out of all us new shape avensis drivers I'm not the only one who's had an issue with the fog lamps???

And Pete, thanks for the pics, but they are for the older shaped avensis, pre 2009... Do you know if he process is the same for the new shape avensis....sorry to be harping on, but is hate to have to fork out around £150 to get this job done.... When I could give it a go myself ;-)

I have the manual for the new avensis post 2009 but i wont have to hand until tomorrow, i bought it on eBay off soneone in latvia of all places, he will give a download with full instructions on how to retrieve it aswell, it is a full repair manual for the new model, give that a go mate!! Could save you a pretty penny!!!

His name is partsdepo_lv just type into eBay 'avensis t27 repair manual' it wont let me copy the item number for some reason but that will get you the item. It has a huge description and just email him on purchase and he will give you a download link with a full description on how to download the file, You get it in cd form aswell so dont worry, and its all toyota technical info

Hope this helps you out!!!

Cheers guys...

To be honest, taking into consideration the time of year I've been instructed :disgust: to not fix the lamp until after Christmas... So looks like this is one for the new year :dontgetit:

So for now, I'm off to get some decent sticky tape and tape the lens over, unless someone here can tell me it makes no difference these days if the interior gets wet... then I'll just leave it as is... I know that once I've taped it up I should not use the lights as it would most probably melt the sticky tape. Then it'll be a trip to MR T as I dont have the facillity to take the bumper off and place it in a safe location as my parking is outside and I dont have a garage, and trying to bring the bumper in the house would open another can of worms trying to accomodate the bumper around 3 ankle snappers and the wife :death:

The CD might be a good option to have though..

• 2 months later...

Hi Nightstalker,

Did you ever manage to do this job yourself? I have to do this job myself within the next couple of weeks, as I have a lease car going back.

I've bought a replacement unit from fleebay, so I was wondering if it could be changed without the complete removal of the bumper?

Cheers

Jinks

Just to update this

The job of changing the front foglight on a T27 avensis is quite easy and only needs part of the inner wing liner losening, and not the whole of the front bumper as perviuosly suggested.

Once the inner wing liner has been lossened it just needs a phillips screwdriver to change the unit. it took me about 30 mins to do from start to finish.

Cheers

Jinks