Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Things That Irk You On The Prius?

stompe

I do have the front screen demist button pressed, which brings on the aircon and full fan speed to the screen, when trying to demist. If I didn't it wouldn't even demist the bottom half. It seems to me as if the rake of the screen is causing the air to bounce off rather than travel up the screen. This is the worst car for the screen misting up I've driven since the 70s.

I am wondering if there is something different about your car - soaked carpets that didn't quite dry out properly? - lots of passengers with damp clothing? - does it need an interior clean of front window? - somebody smoking in the car? Just puzzled and trying to think of possible reasons...

None of the above apply, car is bone dry, only me uses it, very short distance from house to car and work to car, so no wet clothing, windscreen clean and car never been smoked in.

One guy on Priuschat in the US said his is the same, I assumed it was the norm for the Prius.

I notice yours is a T4, does the T4 have the HUD the same as the T-Spirit. I was thinking maybe the vents are different to acommodate the HUD projector.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• korat102

• johalareewi

• kithmo

• paul.r

Demisting isn't a problem. Found it was steaming up the other day with 4 on board and heavy cold rain outside; pressed the screen clear button and it was cleared in a few seconds.

I did remember another gripe yesterday. In a car that bleeps at every opportunity I wish the turn indicator bleep was louder. At speed it is inaudible (to me anyway) and I find if I signal to overtake there isn't enough steering wheel movement to cancel it and it gets left on.

Demisting isn't a problem. Found it was steaming up the other day with 4 on board and heavy cold rain outside; pressed the screen clear button and it was cleared in a few seconds.

I did remember another gripe yesterday. In a car that bleeps at every opportunity I wish the turn indicator bleep was louder. At speed it is inaudible (to me anyway) and I find if I signal to overtake there isn't enough steering wheel movement to cancel it and it gets left on.

Yes Opifex, its another annoying thing, just think if Toyota fixed all these problems, LOL

I do have the front screen demist button pressed, which brings on the aircon and full fan speed to the screen, when trying to demist. If I didn't it wouldn't even demist the bottom half. It seems to me as if the rake of the screen is causing the air to bounce off rather than travel up the screen. This is the worst car for the screen misting up I've driven since the 70s.

I am wondering if there is something different about your car - soaked carpets that didn't quite dry out properly? - lots of passengers with damp clothing? - does it need an interior clean of front window? - somebody smoking in the car? Just puzzled and trying to think of possible reasons...

None of the above apply, car is bone dry, only me uses it, very short distance from house to car and work to car, so no wet clothing, windscreen clean and car never been smoked in.

One guy on Priuschat in the US said his is the same, I assumed it was the norm for the Prius.

I notice yours is a T4, does the T4 have the HUD the same as the T-Spirit. I was thinking maybe the vents are different to acommodate the HUD projector.

With regard to your misting problem, and at the risk of stating the obvious, you have't got the heating system set to recirculate the air have you? My Gen 3 can mist quite quickly if set to recirculate but normally clears quickly once the system is set to bring air in from outside the car.

I notice yours is a T4, does the T4 have the HUD the same as the T-Spirit.

The HUD is standard on all UK gen3. Even my T3 has it.

With regard to your misting problem, and at the risk of stating the obvious, you have't got the heating system set to recirculate the air have you? My Gen 3 can mist quite quickly if set to recirculate but normally clears quickly once the system is set to bring air in from outside the car.

No, air not set to recirculate.

Contrary to popular belief and logic, I've found that turning AC off improves the speed of demisting, although it never actually clears the screen, there is a slight haze, a bit like a dirty screen (but it's not dirty).

Turning A/C off improves the demist? Well I had that before on my Toyota Celica, it turned out the airconditioning needed replenished. The car was brand new so the dealer did it for free. Worked a treat after that!

My Gen3 T4 does have the HUD, so that is the same as your T-Spirit.

I had a short (2 mile) journey in my car this evening; running from cold and with cold outside (2C). It took noticeably longer to demist the upper screen, so I was thinking of you. But once the car warmed up, with the front demist on (which turns on A/C automatically) the screen cleared OK. Admittedly it was late evening, so there could have been a "slight haze" left and I would not have noticed it. But it's been several weeks since I cleaned the inside of my windscreen, so probably not a fair comparison with your own clean windscreen.

Give the A/C a service, mate; that would be my recommendation. But perhaps you have tried that already?

Turning A/C off improves the demist? Well I had that before on my Toyota Celica, it turned out the airconditioning needed replenished. The car was brand new so the dealer did it for free. Worked a treat after that!

My Gen3 T4 does have the HUD, so that is the same as your T-Spirit.

I had a short (2 mile) journey in my car this evening; running from cold and with cold outside (2C). It took noticeably longer to demist the upper screen, so I was thinking of you. But once the car warmed up, with the front demist on (which turns on A/C automatically) the screen cleared OK. Admittedly it was late evening, so there could have been a "slight haze" left and I would not have noticed it. But it's been several weeks since I cleaned the inside of my windscreen, so probably not a fair comparison with your own clean windscreen.

Give the A/C a service, mate; that would be my recommendation. But perhaps you have tried that already?

It's been the same from new, and AC cools very well in Summer, I can't see it being the AC at fault.

Niggles with a new style Gen3 T-Spirit....

They've shortened the centre console armrest so now it is not quite long enough to rest my left arm on it comfortably (keeps falling into the cupholder).

Electric folding mirrors (now on the T-Spirit) don't fold when the ignition is off... which is a niggle, as I keep finding that I park the car, press STOP and then realise that I've not retracted the mirrors!

Muck getting on the lens on the rear parking camera (I find myself wiping it clean whenever I pass the back of the car)

Disappointed the satnav turn indicators have gone from the HUD on the new T-Spirit.

No speed dials on the bluetooth phone controls (again, new T-Spirit).

Cupholder from the centre console (was under the arm-rest but now with the shorter armrest is just there!) is not removable (was useful as a litter-bin)

Shame they got rid of the tray in the centre console armrest (useful for sitting the mobile phone on it - now it rattles around in the centre console).

Annoying the way the headlights stay on until I open the car door after turning off the ignition (dusk-sensing headlamps on new GenIII) - why not go the whole hog and have "show me home" feature that leaves the headlights on for 2 mins after locking the car - to illuminate the path to the house door

Positive Features:

Like the way there's power, AUX input, USB input in the cetnre armrest

LIke the trip indicator when turning the ignition off (new style Gen III) (it gives distance, time, consumption and cost of the latest journey)

Better bluetooth integration with the phone

Ability to apply upgrades to SatNav via USB

Ability to plug in a 32GB USB stick containing my iTunes library

Love keyless entry / ignition

It's been the same from new, and AC cools very well in Summer, I can't see it being the AC at fault.

Then I'm sorry mate, but I'm stumped. I can assure you my car does clear the screen no problem. I've been staring at the screen like a fox watching the henhouse door since this conversation started. It's not a good look, I can tell you. :fox:

Others have posted thet they don't have demist problems, either. So I suspect it is not a design fault in the car. But finding out what is causing the problem probably requires a spot more hands on mechanical investigation. :hammer:

Is the pollen filter newish? A gunged up filter will reduce the airflow and hence cause misting. They don't change them routinely at service, make a charge of about £30 ish if you ask, or you can buy one for about a tenner from eBay and fit it yourself in three minutes.

All the above applies to my own experience in a Gen2, so make sure it applies to a Gen3, but I'd be surprised if it were much different.

How to do it examples all over the net - here's (an American but it's a mirror image is all) one on youtube:

I've just had the experience of driving another car for four weeks; a top of the range although smaller car from a major competitor of Toyota. What a pleasure to get back into my own car. So quiet, stable on the road, comfortable (gloves come to mind), and almost as economical. I suppose it's human nature to find something new and different, exciting. Also, to become bored by the familiar. I can only say this has been an interesting experience and I'm surprised to find myself looking forward to each new journey.

Having read some of the gripes about the Prius i have to say i do agree with some,but the noise from the transmission when accelerating is just a characteristic of the auto box,i have had both conventional and CVT trans' and have to say i do prefer the CVT,i have always had mainly auto boxes...since 1970 ... and wouldn't change,i have no problem either with the front screen de-misting..if that bothered about it buy a cheap ceramic heater for under a tenner and place on the dashboard before setting off...,i do have a few dashboard rattles but nothing i can't sort..i find the Prius very quiet ...a bit spooky at first..and comfortable,my previous ..08..Honda Civic hybrid was very good too (would never buy another diesel) ,but the Prius makes it look outdated and old,i miss heated seats up to a point as all my previous cars had leather interior and heating was a necessity in the cold weather..not so with the velour seating...dusk sensing h/lights and wipers are just gimmicks and one's i can do without,What i DO miss are ..no rev counter (i like to see what the engine is doing)..and NO temp gauge,the steering column could also do with more movement...after 4 months i am pleased with my Prius..best MPG 74.3 both on a long run and a local one.I have just fitted some body mouldings to mine to hopefully ward off/prevent any dings from clumsy door openers? money well spent,easily fitted...

i have no problem either with the front screen de-misting..if that bothered about it buy a cheap ceramic heater for under a tenner and place on the dashboard before setting off...,

I though about that route, but the measly 10A fuse in the power socket doesn't allow for a 150W (12.5A) or 200W (16.7A) heater to be plugged in.

Then I'm sorry mate, but I'm stumped. I can assure you my car does clear the screen no problem. I've been staring at the screen like a fox watching the henhouse door since this conversation started. It's not a good look, I can tell you. :fox:

Others have posted thet they don't have demist problems, either. So I suspect it is not a design fault in the car. But finding out what is causing the problem probably requires a spot more hands on mechanical investigation. :hammer:

Thanks for your suggestions, I might try the changing the pollen filter, as it's easy to do. Other than that it's a case of getting under the dash somehow, to see if the vents are all correctly fitted/lined up. SWMBO had a Ford Focus from new that had a vent tube that kept falling off.

Thinking back about what I said about it doing it from new, I bought it in May 2010 so it didn't actually see any really low temperatures until around November/December time at about 6 months old.

You can add a digital rev counter if you are willing to have an extra gadget on the dash. I use a ScanGauge2 Scan tool, but I understand that there are also bluetooth OBDII dongles that you can use with Smartphone apps.

I though about that route, but the measly 10A fuse in the power socket doesn't allow for a 150W (12.5A) or 200W (16.7A) heater to be plugged in.

They are designed for use in the cigarette lighter socket...a 10 amp fuse is plenty......worth a try anyway.....go here.http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b6ba07e0.....could it be water seeping in from around the screen after heavy rain...is the air circulation switch working properly??...hope you get it fixed...very annoying :disgust:

You can add a digital rev counter if you are willing to have an extra gadget on the dash. I use a ScanGauge2 Scan tool, but I understand that there are also Bluetooth OBDII dongles that you can use with Smartphone apps.

Yes i know,some of my motorcycling friends fit them to their bikes,just requires a wire to the coil or one wrapped around a spark plug lead,i would not mess about with a car tho',its a long long time since i had a car without one and for the price of a Prius they should be fitted...are any other Toyota's lacking one??.. ...Thanks for the suggestion

The type of gadget I was suggesting plug into the DLC3 diagnostic socket, which is located under the lower dash in the foot well - the socket is normally used by the mechanic to read fault codes or for servicing.

On a Hybrid, having a rev counter as standard could be confusing, which is why I believe Toyota did not include one.

+1 on the scangauge 2 it just plugs into the Prius diagnostic socket.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

You can also add custom gauges (via the X gauge feature).

Full details over on Prius Chat.

Good starting point for gen3:-

http://priuschat.com/threads/scangaugeii-work-on-2010.64406/

You can also use the scangauge 2 to switch off the reversing beeps (and rear seatbelt beeps) ;)

The type of gadget I was suggesting plug into the DLC3 diagnostic socket, which is located under the lower dash in the foot well - the socket is normally used by the mechanic to read fault codes or for servicing.

On a Hybrid, having a rev counter as standard could be confusing, which is why I believe Toyota did not include one.

Thanks for the info but i do not like "trailing wires",the type i would want would be a standard one already fitted...My previous Hybrid...Honda Civic had a rev counter fitted as does the Insight....why would it be confusing??

You can also use the scangauge 2 to switch off the reversing beeps (and rear seatbelt beeps) ;)

My Prius is factory fitted with reversing sensors..as well as camera...and there is a rocker switch provided in the boot to switch the beeps off...but i think that would be defeating the object of having them fitted in the first place...IMO.. ;)

Thanks for the info but i do not like "trailing wires",the type i would want would be a standard one already fitted...My previous Hybrid...Honda Civic had a rev counter fitted as does the Insight....why would it be confusing??

It is possible to travel at up to approximately 29 MPH on the electric motor with the petrol engine off and hence the rev would display 0 RPM.

My Prius is factory fitted with reversing sensors..as well as camera...and there is a rocker switch provided in the boot to switch the beeps off...but i think that would be defeating the object of having them fitted in the first place...IMO.. ;)

The reversing beeps I refer to are not the ones made by reversing sensors. ;)

It is possible to travel at up to approximately 29 MPH on the electric motor with the petrol engine off and hence the rev would display 0 RPM.

I guess you would need 3 rev counters. ICE, MG1 and MG2.

Handy working model / simulator.

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Toyota HSD Operation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

I can't imagine what earthly use a rev counter would be in a Prius. It's not like you can decide when to change gear ('cos there's no gear to change) or even decide how much of the ICE's power is going to be used at any time. All the input you have is the accelerator pedal and that just tells the computer what you want. How it achieves what you ask for is largely out of your control.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links