Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newebie Needing A Bit Of Help

dirtyleeds

Hi all, just joined this forum and i am looking for a bit help regarding my rav4 d4d 2002. It is unable to rev past around 3000 revs. it pulls fine up to then and then feels like someone has pulled the handbrake on. I have replaced the maf but still no better. I have just recently bought the car and by the looks it has had a new turbo fitted not that long ago. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi all, just joined this forum and i am looking for a bit help regarding my rav4 d4d 2002. It is unable to rev past around 3000 revs. it pulls fine up to then and then feels like someone has pulled the handbrake on. I have replaced the maf but still no better. I have just recently bought the car and by the looks it has had a new turbo fitted not that long ago. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi Richacrd

be sure turbo vanes are rotated smoothly;

check with EGR -- it looks like carbon deposits do partly cover gas passing holes creating contra gas pressure with braking effect.

cheers/Igor

Thanks for the link. looks a pretty straight forward job. will order he parts later today and fit at he end of the week. Also doing a service whilst the parts arrive.

will post back when fitted.

Thanks Igor for the advice, egr valve coming off later today. will let you know what condition it was in.

well the egr valve came off ok. it wasn't too dirty but cleaned and back on now. changed fuel filter, air and oil but still no luck. If it was the scv valves would that show a code or a light on the dash as i am getting neither. Will take them out and clean then put back and see what happens.

well the egr valve came off ok. it wasn't too dirty but cleaned and back on now. changed fuel filter, air and oil but still no luck. If it was the scv valves would that show a code or a light on the dash as i am getting neither. Will take them out and clean then put back and see what happens.

normally when both SCV are fafulty - the code is one for fuel system suction circuit

do not clean them as they are washed by pure diesel. your task is to inspect their control colenoids and measure resistance. check with pinned technical tips for SCV to prevent wrong steps

cheers/Igor

Thanks for advice, car going to local garage this afternoon,

Thanks for advice, car going to local garage this afternoon,

hopefully they will be familiar will the d4d engine, advise of outcome please.

Garage has informed that there are no codes showing on his snap on diagnostic tool. I showed him this thread and he will change the scv's. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Has quoted around £285 to do this inc parts. Pretty good value i think as i had a quick look around for the price of scv and not cheap.

Garage has informed that there are no codes showing on his snap on diagnostic tool. I showed him this thread and he will change the scv's. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Has quoted around £285 to do this inc parts. Pretty good value i think as i had a quick look around for the price of scv and not cheap.

make sure they are genuine toyota, if you email parts king on here or phone him 01244 821031

he should do a discounted price let him know your a member on here, unless your garage can get trade prices with your toyota dealership.

Have just picked the car up from local garage, he has fixed the problem but has not fitted the new scv's. He soaked the old ones overnight in diesel then cleaned off this morning and all is well. His reasoning was that if it was not the scv's then it would be a waste of money. Not sure how long this will last but at least i know it is these that will need replacing if or when it happens again. Oh and he only charged my £55 for doing this :)

Thanks for all the help and advice

Have just picked the car up from local garage, he has fixed the problem but has not fitted the new scv's. He soaked the old ones overnight in diesel then cleaned off this morning and all is well. His reasoning was that if it was not the scv's then it would be a waste of money. Not sure how long this will last but at least i know it is these that will need replacing if or when it happens again. Oh and he only charged my £55 for doing this :)

Thanks for all the help and advice

Good result, let us know how long it lasts. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Right, where to start. The scv's lasted about 3 days. not a problem i thought as i now know what the problem is i will just replace them. Wrong, replaced yesterday and exactly the same. Lack of power around 3000 revs. So far i have replaced the maf sensor, cleaned the egr valve and changed the scv's. Also checked the waste gate and it has movement. Where do i go from here?

What concerns me is that it worked fine when i cleaned the old scv's but the new ones did nothing. Any advice is more than welcome as i am losing the will to fix it.

Richard

being of the "two left hands" and "ten thumbed" persuasion myself, I have every sympathy but no practical help.

You've persevered longer than I would, I'd have been to my local Toyota dealer like a shot as I'd expect them to have a better grasp of how to diagnose (maybe a more trick plug-in diagnosis computer ?) and ultimately how to fix the problem.

OK, so it will cost more than a local garage but you will probably get a more satisfactory result.

Good Luck

yes fuel filter has been changed, along with air filter.

went to local dealer who said "no point in scanning, as no codes will show up if engine management light is not on". Also quoted me £80.00 an hour and said would take about 45-60 mins. then told me to change fuel pump and injectors. not what i wanted here.

i am going to take scv's out and just make sure that i didn't catch the rubber seals. (maybe clutching at straws, but worth a try)

Thats not true. It can store codes with the EML off.

I think i caught the guy at the dealership on a bad day. He just wasn't interested. His loss.

The scv's were these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290822910320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I spoke to them on the phone and they assured me they are the ones for this car. Is there a way of fitting these wrong other than putting them in the wrong way round? I oiled the o rings and made sure it went straight in without touching the sides?

Just get the red and green right. Don't hit them with a hammer like the youtube clip!

Hi Anchorman, didnt need to tap them in just used the bolts by doing a small turn on each on. Still the same problem. Will be taking the fuel pump of and sending to local company to be tested, so fingers crossed it is that as slowly running out of patience not to mention money. :(

You shouldn't need to pull them in with the bolts - that may well be why they are not working. They should slide up flush with finger pressure.

Take it you haven't removed a fuel pump before?

They start with a pump and build the engine round it.

Good luck.

No, never done fuel pump before. I am a valeter and have a few mechanics to call favours in with. At least the timing belt will done at the same time so one less thing to go wrong.:)

Thanks for input

just for those looking to replace SCV here is a video on an older Avensis

Thats the clot that uses a hammer. Wonder if he fits headlight bulbs the same way???