Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo 1Litre Gearbox Issues?

Black9

Hi guys, currently my mum has a 2011 aygo go with a 1 litre petrol engine & 5spd manual gearbox.

I'm currently using it & have noticed when putting the car into reverse it makes a grinding noise as if the clutch isn't fully engagaged. If I slot into reverse ultra slow then it's fine but at normal speeds it crunches.

Is this a common problem. The cars just past it's first 10K service but from my local garage rather than toyota. Also it was bought from Arnold Clark. Would this make a difference to any warranty work if clutch or gearbox is knackered?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys, currently my mum has a 2011 aygo go with a 1 litre petrol engine & 5spd manual gearbox.

I'm currently using it & have noticed when putting the car into reverse it makes a grinding noise as if the clutch isn't fully engagaged. If I slot into reverse ultra slow then it's fine but at normal speeds it crunches.

Is this a common problem. The cars just past it's first 10K service but from my local garage rather than toyota. Also it was bought from Arnold Clark. Would this make a difference to any warranty work if clutch or gearbox is knackered?

Thanks in advance

How fast do you need to engage reverse gear?..........what do you call "Normal speed"?

at normal speeds it crunches.

As I understand you do not engage reverse gear while it is moving forward. You stop and then engage reverse gear. Where does this question of "at normal speed it crunches" come in, I don't really get it, sorry.

Also where is the clutch biting point in any gear? If you select first gear and slowly let the clutch up is it wanting to engage low down or with the pedal about half way for example. It might be simply be a matter of clutch adjustment.

Sorry for any confusion. I only engage reverse when the car is stationary. The biting point is towards the top of the clutch travel & by normal speeds I mean I put the car into reverse with the same momentum I put my manual golf into reverse. If I slot it into reverse slowly the car is fine. Seems odd for such a new car?

I suspect it may just be that the Aygo gearbox is unbrilliant and this is 'normal'.

We have an MMT and that often takes a couple of seconds to get into reverse and sometimes with a clunk, whereas 1st is normally straight in. And I had a Aygo manual loaner (with about 1500 miles on it) from the dealer last week and getting that into reverse was hard work on several occasions though I don't think it crunched (and I also felt the clutch bite was rather high up).