Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Little Help Please!

iiyama

Have been fitting a Toyota tow bar to the Rav. Bar is fitted and was pretty straightforward. Leccy time!

Have got to step 4 and it looks like I have to take out the panels to the rear. Is this what is being asked for? If so can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to go about this?

scan0019.jpg

Cheers

ETA there are two small areas marked in black in the pictures. The forward areas would appear to be Speakers, the rear most are blank. Any ideas on this? I do wish they would write instructions as well as the pretty pictures!

Thanks Anchorman, looks like I do have to remove the panels then. That PDF is of more help then the Toyota booklet I have.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got around to this..... :blushing:

The electrics I had with the tow bar were two seperate sockets. Didnt like the look of it, (to bulky!), so decided to replace these with a single 13 pin socket.

However I have now found that the wiring supplied with the old sockets,, (specific kit for the Rav), have a fog light by pass fitted and the new socket doesn't. Not the end of the world, I have found a bypass relay that will do the trick. However I have no idea where the grey cable that would go tp pin 2a in the 7pin socket comes from.

Any ideas on this?

Just got around to this..... :blushing:

The electrics I had with the tow bar were two seperate sockets. Didnt like the look of it, (to bulky!), so decided to replace these with a single 13 pin socket.

However I have now found that the wiring supplied with the old sockets,, (specific kit for the Rav), have a fog light by pass fitted and the new socket doesn't. Not the end of the world, I have found a bypass relay that will do the trick. However I have no idea where the grey cable that would go tp pin 2a in the 7pin socket comes from.

Any ideas on this?

The Grey wire is for charging a Battery in the caravan when the engine is running ( i.e. the ignition is on ). It is supposed to be a 2.5mm2 cable so it will be capable of taking a fair current. Connecting in to the existing car loom directly could cause a serious overload problem so I would suggest that you need to fit a relay in the engine compartment that is energised by the ignition circuit and fed power directly from the Battery via a 15A fuse.

Thanks for the reply but Ive sorted it. Your answer is correct for a 13 pin standard loom, but the Toyota 13 pin set up is different. Pin 10 in a standard set up is Grey, however pin 10 in the Toyota loom is Red.

The Grey wire in the Toyota loom is for a fog light bypass, (I have discovered!), which is not fitted to many standard 13 pin set ups. Ring Automotivemake one but I cant find anywhere that sells it!

Anyway Im 50% there, just got to find away of sorting the bypass.

Thanks for the reply but Ive sorted it. Your answer is correct for a 13 pin standard loom, but the Toyota 13 pin set up is different. Pin 10 in a standard set up is Grey, however pin 10 in the Toyota loom is Red.

The Grey wire in the Toyota loom is for a fog light bypass, (I have discovered!), which is not fitted to many standard 13 pin set ups. Ring Automotivemake one but I cant find anywhere that sells it!

Anyway Im 50% there, just got to find away of sorting the bypass.

Hi Ian,

is this the sort of device you are looking for: http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0049797789118&loc=GBP ?

Looks like Im after one of these babies:-

http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/products/towing-relays-monitors/other-bypass-relays/tfc2

Found something similar at PCT Automotive but the thieving scum want £10.50 + VAT for P+P!! Wouldn't have believed that a part like this would be so difficult to find!!!

Looks like Im after one of these babies:-

http://www.rydertowi...*****-relays/tfc2

Found something similar at PCT Automotive but the thieving scum want £10.50 + VAT for P+P!! Wouldn't have believed that a part like this would be so difficult to find!!!

It looks like a good quality bit of kit. I suspect that they will supply direct. I note that they also do an audible warning buzzer for the trailer indicators. I have a Toyota towing loom fitted and it does not include any in-car warning of the action of the trailer indicators. Seems odd as it is a legal necessity to have either audible or visible warning when a trailer is connected. Thanks for the link Ian, I'll investigate the buzzer device.

ANd now found this, same thing but cheaper!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Way-Bypass-Relay-Towbar-Towing-Electrics-/270633362973?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item3f0301661d

So looks like Ive found the answer. Grey wire on Toyota loom is redundant!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links