Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking Sensors , How Much And Any Recommendations?

Tara G

Hiya

I have recently bought a rav 4 and want some parking sensors fitted, i am useless with cars so anyone have any idea how and where i can go about getting them fitted? Any idea how much im looking at??

I really dont want the cheap sets that you fit yourself where you see all the wiring

cheers

Tara

Hi Tara, and welcome to the Club. You are correct not to want the cheapo ones, especially if they live up to their reputation of "stray beeps" for sometimes no apparent reason. The official Toyota ones are not cheap, but having had them retro-fitted both to my previous SR180 and my wife's 3 door RAV, THEY PERFORMED FAULTLESSLY. They will also be painted to match your car, albeit at extra cost too. Ask your local Toyota man for a price if you don't have a trusted indie garage to fit them.

It is beyond most folks' DIY capabilities.....I now have a new Rav with a chocolate fireguard...sorry....Reversing Camera. Please also note the technical forum term for these "sensors" is now officially Reversey Beep-Beeps....lol.

Big Kev

Good Lord Kev, for the first time I actually understood what you were writing!!!! As ever good advice :driving:

And Tara, welcome to the forum, I shall watch this as I also want front sensors for my car.

Just a thought, but shouldn't the XT5 already have rear sensors!

Hi Tara, and welcome to the Club. You are correct not to want the cheapo ones, especially if they live up to their reputation of "stray beeps" for sometimes no apparent reason. The official Toyota ones are not cheap, but having had them retro-fitted both to my previous SR180 and my wife's 3 door RAV, THEY PERFORMED FAULTLESSLY. They will also be painted to match your car, albeit at extra cost too. Ask your local Toyota man for a price if you don't have a trusted indie garage to fit them.

It is beyond most folks' DIY capabilities.....I now have a new Rav with a chocolate fireguard...sorry....Reversing Camera. Please also note the technical forum term for these "sensors" is now officially Reversey Beep-Beeps....lol.

Big Kev

Agree 100% with the wee chap from oop noorth.

Mr.T's finest is the way to go. We've had them retro-fitted to both our 4.2's and they work a treat.

You are looking at £250 for Toyota ones. I will be fitting mine to back up the back up camera soon!

I am going to disagree ref the camera though. I personally find the reversing camera wayyyyyyy better then any reversing sensors (beep beeps) and with it can position the RAV within 1/2 " of an obstacle. Fantastic when parking or leaving tight parking spaces. Also retrofitted a camera to my van and again makes reversing a fairly large van with no rear windows much simpler :)

I am going to disagree ref the camera though. I personally find the reversing camera wayyyyyyy better then any reversing sensors (beep beeps) and with it can position the RAV within 1/2 " of an obstacle. Fantastic when parking or leaving tight parking spaces. Also retrofitted a camera to my van and again makes reversing a fairly large van with no rear windows much simpler :)

What? you need a camera for the last 1/2"? I do that anyway. I only have the sensors for more precise manoeuvres!! :thumbsup:

Gosh how quaint no reversy beep beeps on the SR, I have them and a camera on my lowly XT-R, must say I use the beeps more than I do the camera although as Hoovie says the camera is useful for the last few inches, but if I could only have one it would be the bleeps.

Gus

I've got both the camera and beep beeps. The camera is nice to have but I tend to rely on the beeps when parking. The camera is good for getting close to the kerb though.

Thanks guys, didnt think they would be that much but well worth it (being a woman and all that ;-) ) i was supprised to see that my XT5 didnt have them but they are not standard apparently...

I usually have the wife stand behind the car when I'm reversing, when she screams I stop, unless the stereo is too loud........

Be like me......park and walk to the pavement.......

Maybe the camera will grow on me when the rain finally stops, but in all the recent wet weather, all that comes up on Rav's wee telly screen is a total blur of good Scottish rain watter.