Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Deep?

Aycee

The intake is tucked in behind the headlight facing backwards;

Airintake.jpg

that pipe curls round under the chassis and back up to the engine. In the bottom of the curl is a bottle;

IMG_0508.jpg

That bottle will hold maybe a couple of litres of water. It can't be open to atmosphere or it would suck deep water in and defeat the object so it is only open at the top connection. In this way it can catch a couple of litres of water and it will self empty by drawing vapour in a venturi action. However, if you exceed 2 litres or get water in the intake twice you are pretty well screwed. The last chance saloon is the air filter which might stop and hold maybe a mug full but then it is next stop turbo (which could well shatter through shock and then worse still into the engine. What happens next depends on how fast you are going. If you are lucky it will just thud to a dead stop and lock the wheels but any kind of inertia will not be stood by the con rods and crank.

It is basically "good night nurse". It will smash anything in its way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Kev

• anchorman

• Davrav

• Aycee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why did my writing go tiny? I blame that white Yaris that keeps floating about my screen.

Question about air intake has not been answered, anyone got the gen? lots of floods in the shires at the moment (more to come), wading through with the RAV and the moment and all seems OK. Owned a Renault Espace once, waded, sucked up water through air intake on bottom of the front bumper!!!!! £3,000 for a new engine!!!!!

Lloydy28

Dont think 3K will buy a new engine for a Rav !.............

I'm not sure where this 600mm comes from?

From the Toyota Europe site it says:

Off Road

Min. running ground clearance (mm) 180

Approach angle (°) 28

Departure angle (°) 24

Ramp brake over angle (°) 20

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 10km/h 500

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 30km/h 300

I plead guilty Phil, you are absolutely correct, should not have relied on memory, for the RAV the figures are only printed on page 44 of the sales brochure. The handbook has the best advice of all on page 411 "Do not drive on a road that has flooded after heavy rain etc" although on the next page it says" if driving through water check the depth", with no guidance as to what one should look for.

A point to consider is that the vents in the gearbox and diffs can easily be submerged adding further risk of expensive damage.

I'm not sure where this 600mm comes from?

From the Toyota Europe site it says:

Off Road

Min. running ground clearance (mm) 180

Approach angle (°) 28

Departure angle (°) 24

Ramp brake over angle (°) 20

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 10km/h 500

Wading depth (mm) : Speed under 30km/h 300

I plead guilty Phil, you are absolutely correct, should not have relied on memory, for the RAV the figures are only printed on page 44 of the sales brochure. The handbook has the best advice of all on page 411 "Do not drive on a road that has flooded after heavy rain etc" although on the next page it says" if driving through water check the depth", with no guidance as to what one should look for.

A point to consider is that the vents in the gearbox and diffs can easily be submerged adding further risk of expensive damage.

Gearbox and Diff vents ? ? ....on a Rav4 ?

I had alook at mine and the air intake is not in the wheel arch, its actually above radiator face towards the inside of the car, is that normal for the 4.2? or could it have been moved? It should be very difficult unless the engine was completely submerged to suck up any water.

See me......now that I know (from where...? Here....) I can wade through 600mm of standing water, I will definitely......avoid like the bloomin' plague. If ah have the slightest doubt, I would not even think about going through it....detours are us. The experience of Webler McKevrav enough for me, thanks.

"Hello...is that you, Hairylip? How much is it for wan of them D-Cat engines.....?" Nah......

Cow Hard Kev.

Anyhoo - revs up, low speed, little bow wave - no problem

Keep the revs down surely? If you go through on idle and the engine starts picking up water it's got a much better chance of stalling out, if you're gunning it then it's got all that momentum to overcome first.

Now a Landrover with a snorkel, on the other hand, has so many leaks it wouldn't have a problem as the water just goes in at the front and out the back :boat:

I used to enjoy watching the Camel Trophy Landys going through rivers with the water up to the bottom of the steering wheel :eek:

The handbook has the best advice of all on page 411 "Do not drive on a road that has flooded after heavy rain etc" although on the next page it says" if driving through water check the depth", with no guidance as to what one should look for.

Get the wife to walk in front of the car! (Just like you would crossing a minefield...) :bag:

I think the other danger is water getting into the engine via the exhaust system. Keeping the revs up will ensure the exhaust gases coming out will prevent the water getting in.

I think the other danger is water getting into the engine via the exhaust system. Keeping the revs up will ensure the exhaust gases coming out will prevent the water getting in.

Idling is enough to keep the water out of the exhaust. The risk of revving is that it will difintely wreck the engine if it gets in the intake.

Unless a) you're driving backwards at speed through water high enough to cover your tail pipe

or b.) your car is already completely submerged.

Go out, start your car, let it idle and try to block the exhaust with your hand (use a rag) - how much water pressure would it take to overcome that? Even if the engine was off the water would have to be high enough to enter through the exhaust manifold and how high is that? Higher than 600mm anyway, so if it's that high your engine's already toast..

I always believed (films about camel trophy etc.) that high revs (not a racing engine) would be required to prevent any chance of any water entering the exhaust.

Note that if you take your foot of the gas water will be drawn into the exhaust and thence the engine.

How not to do it:

I'm always amazed by how quickly duckweed spreads. It can be a proper pain in the summer.

Might have been an idea to learn how to swim before trying that little stunt..............

Had to watch that on you tube...as my pc blocked it !.

O M G ! ! !.

The poor pond life there,having to put up with that...and a rotting landy.

Grabbed this from TV on the BBC news earlier.

Is it a 3 door RAV??

post-111709-0-10000000-1353921517_thumb.

Grabbed this from TV on the BBC news earlier.

Is it a 3 door RAV??

post-111709-0-10000000-1353921517_thumb.

Looks like a Mitsubishi 3 Door "4 Work" I think, Paul, with some show off airse at the wheel more than likely......and if one spoonerises said name, one gets Kingo's recent appearance.........Bitsimushi....naw....?

Big Kev

Disagree with you there Kev, that silly idiot is driving a Fourtrac!!!!! Remrember them?

Regards Clare

It's a SWB Shogun me thinks, I had one once, swb diesel with every extra available at the time (Sept 1995), it was stunning, I woke up one morning 12 days in to owning it and it was gone, as was a lwb shogun from the farm down the hill from me ! Tea leaves.....

Well, I suppose the water is only up to his knees.................

, one gets Kingo's recent appearance.........Bitsimushi....naw....?

Oi, I heard that!!!

Disagree with you there Kev, that silly idiot is driving a Fourtrac!!!!! Remrember them?

Regards Clare

Heard of it I have never, Clare....who made it....?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links