Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newebie Needing A Bit Of Help

dirtyleeds

Hi all, just joined this forum and i am looking for a bit help regarding my rav4 d4d 2002. It is unable to rev past around 3000 revs. it pulls fine up to then and then feels like someone has pulled the handbrake on. I have replaced the maf but still no better. I have just recently bought the car and by the looks it has had a new turbo fitted not that long ago. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi, mine did the same but don't think its the turbo as i repair them for a living but might be wrong

This fault is common on Rav's and I bet if you keep your foot down in pulls again at 3,900 rpm.

Having said that it might be the VNT mechanism is sticking - trace the turbo actuator down to where it joins the turbo and try and move the lever as far as it will go in both directions, if this clears it then it will need a turbo decoke very soon.

Otherwise you should check the fuel and air filter, EGR and SCV valves on the engine

Hi all, just joined this forum and i am looking for a bit help regarding my rav4 d4d 2002. It is unable to rev past around 3000 revs. it pulls fine up to then and then feels like someone has pulled the handbrake on. I have replaced the maf but still no better. I have just recently bought the car and by the looks it has had a new turbo fitted not that long ago. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Richard

check fuel filter maybe clogged

egr valve

scv valves

also ask the question in the rav section you will get better response there.

Thanks for the advice. Have posted in Rav4 section.

Fuel filter has been replaced recently but for the cost i will put a new one on. Will clean and check egr and scv valves

Will post back with results

Thanks for the advice. Have posted in Rav4 section.

Fuel filter has been replaced recently but for the cost i will put a new one on. Will clean and check egr and scv valves

Will post back with results

1.check the fuel filter if its dirty or looks clogged then change if not leave it should be ok if recently changed,

what fuel do you use, supermarket or the likes of bp or Shell.

2.clean egr valve first, after cleaning give a good old italian tune up with some fuel additive.

3. check resistance of scv valves

Hi Richard and welcome to the club.

Hope you get problems sorted ok.

Thanks for postings. I have only recently bought the car so not sure where she got the fuel from. (would imagine supermarket) will get the egr valve of at some point in the morning and give it a clean. is this a common fault with this engine?

Thanks for postings. I have only recently bought the car so not sure where she got the fuel from. (would imagine supermarket) will get the egr valve of at some point in the morning and give it a clean. is this a common fault with this engine?

mine loves bp petrol, she gives me more miles and does not hesitate unlike with supermarket fuel, i know its a bit more expensive but if it helps ill use it. others might disagree.

yeh egr valve is a common problem on most diesels.

ill try find you a post of how to do it.

here you go :

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121866

heres the scv valves

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986

some videos

i know its avensis but should be same engine d4d.

please report back of outcome.

Thanks for the vids. Will try to get under the bonnet some time in the morning if it ever stops raining. wILL LET YOU KNOW THE OUT COME

Have just picked the car up from local garage, he has fixed the problem but has not fitted the new scv's. He soaked the old ones overnight in diesel then cleaned off this morning and all is well. His reasoning was that if it was not the scv's then it would be a waste of money. Not sure how long this will last but at least i know it is these that will need replacing if or when it happens again. Oh and he only charged my £55 for doing this :)

Thanks for all the help and advice