Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Misfire

JoneU

Hi!

I have a 1999 Avensis, 1.8 lean burn 7A-FE engine.

Description of problem:

Cold engine: runs perfectly normal

Normal operating temp.: just fine as long as I keep it under 4000 rpm. The engine won't rev. past this. It suddenly starts misfiring when I hit about 4000 rpm - then I just have to let go of the gas pedal for a split second, and it's back to normal. This happens every time when the engine is hot.

I've read of someone having the same problem, and replacing the crankshaft position sensor - anyone else heard of this being a problem?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

clean MAF sensor and check with an engine air filter

• 1 month later...

Hi JoneU

did you ever sort out the problem as have exactly the same fault on mine ..seems to missfire at 4000rpm..would be great if you could let me know if you sorted it

regards

Merv

I would go with the crank sensor too.

Couple of other things to look at is the spark plugs and HT leads. The leads do not like high loads when they are breaking down. One other area is to check the vacuum switch that controls the inlet valves, make sure it has not disconnected.

Crank sensor is favourite,

I've changed the crank sensor and it's all sorted out :) Should've updated the thread earlier...

Anyway, thanks for all replies!

I would go with the crank sensor too.

Couple of other things to look at is the spark plugs and HT leads. The leads do not like high loads when they are breaking down. One other area is to check the vacuum switch that controls the inlet valves, make sure it has not disconnected.

Crank sensor is favourite,

Many thanks for the reply..will contact toyota for a price.. brilliant forum...brilliant people.. brilliant cars

I've changed the crank sensor and it's all sorted out :) Should've updated the thread earlier...

Anyway, thanks for all replies!

chasing this up this week ....where is the sensor and how involved is it to replace ??? is it a cam belt off job :( or is it the flywheel side ???

Merv

The sensor is located in the front of the engine, i.e. the cam belt side. You should be able to change it without taking off the cam belt. Unfortunately in my case the sensor was stuck in the housing, so I had to take off the cam belt cover to push it out from the inside.