Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheels Re-Placement For T180

RoadUser

Dear Club Member,

I am currently looking to purchase my first Toyota 4.3, most probably I will go for T180 (07/08).

As I regularly visit mainland Europe. I will need winter tyres.. and here comes my dilemma.

Would you recommend:

a. Get Run Flat winter tyres? What cost should I expect?

b. Get another set of wheels (17") with winter tyres? What size should I go for / what will fit T180? (18" Run Flat for summer, 17" for winter season)

c. Remove the Run Flat tyres & ring from the wheels and go for normal winter & summer tyres?

d. Stay away from T180 and get XT5 with 17"?

Have you got any experience with any of the above? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by RoadUser

What I did was buy a set of replica alloys from the link below.

CANT FIND THE LINK BUT WILL LATER

I fitted winter tyres in the form of Vredestien Wintrac4 extremes to them..

It is NOT possible to fit run flat winter tyres to the standard T180 wheels without removing the BSR kit from the wheels.. Only one tyre can retain the BSR gear and that is the standard tyre,,,,,,,

This totally transforms the ride quality of the T180.. Not because the side walls of the standard T180 tyres are very hard like most run flats but because you are removing so much weight by eliminating the BSR gear from within the tyres.. Honestly the difference is massive !!!

I was going to simply re install the original wheels for summer but could never go back to the rock solid uncompromising ride so swapped the winters for a set of Pirreli Scorpions instead...Leaving the original set of wheels and tyres stacked in the garage.

My car is currently for sale and you will find pictures her on the forum.. It has had the usual issues that blight the T180 sorted now !!

Any way this is not intended as a post to sell you a car !!

Change the frankly !Removed! awfull set up if you buy either a T180 or SR 180 ! Best thing you will do !

This should be good :)

Avoiding the T180 / SR180 and the BSR is the simplest solution (d). You just get a car the way Mr T meant it to be and get an extra set of wheels and tyres for winter.

RAVs with the BSR system also come with TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) fitted into the valves. If you replace the wheels the TPMS will trigger and flash a warning light on the dash. So it starts to get a bit complicated: You can do and simply ignore the flashing TPMS warning light or you can cut / put a switch into the 'pink wire' to disable TPMS. Whether you choose the or [c] variation of this option is taste and fancy - I'd want to swap wheels rather than tyres.

I don't think (a) is an option.

Edit: Having just seen Charlie's post ... I've retained the BSR system on my SR180 and will stay away from countries that mandate winter tyres. The RAV copes perfectly well on snow and ice with the Bridgestones with the BSR system, and I've no real complaints about handling or ride. However, I've never yet tried driving it without the BSR system! ;)

And ... my next car won't have the BSR system fitted as standard and will have it's own set of winter wheels ... :)

This totally transforms the ride quality of the T180.. Not because the side walls of the standard T180 tyres are very hard like most run flats but because you are removing so much weight by eliminating the BSR gear from within the tyres.. Honestly the difference is massive !!!

The difference is for better or worse? Would I be able to fit new set of 16"/17" on the T180 or does it has to be 18"?

I would actually prefer to go for 16", more rubber = better ride.

I'm pretty sure BlueVortex went down to 17" winter tyres on his T180 (blast-from-the-past).

I don't think you can go lower than 17".

The alloys Charlie is talking about are the Catania replicas. I had a set too. We both agreed they were very good quality.

Getting rid of the BSR system really is the best modification that can be done to the T180 / SR 180.. Ask anyone who has done it..

The thing with fitting winter tyres is its just not for everyone.. If you only work locally and do not rely on being able to make some journeys then of course its a complete wast of time and money...

If doing long distance or travelling abroad it becomes almost a necessity.

If those journeys are essential and you require the extra safety that comes with winter kit then that's another matter altogether, This subject has been covered many many times ...

I honestly could never imagine going back to the horrible hard and very uncompromising ride that comes with the standard car !! Once tried I bet most if not all would agree !

I cant see why going to 17 inch wheels would be a problem.. I think the extra profile in tyres would give a similar rolling radius and it should be just fine....

My SR is on 17s for the winter and it feels quite nice I think I can hear them on very smooth tarmac but not at all bad. The original 18s (non runflat) were only on for a couple of hundred miles so not had a real feel for them but I didn't notice a big difference from the previous motor with 17s. I suspect if buying wheels and tyres then 17s would be cheaper but check with your insurers and like Charlie says, make sure they are aware that it is the same rolling radius as the original.

I'm pretty sure BlueVortex went down to 17" winter tyres on his T180 (blast-from-the-past).

I don't think you can go lower than 17".

The alloys Charlie is talking about are the Catania replicas. I had a set too. We both agreed they were very good quality.

Any link where I could buy those Catania replicas?

check with your insurers and like Charlie says, make sure they are aware that it is the same rolling radius as the original.

Is this treated as a modification? I was not aware of this.

Getting rid of the BSR system really is the best modification that can be done to the T180 / SR 180.. Ask anyone who has done it..

The thing with fitting winter tyres is its just not for everyone.. If you only work locally and do not rely on being able to make some journeys then of course its a complete wast of time and money...

If those journeys are essential and you require the extra safety that comes with winter kit then that's another matter altogether, This subject has been covered many many times ...

I honestly could never imagine going back to the horrible hard and very uncompromising ride that comes with the standard car !! Once tried I bet most if not all would agree !

I cant see why going to 17 inch wheels would be a problem.. I think the extra profile in tyres would give a similar rolling radius and it should be just fine....

There are some wheels+tyres deals starting from about £200 each.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v362w9orxr7x8wg/Alloy%20complete%20wheel_%20AEZ%20Wave%20_%20Vredestein%20Wintrac-4-xtreme%20225_65%20R17%20102%20H%20-%20mytyres.co.pdf

Would you recommend any given brand for wheels?

Catanias:

http://www.performan...ls.aspx?ID=1757

17" and 18" sizes

I just came back with the link Mate !!... I was looking for Projex Design where I got my ones from but they seem to no longer stock WSP wheels.......

The wheels are the best quality I've seen and are of a better more durable finish than even the factory originals as the painted parts have a thicker more lustrous paint.... Not cheap but the quality rarely is !

RavWinterwheels002.jpg

Catanias:

http://www.performan...ls.aspx?ID=1757

17" and 18" sizes

Thanks.

£170 each, reasonable. Still, they are much more expensive they others I found online. Would you say they very good value for money? Wheels plus tyres and all together will come to £1400-1600.

I paid 1500 quid for the four wheels complete with new bolts centre caps Vredestien Wintrac4 Extremes ( Very high quality tyre giving exceptional wear rates) all fitted balanced and delivered........

RavWinterwheels003.jpg

RavWinterwheels006.jpg

RavWinterwheels015.jpg

RavWinterwheels012.jpg

I thought not bad value considering the quality and I am exceptionally fussy !

https://www.dropbox.... mytyres.co.pdf

Changing from Non BSR equipped wheels and tyres IS classed as a notifiable modification because you are deviating from the standard equipment of the car.. It is however not charged for .. Or was not in my case..

It will mean carrying either a spare wheel or a puncture repair kit ..

I found the novelty of humping the spare wheel (In my case one of the original wheels) in and out of the car soon wore off and carried a repair kit with the Slime brand stuff that goes in the tyre as it is a water based gloop and does not render the tyre unrepairable if you have to use it.. In addition to this I also carried a repair kit with those strings that are very effective...

Thanks for the pics. They look very solid.

They are not cheap.

WSP ITALY Catania 17x7 + Vredestein WINTRAC 4 XTREME 235/65R17 = £1,309.04 (there are Vredestein with 18")

https://www.dropbox.... mytyres.co.pdf

Changing from Non BSR equipped wheels and tyres IS classed as a notifiable modification because you are deviating from the standard equipment of the car.. It is however not charged for .. Or was not in my case..

It will mean carrying either a spare wheel or a puncture repair kit ..

I found the novelty of humping the spare wheel (In my case one of the original wheels) in and out of the car soon wore off and carried a repair kit with the Slime brand stuff that goes in the tyre as it is a water based gloop and does not render the tyre unrepairable if you have to use it.. In addition to this I also carried a repair kit with those strings that are very effective...

What about the TPMS System? Can I just ignore that? As I would use the run flats /18" in summer season.

Thanks for the pics. They look very solid.

They are not cheap.

WSP ITALY Catania 17x7 + Vredestein WINTRAC 4 XTREME 235/65R17 = £1,309.04 (there are Vredestein with 18")

As you can see from the label on the pic above I went for the 18 " option as I wanted to keep the car looking as original as possible..

Most people would buy a different style of wheel for a fresher different look but IMHO the standard bright silver five spoke 18 inch wheels are one of the best things about the T180...

There are many alternatives on the market but I never for a minute regretted buying the WSPs cos of the quality and originality of looks it gave the car....

If you are considering a T180 then keep a bit aside for a Lindop tuning box which transforms the drive of the car and gives far far better fuel consumption..

I gather you will be doing big mileage ? So it will pay for its self in no time !

What is Lindop tuning box, how do I get this what are the benefits (mpg, bhp)?

I do about 40k miles/year. But, I expect to do more now next year.

There is a sticky which I wrote some time ago which deals with the TPMS in some depth...

It really is a very easy job to add a switch so you can arm or disarm the TPMS system at the flick of a switch...

See here..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130476

Any questions just ask ? I don't come on here often but many here understand how to do it and I will answer when I can...

What is Lindop tuning box, how do I get this what are the benefits (mpg, bhp)?

I do about 40k miles/year. But, I expect to do more now next year.

PM Kingo who is the parts guru on this forum.. He works for Lindop Toyota and will be able to supply the kit needed

Basically its a piggyback tuning box.. It can be fitted/removed in around five minutes..

It takes the power from 176 to aprox 210 BHP.. But its not about the power its the far better and smoother power curve it gives the engine. Instead of changing down you just apply a wee bit more throttle and away you go..

My car was used for long motorway trips and would give 42 MPG on a very regular basis and that was measured by brim to brim filling not reading the computer.. Round town 33 to 36 MPG is dead easy..

From memory said box is 350 to 400 quid but come time to sell the car its easy to remove and sell on..

I believe it is not possible to remap the Denso ECU because of its complexity and no one yet has cracked one ...

If you are going to do 40K per year you cant really afford to be without one !

Thanks for all the info. I must say that this run flats are causing a lot of problem!

I have some thinking to do now! :)

I am sure some people will disagree with the comment I am about to make but I would NOT suggest buying those Replica wheels to use as winter tyres, and this is the reason ....

They are diamond cut on the Rim and top of the spokes, and the problem with that is that with that finish there is no protection from the elements other then a layer of lacquer which is scant protection from the grit that is used by the local authorities in the UK.

My Cantanias all had water ingress at the rim edges and corrosion starting under the lacquer, and this was most unlikely to be caused by 'abuse' such as kerb scraping as the rim edge is so protected by the actual tyre.

I would go for the wheels that Anchorman (Don) bought as they a) look really nice and b ) are fully painted, not diamond cut so much better for Winter use (and being 17" I bet the Winter tyres are cheaper as well :) )

I bought genuine Toyota wheels in grey basically because I came across them for sale. I prefer genuine wheels or the copies with hub caps that Charlie bought rather than plain aftermarket ones. Don't get me wrong, they may suite your budget and it makes far more sense to have a set of wheels than swapping tyres on rims and I would defo' detach myself from the RFT shackles.

I would just sit tight for a bit. Genuine wheels will pop up soon if the Italian jobs are a bit too step.

My Cantanias all had water ingress at the rim edges and corrosion starting under the lacquer, and this was most unlikely to be caused by 'abuse' such as kerb scraping as the rim edge is so protected by the actual tyre.

I had a look to see if there was a warranty on the Catanias, but I couldn't find anything and I had bought them 2 years ago last week.

Edit: only a one year warranty: http://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-tech.aspx

An alternative for RoadUser is good old steel wheels: http://www.oponeo.co...ta/rav4/suv/iii

But they show size 16" for the T180 (130kW). You could check with them - £95 each inc. vat and delivery isn't too bad.