Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 1.8 2004 Automatic

smoky2004

Hi guys,

Been a long time Toyota fan, had many over the years and they all gave me unbelievable reliability, even after years of constant, heavy abuse never had any problems with a Toyota. So I've recently purchased a Toyota Avensis 1.8 2004 Automatic with gas conversion, unbelievable fuel consumption so far and drives like a brand new car.

I have a problem with one of the headlight bulb holders, someone told me it's a known fault and Toyota replace them free of charge? Is this correct?

Also have I made a good choice with my selection of car? Any other known faults I should be aware of?

Kind Regards

Billy

The 1.8 vvti engine up to around mid 2005 was prone to a serious oil burning problem which could eventually require a new engine. Keep an eye on your oil level. Have a browse around the forum for more info.

I'm on my second 1.8vvti, the first a manual and the second an auto. Both are/were excellent cars - comfy, reliable, economical, don't break down etc. enjoy your new car!

The 1.8 vvti engine up to around mid 2005 was prone to a serious oil burning problem which could eventually require a new engine. Keep an eye on your oil level. Have a browse around the forum for more info.

I'm on my second 1.8vvti, the first a manual and the second an auto. Both are/were excellent cars - comfy, reliable, economical, don't break down etc. enjoy your new car!

Cheers bud, is Castrol magnatec 5w30A1 good oil to use? Got a few bottles left over from when they were on offer.

I'd like to think magnatec would be fine but if in doubt check your owners manual for the spec.

Thanks for reply, any advice on the headlight bulb holder? Am I best to purchase a new headlight?

thanks

No idea whether bulbholders are a warranty claim or not but i've just changed my dipped beam bulbs for brighter ones today. My bulbholders are plastic with no sign of melting etc. Maybe leave yours well alone - if it ain't broke don't fix it ?

No idea whether bulbholders are a warranty claim or not but i've just changed my dipped beam bulbs for brighter ones today. My bulbholders are plastic with no sign of melting etc. Maybe leave yours well alone - if it ain't broke don't fix it ?

Thanks for reply bud, the one headlight isn't working at all, got someone to have a quick look at it and they said it's the holder that's knackered, simply changing the bulb makes no difference. So am I best to purchase a new headlight?

Just to clarify...The electrical connector for my bulb (at the end of the cable) is plastic with no sign of melting etc. The hole which the bulb goes into might/might not be plastic as it's difficult to access, but seems not to have any problems either. I suppose one could call either bit the holder?? If your bulb isn't working then I'd suggest it's the connector or the bulb itself or some other wiring fault which is wrong rather than the actual bulb retaining hole in the headlight. The bulb should work whether it's actually inside the headlight or not, obviously as long as the wiring is connected.

Just to clarify...The electrical connector for my bulb (at the end of the cable) is plastic with no sign of melting etc. The hole which the bulb goes into might/might not be plastic as it's difficult to access, but seems not to have any problems either. I suppose one could call either bit the holder?? If your bulb isn't working then I'd suggest it's the connector or the bulb itself or some other wiring fault which is wrong rather than the actual bulb retaining hole in the headlight. The bulb should work whether it's actually inside the headlight or not, obviously as long as the wiring is connected.

Thanks for your detailed post, will have a tinker and report back.