Alloy Wheel Rim Protectors

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All

Has anyone had any experience (tried/tested) with the following products:

ALLOYGATORS:

http://www.alloygator.co.uk/index.asp?page_ID=23

or maybe

RIMBLADES

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=rim+protectors&department=all&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

IF so...please kindly let us know. Thank you.

:band:

oh, neat, I didn't even know such things existed! :D

I must admit tho', they don't look like they'd be particularly effective in anything other than a light kerbing situation; Any kerbing bad enough to grind into the rim would surely just tear the rubber thing off at the adhesive...?

Thanks Cyker...Anybody else out there who has or had them??? :football:

Auto Express have an article on these this week (28 Nov to 4th Dec). Rimblades are just self adhesive and cost £39.99 - Auto Express gave these 2 stars. The rubber doesn't stand up well to knocks, and AE are not sure the adhesive would withstand a pressure washer. Alloygators - you have to deflate the wheel, insert reinforcing tabs, and secure the product using a rubber mallet and secateurs - cost £59.94. Alloygators have approved fitters - the cost of fitting is around £40 according to Auto Express. Alloygators also come with some sort of tool you can use re-finish the product when scuffed. AE gave Alloygators 4 stars

Auto Express have an article on these this week (28 Nov to 4th Dec). Rimblades are just self adhesive and cost £39.99 - Auto Express gave these 2 stars. The rubber doesn't stand up well to knocks, and AE are not sure the adhesive would withstand a pressure washer. Alloygators - you have to deflate the wheel, insert reinforcing tabs, and secure the product using a rubber mallet and secateurs - cost £59.94. Alloygators have approved fitters - the cost of fitting is around £40 according to Auto Express. Alloygators also come with some sort of tool you can use re-finish the product when scuffed. AE gave Alloygators 4 stars

THANKS Frostyballs, interesting stuff, so Alloygators are the best option...IF one wanted such a product...which by the responses so far i don't think anyones interested lol, but its interesting to know how much it all costs which is pretty dear! :eat:

I stuck a firm that supplied rim protectors into my favorites list,.they seemed robust and they came in diffferent colours but on reading Sams post i tried to retreave the detaills but something altogether different came up.

the name metioned on here dont jog any memory. But this is going back over a year ago.

Not sure if this is the same firm i mentioned above or not but try www.spartanrimprotector.co.uk

These come in a choice of colours.there is a vidio showing fitting.

These and otheres like them can only protect against scuffing nothing is going to stop dented rims if you hit things like kirbs hard.

One thing I'm wondering is what happens if you get a puncture and need to get a new tyre? I have my doubts about whether any of these would survive the removal and refit!

I think it would be better off getting smaller rims and/or thicker tyres so the sidewall bulges out more, or get a low-profile tyre with a rimguard block built into it...

I must admit tho', I'm finding the steel wheels on my Yaris give a slightly better ride than the alloys did, plus I don't give a smeg if I kerb them! :D They seem to absorb bumps and road noise vibrations a lot better - It's quite noticeable on the motorway!

I'm seriously considering leaving them on rather than putting the alloys back on! :lol: Am I crazy!? :eek:

They do look damned ooooogleh tho'.. nasty rusty black wheels :( Maybe if I get some covers for them... :unsure: :P

On the vidio on my earlier post about Spartan rim protectors it shows you jack up the car first the deflate the tyre and the by hand push the tyre wall back far enough to fit the protector,

It takes a lot of pressure to break the seal between the wheel rim and tyre even more so if that tyre has on the wheel for any lengh of time.