Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Pulling To The Right

roker roar

hi guys,

newish member here, not many posts but read most posts.

i have a 2003 d4d avensis and it pulls to the right, so took in to get the tracking done twice, both times at different places, but the problem is still there. would one of these 4 wheel all singing all dancing ones help {i think they are about 80-100 quid} or is there a problem on its way? like steering rack or something expensive. anybody else had this problem?

cheers james

The tracking should not pull the car to one side because you will automatically centre it when driving and get wear on both tyres, there is something wrong the alignment of the car, possibly rear wheels. An obviouse point, are all your tyre the same pressure and specifications?

My 06 D4D pulls to the left, always has. I had forgotten about it until I read your post. I had the tracking checked a few times and finally got all 4 wheels aligned by Toyota when I had 4 new tyres fitted. They made some adjustments but it made no difference to the car. Its on 98k miles now, still pulls left, doesn't wear the tyres abnormally and, frankly, I've given up trying to solve it.

I'd be interested to know if you get this solved.

Good luck.

hello roker,

some good points, when driving in a straight line i have to tilt the steering wheel a tad to the left to keep it going straight. so this could coming from the rear wheels?

the two front tyres are the same but the rear tyres are different from the front, i do have to keep inflating these quite often.

so a trip to say mr.t for a full four wheel alignment could solve this, as i have only been to tyre services {wasn't to impressed there with the service} its just i don't want to waste anymore money if it doesn't work.

thanks for the reply

Over the years I've had a number of steering problems. Before spending money I've tried a few things to isolate the issues. First swap the front wheels with each other. This cured a similar problem for me. If the steering then pulls in the opposite direction swap both rear wheels with the two front wheels.

4 wheel alignment check is expensive and for me produced nothing other than a receipt to show that everything was supposed to be within tolerance. car still pulls left.

thanks guys for all the advice, i will try changing the tyres round to see if this sorts it out, and thanks Driud for putting me right as regards to the price for 4 wheel alignment not helping. i am going to try these at the weekend, anybody got any snorkeling gear as there is about 5 inches of water everywhere!

I suppose you could be cheeky and ask your local toyota dealer whether the 4 wheel alignement check is likely to cure the pulling. Then ask them how confidnet they are that it will cure it, will they put their money where their mouth is an swallow the charge if it still pulls afterwards? I wish I had thought of that before paying them.....

I suppose you could be cheeky and ask your local toyota dealer whether the 4 wheel alignement check is likely to cure the pulling. Then ask them how confidnet they are that it will cure it, will they put their money where their mouth is an swallow the charge if it still pulls afterwards? I wish I had thought of that before paying them.....

Spell checker, spell checker! Where's the flipping spell checker?

Road camber can cause the car to pull towards the kerb.

Also it may be worth jacking up the front and checking the wheel bearings for excessive play or tightness.

Have you had the bearings re-greased lately?

Sometimes weight in the boot can have wierd effects if the weight is to one side.

Just a few thoughts.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links