Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things That Irk You On The Prius?

stompe

It is possible to travel at up to approximately 29 MPH on the electric motor with the petrol engine off and hence the rev would display 0 RPM.

My gen 3 Prius will only travel up to 20mph before the engine cuts in,obviously the rev would display 0 RPM because the engine ain't running ??

My Prius is factory fitted with reversing sensors..as well as camera...and there is a rocker switch provided in the boot to switch the beeps off...but i think that would be defeating the object of having them fitted in the first place...IMO.. ;)

The reversing beeps I refer to are not the ones made by reversing sensors. ;)

What reversing beeps do you refer to if not the ones made by sensors?,and why would you want to switch them off.? ;)

I can't imagine what earthly use a rev counter would be in a Prius. It's not like you can decide when to change gear ('cos there's no gear to change) or even decide how much of the ICE's power is going to be used at any time. All the input you have is the accelerator pedal and that just tells the computer what you want. How it achieves what you ask for is largely out of your control.

The accelerator pedal controls the speed of the engine which in turn controls the transmission,a rev counter lets you see what the engine is doing,which is all i ask for,do you really think a rev counter is just to let you know when to change gear..doh.,Just to add the Lexus CT200 has a rev counter fitted,obviously someone there thought it would be of some use,maybe you should ask them what earthly use it has...,.."horses for courses" i s'pose

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• korat102

• johalareewi

• kithmo

• paul.r

The reversing beeps they refer to are the incredibly annoying and totally needless beeps that occur inside the car when you put it in reverse and keep on beeping at you incessantly till you take it out of reverse. A totally cretinous design decision that someone should be taken out and shot for.

You can see what the engine is doing by looking at the LCD display Toyota added to your Prius for that very purpose...or doesn't yours have one?

'Changing gear', i.e. knowing when you're in the power band or about to explode your engine, is exactly what a rev counter is for. Any other use is showboating. If that's what you want it for, fine. Not for me to be critical. Lots of automatic and CVT cars have them, they're completely useless in such cars in my opinion.

Re: the Rev counter, I agree that the conventional need for one doesn't apply in a hybrid - however, there are times that the LCD display is incorrect (ie. showing engine running when it isn't and vice-versa, especially at idle).

I use my Scanguage 2 (attached on top of the steering wheel column) to let me know exactly when the engine is/isn't running, knowing this does help me to 'coast' on free power. The cabin can get noisy enough with radio/road noise and looking down at the Scangauge tells me exactly what is going on. It also informs me of when the engine is warm enough to switch to EV, and again this helps me to 'coast'.

What reversing beeps do you refer to if not the ones made by sensors?,and why would you want to switch them off.? ;)

What Korat102 said ;)

I am guessing the gen3 standard reverse beeps are disabled when reversing sensors are fitted?

The accelerator pedal controls the speed of the engine which in turn controls the transmission

Trouble is, a Toyota hybrid has 3 motors so ideally, you would need 3 rev counters.

Interesting that the Lexus has one.

Is this just for the petrol engine?

'Changing gear', i.e. knowing when you're in the power band or about to explode your engine, is exactly what a rev counter is for

No it isn't...is this your first car??...most engines are designed to "cut out" when they start "redlining" to protect the engine...the thread was about "what irks you on the Prius" i just answered the question,if i had have known what a fuss it was about to cause i wouldn't have bothered....there's an old saying in Yorkshire.."Yer can't educate pooerk (pork)" nuff said

I use my Scanguage 2 (attached on top of the steering wheel column) to let me know exactly when the engine is/isn't running, knowing this does help me to 'coast' on free power. The cabin can get noisy enough with radio/road noise and looking down at the Scangauge tells me exactly what is going on. It also informs me of when the engine is warm enough to switch to EV, and again this helps me to 'coast'.

Which is exactly what a rev-counter and a temp gauge would do without having to resort to the cost of having to buy something to tell you that if they were fitted as standard in the first place like every other vehicle,when out i tend to drive at certain revs rather than at a certain speed..or at least.. i did.."horses for courses"

Trouble is, a Toyota hybrid has 3 motors so ideally, you would need 3 rev counters.

Why would you need 3 r/counters?My Civic Hybrid also had a rev counter,so does the Insight..although neither is what you would call a full Hybrid..ie you cannot drive on the Battery alone...This is my first Toyota Prius so i am still learning about it...but thanks for all the info

Hmm, does

is this your first car??

Yer can't educate pooerk (pork)" nuff said

Thanks for that. Time to see if this forum has an ignore function.

Thanks for that. Time to see if this forum has an ignore function.

No offence intended..i do seem to have that effect on people,its just called speaking your mind.... :flowers:

I though about that route, but the measly 10A fuse in the power socket doesn't allow for a 150W (12.5A) or 200W (16.7A) heater to be plugged in.

They are designed for use in the cigarette lighter socket...a 10 amp fuse is plenty......worth a try anyway.....go here.http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b6ba07e0.....

That's the point I was making, the Prius doesn't have a "cigarette lighter" socket which are rated at 15A or 20A, it has a "power" socket which is only rated at 10A and those heaters draw 12.5A if it's a 150W and over 16A if it's a 200W, so one of those heaters would blow the fuse, as it would if you put a cigarette lighter in the socket.

The reversing beeps they refer to are the incredibly annoying and totally needless beeps that occur inside the car when you put it in reverse and keep on beeping at you incessantly till you take it out of reverse. A totally cretinous design decision that someone should be taken out and shot for.

Added after the first litigious law suit by an idiot who selected reverse at a junction and shot backwards very rapidly causing an accident when they went to pull away. Totally agree the beeps are annoying but we cant give everyone an IQ test before they drive their new Hybrid away.

Why would you need 3 r/counters?My Civic Hybrid also had a rev counter,so does the Insight..although neither is what you would call a full Hybrid..ie you cannot drive on the battery alone...This is my first Toyota Prius so i am still learning about it...but thanks for all the info

Take a look at this web site http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ It has a simulator showing how the hybrid drive works, and how the petrol engine can be running / not running; how the electric motors can be running forwards (as motors) or backwards (as generators) in all sorts of combinations when the car is going forwards / backwards / is stopped. Bottom line is that the computer has full control of whether or not the petrol engine is running; what revs it is running at; and whether or not the electric motors are using or generating electricity. Consequently, a rev counter becomes academic.

No offence, but the people who fit scangague are "hypermilers" who are working to squeeze every last drop of MPG from the car (hence the obsession with when to "coast", or when to switch to EV mode etc.)

Having let a colleague drive my Prius, I was able to see first-hand that if you really DO try hard, you can hit speeds in excess of 100mph (I think he got it to somewhere between 105 and 110 on the speedo).... which, according to the simulation, will have the petrol engine running at max revs.... but won't explode the engine! HOWEVER - there is no direct relation between the accelerator and the speed of the petrol engine.

AS another example - listen to the engine revs as you go up a steep hill.... somewhere along the way, the engine will rev like mad in order to generate the power/ torque to maintain speed going up the hill.

And before anyone asks / comments....

No - I haven't let that particular individual try driving my Prius again.... (though it was not worse for the experience). It was a company car (hence I wasn't worried about someone else driving it), and I no longer have that particular Prius.

Also, even having been driven by an idiot on a 200 mile motorway run, it still returned about 52mpg for the journey.

'Changing gear', i.e. knowing when you're in the power band or about to explode your engine, is exactly what a rev counter is for

No it isn't...is this your first car??...most engines are designed to "cut out" when they start "redlining" to protect the engine...the thread was about "what irks you on the Prius" i just answered the question,if i had have known what a fuss it was about to cause i wouldn't have bothered....there's an old saying in Yorkshire.."Yer can't educate pooerk (pork)" nuff said

I must admit that's what I thought it was for - and watching the idle speed go up and down on my wife's ancient Polo.

I think the "fuss" is because you are asking for something that most Prius users agree would be a useless addition and you haven't clearly said how it would benefit you.

Incidentally, if we're into quoting Yorkshire sayings another one comes to mind.

Which is exactly what a rev-counter and a temp gauge .....

Ah, a temperature gauge I can see a use for. Not for normal driving but because I would like to fit some blanking on the radiator and I'm afraid of overheating.

.......when out i tend to drive at certain revs rather than at a certain speed.......

With a manual box or a conventional automatic running at cruising speed the engine is effectively connected directly to the wheels and so engine speed is proportional to road speed. The problem is that the Prius engine speed is not related to the road speed, so a rev-counter wouldn't help you.

The Lexus rev-counter question is interesting. Looking at the dashboard picture on their website here

http://www.lexus.co....y/tcm8801128673 seems to show a rev-counter, but looking at this picture it shows a gauge which is similar to the ecometer on the Prius http://www.lexus.co....hicleHighlights

Even more confusing is the video here http://www.lexus.co....ImagesAndVideos

Watch carefully around 16 seconds into the video and you can clearly see the ecometer display miraculously change into a rev-counter. Does anyone know which version is correct?

On another post IIRC someone said that the accelerator controls the engine speed. The Prius works a bit differently. The accelerator controls the power requested from the HSD system as a whole and the computer decides whether to get it from the engine or the Battery.

No offence, but the people who fit scangague are "hypermilers" who are working to squeeze every last drop of MPG from the car (hence the obsession with when to "coast", or when to switch to EV mode etc.)

Lots of offence taken though :canadian:

I must admit that's what I thought it was for - and watching the idle speed go up and down on my wife's ancient Polo.

I think the "fuss" is because you are asking for something that most Prius users agree would be a useless addition and you haven't clearly said how it would benefit you.

Incidentally, if we're into quoting Yorkshire sayings another one comes to mind.

Which is exactly what a rev-counter and a temp gauge .....

Ah, a temperature gauge I can see a use for. Not for normal driving but because I would like to fit some blanking on the radiator and I'm afraid of overheating.

.......when out i tend to drive at certain revs rather than at a certain speed.......

With a manual box or a conventional automatic running at cruising speed the engine is effectively connected directly to the wheels and so engine speed is proportional to road speed. The problem is that the Prius engine speed is not related to the road speed, so a rev-counter wouldn't help you.

The Lexus rev-counter question is interesting. Looking at the dashboard picture on their website here

http://www.lexus.co....y/tcm8801128673 seems to show a rev-counter, but looking at this picture it shows a gauge which is similar to the ecometer on the Prius http://www.lexus.co....hicleHighlights

Even more confusing is the video here http://www.lexus.co....ImagesAndVideos

Watch carefully around 16 seconds into the video and you can clearly see the ecometer display miraculously change into a rev-counter. Does anyone know which version is correct?

On another post IIRC someone said that the accelerator controls the engine speed. The Prius works a bit differently. The accelerator controls the power requested from the HSD system as a whole and the computer decides whether to get it from the engine or the Battery.

Both are correct, on the CT200 you have an eco meter when in Eco, EV & normal modes and a Rev counter in Power mode even the ambient lighting changes from blue/white/green to red to give a sportier effect,

The Lexus rev-counter question is interesting. Looking at the dashboard picture on their website here http://www.lexus.co....y/tcm8801128673 seems to show a rev-counter, but looking at this picture it shows a gauge which is similar to the ecometer on the Prius http://www.lexus.co....hicleHighlights Even more confusing is the video here http://www.lexus.co....ImagesAndVideos Watch carefully around 16 seconds into the video and you can clearly see the ecometer display miraculously change into a rev-counter. Does anyone know which version is correct?

Both are correct, on the CT200 you have an eco meter when in Eco, EV & normal modes and a Rev counter in Power mode even the ambient lighting changes from blue/white/green to red to give a sportier effect,

Thanks for explaining, Devon Aygo.

That's clever to give you a rev-counter for the rare times it may be useful, though personally when I need to use Power mode I'm too busy concentrating on the road to worry about how many revs I've got to. The engine screaming away is enough information. Maybe the Lexus has better sound insulation.

The CT200 has much better sound insulation! Only problem is it's about £7k or so more than an Auris, lol.

You can safely block the bottom vents on a gen3 when the air temperature is below 5C.

Check out post 10 in

http://priuschat.com/threads/2010-prius-grill-blocking-strategy.62556/

Unfortunately the TABLE doesn't get rendered anymore but you can reconstruct it.

Celsius |Fahrenheit|lower blocking %|upper blocking %

below 5 |below 41 |100 |50

5 - 18 |41 - 64 |75 |50

18 - 30 |64 - 86 |75 |0

above 30|above 86 |50 |0

Lots of offence taken though :canadian:

In which case please accept my humble apologies

:blushing:

Don't worry, it was meant to be light hearted comment, based on a line that I heard on a sit-com endlessly repeated on Gold.

Rattles, rattles and more rattles.

General poor fit and finish of the interior - for quite an expensive car (my wife's Yaris is far better)

Clunky doors when closing

Poor dipped headlights

Some abysmal after sales service (not just the Prius) means i'll never buy another Toyota

Fuel economy in the winter - never managed to get more than 61mpg in the summer with mixed driving, when it's cold lucky to get 50mpg

Basically the prius almost does what it says on the tin - nothing more.