Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premium Side Steps/mudflaps - Help Please

zipppydj

Hi All, apologies that I only ever come to the forum when I need help but I know that I always get good advice & help (Anchorman, my hero).

I have just taken delivery of my shiny new XTR D4D in Pearl White (registered end of Sept 12) with 29 miles on the clock, my third RAV. I've had the Style Pack and mudflaps (front & rear) fitted. We had originally looked at brand new Rav in P'Boro showroom but they couldn't find a brand new (Pearl White) one anywhere in the country.

I ended up buying this one from Listers at Nuneaton and didn't realise that the side steps we had seen in the P'Boro showroom were the premium ones. When I collected it from Listers, was surprised to see the same side steps as the ones on my old RAV and then discovered that there were two types. We had just assumed from looking at the one in P'Boro that the side steps had been given an upgrade in looks. The car still looks great but I'd got the Premium side steps in my head as to what it was going to look like. I've arranged for Listers to change then to the Premium ones (at a cost, of course), which they are going to do on Tuesday.

Having since checked out this forum, have read that the Premium Side steps won't fit with front mudflaps. Listers haven't mentioned this, so assume that the sales guys at Listers aren't aware of this, if that is the case.

If I can't have front mudflaps fitted with Premium side steps (which I think is weird for Toyota not to make them fit together), what stops all the muck from the front wheels?

All advice greatfully received, as I need to make my mind up pronto as whether to get them changed or stick with what I've got.

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Kev

• zipppydj

• iiyama

• anchorman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They will fit, you just have to get the Dremel out and cut the mud flaps to fit. I'm sure the dealer will do this for you, they'll be well used to it.

First of all, well done on the new car (we could do with some decent photos).

What concerns me here is that if you ordered the Style Pack you should have got the premium side steps so phone up the dealer and tell them they will fit the new type AT NO COST to you - cheeky r soles.

Now back to these mudflaps. If we ask our old mate Kev or one of the others with said steps, they may look to see if they could be slid back a little to accomodate them but if not, as Dom says, it's Dremmel time.

If you entrust somebody else to do it you may well get a real cobble up so the best option would be to leave the old steps and as they are. If that is the case, you want some money back off ***** Turpin Toyota.

Regards

Ancs.

Slightly off topic but whats the difference between the premium side steps and standard?

The new Premium Steps are the ones with the black rubbery / plastic buttons on them, more than likely copied from Porsche, and have different shaped end cap profiles which don't readily accept the standard front mudflaps.

Hoovie was here last week and dremellified mine to fit.....there is just no escaping the fact THEY WILL NOT FIT without a wee choppy session.

Totally concur with Anchs....who The Friar FITTED OLD STEPS TO YER FACELIFTED RAV.......? Golly gosh as we say up here....

Big Kev.......totally unflappable.

Just the look of them really. The standard are stripey with right angled ends and the premium are tapered with a spotty finish. I prefer the look fo the latter but would insist on having the mudflaps. I wonder if the of the premium step couls be nipped off to a neater finish?

I feel im sort of hijacking and dont mean to! Am looking to fit side steps but the Toyota items are aluminium and I prefer stainless due to the fact that to me they look nicer.

Looking at these at the moment:-

http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/products/ProductDetail/Cobra-Side-Steps-Stainless-for-Toyota-Rav4-Mk3-4-%283-Door%29/SC4X4/PG/GCTORA4/PC3BS13TORA3B/PRvehicle/FB/FPSIDEB.html

I feel im sort of hijacking and dont mean to! Am looking to fit side steps but the Toyota items are aluminium and I prefer stainless due to the fact that to me they look nicer.

http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/products/ProductDetail/Cobra-Side-Steps-Stainless-for-Toyota-Rav4-Mk3-4-%283-Door%29/SC4X4/PG/GCTORA4/PC3BS13TORA3B/PRvehicle/FB/FPSIDEB.html

If you prefer stainless, fill yer bootseez, Ian....but just what grade of stainless do you get, and you are putting them in one hellya hostile environment mate. Aluminium Toyota one may not look as blingy as those you fancy, but seem to last for honks.

Big Kev

The steps foul the mudflaps by maybe 15-20mm I would say, so quite a bit in terms of position adjustment.

The adaption of the flaps is actually pretty straight forward, once the lug that is chopped off at right-angles is removed to allow the flap to be offered up against the wheelarch and side step. If I do another set, I'll take some step-by-step photos.

I'd be VERY surprised if a Toyota Garage agreed to cut a set as they would then have to take responsibility for the fit and appearance, and it IS a trial & error process still - no template for this (and with the current RAV at end of life, little chance of any adapted flaps out the factory)

http://www.autostyli...FB/FPSIDEB.html

If you prefer stainless, fill yer bootseez, Ian....but just what grade of stainless do you get, and you are putting them in one hellya hostile environment mate. Aluminium Toyota one may not look as blingy as those you fancy, but seem to last for honks.

Big Kev

Cant find any detail on the stainless grade, however they are German and you know what they are like with their engineering! Ill probably do the deal next week and report back using a new thread.

Hijacker out!!

http://www.autostyli...FB/FPSIDEB.html

Big Kev

Cant find any detail on the stainless grade, however they are German and you know what they are like with their engineering! Ill probably do the deal next week and report back using a new thread.

Hijacker out!!

Aye mucker.....you will be telling me next that Germany don't import from Far East.....be wary of "stainless".....

There is a difference between "Made in Germany" and "Distributed from Germany"

They are listed as Made in Germany! ;)

However you are right about different grades and I do have an insight as a good friend of mine is a stainless fabricator!

However you are right about different grades and I do have an insight as a good friend of mine is a stainless fabricator!

I've had the pleasure (most of the time) of working with major German engineering companies over the past 25 years and I can tell you that they are just as capable of !Removed! things up as anyone else. Admittedly they are shoite hot on sophisticated stuff but often f**k up the basics. Dangereous to make assumptions.

Re the standard Toyota side steps, we've had them on our 5-dr since 2003 & they still look like new. Also had them fitted to the 3-dr last year. The quality is first class & I'd recommend them every time.

LOL......and ma mate in Germany is called Adolf....he owns a company making sidesteps for cars.....he buys all his stainless from.....

Thanks everyone for their input.

I queried the side steps when I picked it up and Listers assured me that Toyota always send them aluminium side steps if its an after fit rather than the Premium ones that would have been fitted if I had bought a brand new one and had them fitted at the factory. Apparantly it costs them more to fit? They still charged me £920 inc vat for the Style Pack and a further £150 for upgrading to the Premium side steps. I've already paid out the £150 as they said I needed to commit to the upgrade if that's what I wanted when I picked it up.

I'll be giving P'Boro Toyota a call tomorrow and ask what side steps would be supplied if they fitted the Style Pack as an after fit.

I don't really want the mudflaps chopped about and It'll be interesting to see what they come up with when they realise they wont fit.

I'm really disappointed if they have tried to rip me off.

I'll be out with the camera tomorrow (providing it's not peeing down) and post some pics asap. I'll also post an update on how I get on.

If they fit the UNMODIFIED front mudflaps to the RAV with Premium steps, then that will be ok .... Long as you don't intend going around any corners ever ;)

Thanks everyone for their input.

I queried the side steps when I picked it up and Listers assured me that Toyota always send them aluminium side steps if its an after fit rather than the Premium ones that would have been fitted if I had bought a brand new one and had them fitted at the factory. Apparantly it costs them more to fit? They still charged me £920 inc vat for the Style Pack and a further £150 for upgrading to the Premium side steps. I've already paid out the £150 as they said I needed to commit to the upgrade if that's what I wanted when I picked it up.

I'll be giving P'Boro Toyota a call tomorrow and ask what side steps would be supplied if they fitted the Style Pack as an after fit.

I don't really want the mudflaps chopped about and It'll be interesting to see what they come up with when they realise they wont fit.

I'm really disappointed if they have tried to rip me off.

I'll be out with the camera tomorrow (providing it's not peeing down) and post some pics asap. I'll also post an update on how I get on.

2.5 years ago I was charged £600.00 approximately foR the "then style kit". The £920.00 you are quoting is surely for the new side steps (call them premium....call them "spotty wans"....it makes no difference), or at least they should be explaining a 50% price hike in such a short period. Not meaning to prolong yer agony mate, but you have been humped.....shame on them.

I JUST READ YOUR POST AGAIN......it was £920.00 then plus £150.00 "to upgrade to premium".....?

Only very recently whilst speccing up my new SR, the £920.00 only came up when I opted for style pack......this is not at all fair, and I stand to be corrected by our very own and trustworthy Kingo....you have indeed been bonked....get right intae them, mate....

Big Kev

Here's some pics as promised.

It's going to have the Premium side steps fitted tomorrow, without front mudflaps so will post some after pics to compare.

post-45805-0-21159200-1353941544_thumb.j

post-45805-0-80239200-1353941573_thumb.j

post-45805-0-13260100-1353941633_thumb.j

post-45805-0-30228100-1353941670_thumb.j

post-45805-0-40481600-1353941836_thumb.j

Nice, very nice.and it has a C***** G***** on the front as well!!!!

Regards Clare

Note I have left the description "blanked" as I will get some stick

When the dealer just orders the car WITHOUT a pack, he has to order the parts himself, individually, so they do NOT come as a pack if not ordered as a pack with the car (is this making sense) and they come to the dealer more expensive than if you had ordered the car with a pack on it. Dealers will often not order the car with a pack on it because it can delay the delivery of the car for several weeks, so they order it packless, then order the individual parts that would have come in the pack, phew!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kingo - yes, that's what they have more or less said. I rang P'Boro dealers and they also said the same. You live and learn, so will have to put it down as lesson learned for the future.

Clare - sorry for being a numpty but have no idea what C***** G***** is. Guess its something rude or politically incorrect!!! Can you send PM as it will drive me nuts trying to think what it means.

Chrome Grille.........she has a fascination for them....

When the dealer just orders the car WITHOUT a pack, he has to order the parts himself, individually, so they do NOT come as a pack if not ordered as a pack with the car (is this making sense) and they come to the dealer more expensive than if you had ordered the car with a pack on it. Dealers will often not order the car with a pack on it because it can delay the delivery of the car for several weeks, so they order it packless, then order the individual parts that would have come in the pack, phew!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Eloquent and totally comprehendable explanation, mate.......may I do but a mere precis thereof......?

PRICE IS WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS WILLING TO PAY........imagine the scenario.....instead of one of the fairer sex, somebody like me arrivedto receive this vehicle with what are vastly out dated side steps fitted in place of what was expected coz I or we are slightly more in the know. I for one would be inviting this dealer to smear Germoloids ointment on the vehicle in preparation for its final destination.

Never felt this strong furra while when seeing somebody else ripped off.....sorry.

Kalms Kev

Hi Anchorman. Yes I agree, that's what I've pointed out to Listers but they say Toyota always send the aluminium side steps for after fits.

I will write to Toyota to query as I've been charged for a Style Pack on the invoice and not individual parts.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be pleased with the Premium's when I get it back later today. Will keep you posted.

Hope you are keeping well.