Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Mileage Toyota Vehicles

rambler

Just been looking on E**y at various Toyota Rav's,Landcruiser Colorado's,Amazons......etc etc.

I'm struck by the some of them,still looking in great condition with 160'000 to 240'000 miles on clock.

Looking at old R reg's through to 51 to 54 Reg's.

Just how do Toyota build a vehicle that is made to last...............

Regular servicing.I've got a Celica gen6 cabriolet that has 240,000 mls on the clock and does'nt use oil between changes and is only 4psi down on factory spec, and the engine has never been opened up apart from a front crankshaft oil seal.

Keith

Mines done 230. Time to start thinkin...............is that the mrs?

My brother in law has a N reg surf and had to have a front wing replaced due to it being pranged.

When the old one was removed we were amazed how sound it was underneath.

It was assumed it was because of how well the panels were galvanised.

Is there different grades of this treatment?

This vehicle is mainly used for towing a caravan to county shows etc so has had some serious mud thrown at it and also travels to venues through the winter, so it it only a workhorse and has only had servicing done when they came up

Del

Why would anybody buy any other brand? They know how to build them. I accept they got the T180 engine wrong, but Land Cruisers,Rav's etc are built to last. I think a T180 Rav may represent the bargain of the century at the moment.

The older ones seem to be bullet proof.

However, not convinced about the later diesel engines as evidenced by so many faults and engine failures/changes highlighted on here.

Why would anybody buy any other brand? They know how to build them. I accept they got the T180 engine wrong, but Land Cruisers,Rav's etc are built to last. I think a T180 Rav may represent the bargain of the century at the moment.

I agree. We've had 6 Toyotas (RAV's, Yaris, LC, Aygo) over the past 12 years with Saabs & BMW's as co. cars at the same time. I have to say, if I'm spending my own money, it's hard not to go with Mr.T. Reliabilty & cost wise, our Toyotas have been the best although Saab (used to) make the most ergonomically brilliant seats in any car, ever - I could drive my 9.5 for hours on end and still step out without an ache or a twinge (& I have a spine with more damage than you'd believe). Loved that car. The curse of a million sand fleas on Mr. GM's genitalia - baastaardds!! On the other hand the seats in my 4.2 3-dr are crap - the 5-dr's are fine, strangely enough.

My current problem is what I replace (one) of our RAVs with. Currently keen on the BMW X6 & the new Skoda Superb 4x4 estate.

Why do you 'need' to change the Rav? Why not get a 4.3.5? All issues sorted and a lovely motor? I have been to the Skoda factory. It's all VW/Audi parts and all VW engines are built there. My father-in-law has had 3 Octavias now. Dealer service is woeful up this way though, and they don't feel as well built as my Rav. I reckon Skoda will bring out a Toureg rival in the next year or 2. May be worth hanging on? I'd be hard pressed to move away from Toyota, except for a Shogun!

I agree. We've had 6 Toyotas (RAV's, Yaris, LC, Aygo) over the past 12 years with Saabs & BMW's as co. cars at the same time. I have to say, if I'm spending my own money, it's hard not to go with Mr.T. Reliabilty & cost wise, our Toyotas have been the best although Saab (used to) make the most ergonomically brilliant seats in any car, ever - I could drive my 9.5 for hours on end and still step out without an ache or a twinge (& I have a spine with more damage than you'd believe). Loved that car. The curse of a million sand fleas on Mr. GM's genitalia - baastaardds!! On the other hand the seats in my 4.2 3-dr are crap - the 5-dr's are fine, strangely enough.

My current problem is what I replace (one) of our RAVs with. Currently keen on the BMW X6 & the new Skoda Superb 4x4 estate.

Jacques........you buy a Nex Six, and ah will never speak choo again.......bonus, eh.....? Now.....where can ah buy an unusual jelly mould for Christmas......? Neighbour just got a black wan.....with MATT BLACK alloys........FFS.......

The older ones seem to be bullet proof.

However, not convinced about the later diesel engines as evidenced by so many faults and engine failures/changes highlighted on here.

Yes it certainly seems to be that way,built to last,and bullet proof ,very good build quality,tough vehicles,the interior / seats seem to be hardwaring,unless you give it some serious abuse the stitching on the seats does'nt come apart.

As long as they are well maintained,should go on for years.

Why do you 'need' to change the Rav? Why not get a 4.3.5? All issues sorted and a lovely motor? I have been to the Skoda factory. It's all VW/Audi parts and all VW engines are built there. My father-in-law has had 3 Octavias now. Dealer service is woeful up this way though, and they don't feel as well built as my Rav. I reckon Skoda will bring out a Toureg rival in the next year or 2. May be worth hanging on? I'd be hard pressed to move away from Toyota, except for a Shogun!

I've never taken to the 4.3, Dom, nor has Better Half. The 4.3 seemed a backward step, styling wise, although they are roomier. As for the Toerag, if I was going to go for something bigger than the RAV then it would be an LC - the VW isn't a patch on the LC.

Jacques........you buy a Nex Six, and ah will never speak choo again.......bonus, eh.....? Now.....where can ah buy an unusual jelly mould for Christmas......? Neighbour just got a black wan.....with MATT BLACK alloys........FFS.......

Umm, sounds lovely! I don't know why the motoring press have got it in for the X6 - perhaps they all want to out-Jeremy Mr. Clarkson. I think the fact that it looks so different, has lots of room, has 4WD and can go like shoite (as BMWs do, of course) makes it very interesting. Then again maybe I just have no taste, but who cares, eh? You pays your money & you takes your choice.

the early ones i had up to 1991 were just rust related, mechanically always been spot on.'73 corolla was a head gasket after about 90k miles, 83 celica was a cambelt , so i put a new engine (but i was the 7th owner), the '86 corolla gt used to drop out of 5th gear when she had passed the 105k mile mark, the '91 corolla gti was a another front rusty wings job, but mechanically , never touched it. and both the '97 rav and the '02 rav have been really bomb proof motors, the iq3 i have is nearly on 40k miles now, and touch wood is living up to my reliability expectations.

although toyota dont quite make the exact car i want , I'll live with it until they do,