Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Avensis Holding Back Again......

GrahamJH

Hi All, My t180 is holding back, hesitating and damn gutless when putting your foot down. This sometimes starts at around 2000rpm but, is usually 3000 upwards and very reluctant to climb in the revs department. I have had a new 3/4 engine fitted this year along with an ecu reset/upgrade. Before that a new egr valve was fitted in December last year also. I have no lights on the dash telling me/warning me of anything either.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

Graham.

It's me again with an update to the annoying problem. Have noticed this morning that the car is worse when it's between 1/4 to 1/2 way on the temp gauge. Does or has anyone else had similar problems? It's getting worse now.

Thanks

Graham.

Get some Shell V-Power in her with a tin of BG244 and give it a nice hard workout up hill. Could be that the EGR is starting to get blocked! Have you taken the valve off to take a look?What fuel have you been using? Have you changed the fuel/air filters? If not that would be the 1st place I'd start. SCV can be a problem to...

Blimey in less than a year of having a new one fitted? Use Shell diesel and no additive and no I haven't changed any filters since it was last serviced by Toyota in May this year. Has another 4000 miles before next service which is a big one 80k. What is the SCV please?

Thank you for responding

Graham.

Blimey in less than a year of having a new one fitted? Use shell diesel and no additive and no I haven't changed any filters since it was last serviced by Toyota in May this year. Has another 4000 miles before next service which is a big one 80k. What is the SCV please?

Thank you for responding

Graham.

go for the easiest and one cheapest option try that BG244, if you do not have anywhere local to who sells it try eBay. i think its about £20 delivered.

you dont have to replace egr everytime it gets blocked it can be cleaned.

do you have black smoke or any other colour?

What is an SCV?

SCV's (Suction Control Valves) are used in Common Rail diesel engines to control the pressure of the fuel in the accumulator. The pressure is varied by the ECU by controlling how much fuel the pump feeds into the accumulator, replacing the fuel as it is delivered into the engine by the injectors. Low pressure for the injectors at idle, high pressure at maximum power.

Electrically operated, SCVs can need to open and close at up to 200 times per second and if they stick or fail to open properly then poor running, starting and power loss can occur. Sticking when hot is often cited as a cause of hot starting problems. D4D pumps may have one or two of these valves depending on the type of pump fitted, this is important when ordering the correct parts.

Vehicles commonly affected by this have the 1CD-FTV 2.0 D4D Engine 2000-2005, found on RAV4/Avensis/Corolla built between these dates. This article SCV's on the RAV4 Forum provides an overview of the location and parts on a two valve pump. These parts are typically £250 to replace + fitting if required.

There has been another thread on a rav4 forum.

he was unable to pass 3000 revs.

read by clicking on topic.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141353

Thanks for your info, much appreciated and informative. Have bought some additive so will give that a go first. As for smoke out the back, not sure as the only time i seem to be driving at the moment it's dark lol. Will have a look over the weekend.

regards

Graham.

Thanks for your info, much appreciated and informative. Have bought some additive so will give that a go first. As for smoke out the back, not sure as the only time i seem to be driving at the moment it's dark lol. Will have a look over the weekend.

regards

Graham.

ok. let us know how you get on..

Hi, night time is the best time to see smoke....... when some one comes up behind you.. drop the pedal and take a peek in the rear view mirror. Might not be able to see the color properly but will give you an idea of quantity.

Well guys, have been out for a nice trip and so far not a lot of difference to be honest. Minimal smoke out the back which was only once I saw it which was a grey/black colour or similar. Still is almost perfect from cold but, when at the 1/4 to 1/2 way on temp gauge is an absolute gutless wonder sometimes. Other times very hesistant to get going. Could this be down to a sensor problem maybe? Is it time to book it in for a diagnostic check?

Thanks for the replies so far guys

Graham.

Well guys, have been out for a nice trip and so far not a lot of difference to be honest. Minimal smoke out the back which was only once I saw it which was a grey/black colour or similar. Still is almost perfect from cold but, when at the 1/4 to 1/2 way on temp gauge is an absolute gutless wonder sometimes. Other times very hesistant to get going. Could this be down to a sensor problem maybe? Is it time to book it in for a diagnostic check?

Thanks for the replies so far guys

Graham.

my 2004 avensis suffered power loss when warmed up.

cold it was fine. after about 3/4 miles felt like turbo had gone.

pulling out at junctions was a nightmare, it would be very slow then all of a sudden a boost of power would come.

sometimes would get black smoke.

and I had no engine management light showing.

I had egr cleaned out. back to normal.

you don't have to replace the egr valve everything it gets clogged up. i would only replace if faulty.

this video may help.

Thanks for that. Another question for you if you don't mind. Did yours feel jerky on overun and light throttle etc?

Thanks

Graham.

Thanks for that. Another question for you if you don't mind. Did yours feel jerky on overun and light throttle etc?

Thanks

Graham.

Don't mind all.

yeah it was jerking before it got worse and was very rough, I though I was putting into the wrong gear.

What kind of driving do you do, town or motorway

how many miles is your average daily trip.

I take its the 2.2 t180 is that right?

Have you filled up at a different garage in the past, I once filled up at a Shell in Wales which promptly clogged up my diesel filter (was on a Peugeot 407) which caused a MIL to come on. Cheap to change the diesel filter just for a check......

I do a bit of both which is approx 15 miles each way. Yes it is the 2.2 180. Is there a new gasket etc required for the clean to the egr?

Mainly a Shell garage but there has been a couple else where.

Thanks again

Graham.

You don't need a new gasket as the old ones can be re used. Get a few tins of carb cleaner ready and some small childrens tooth brushes. I used the wifes and she was none the wiser! but her teeth were a bit black by the end of it! :eat::blow:

I do a bit of both which is approx 15 miles each way. Yes it is the 2.2 180. Is there a new gasket etc required for the clean to the egr?

Mainly a shell garage but there has been a couple else where.

Thanks again

Graham.

clink on this link below

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Well, after a week of driving after cleaning the egr valve etc, the horrible symptom has gradually come back with a vengeance lol. It did seem to be settling and felt smoother to drive again :D . It still seems to drive nice from cold but once it gets to 1/4 way on temp gauge the gutless, hesitation / misfiring - type symptom begins. Daren't even try to overtake when it's like this. Anymore ideas please before I make the call to Toyota?

Thanks

Graham.

Have you also cleaned the manifold pipe which connects to the egr valve as that could also be blocked. The maf sensor near the air filter may need cleaning with electronic cleaner, don't touch the fine wires with anything not even your fingers, just spray them. You could actually try disconnecting the plug on the maf sensor to see if it makes any change, if it doesn't then it's faulty so try cleaning it, picture attached just click on it to enlarge.

Pete.

post-74463-0-52003200-1355223099_thumb.g

• 2 months later...

Hi All. Just an update on original fault. First time the dealer didn't find the problem. The car finally broke down as it would did not want to rev. It turned out to be a fuel filter problem. It was changed along with it's 80,000 service. So far so good.......

Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

At Christmas, I also had a problem with the engine being very hesitant above 3000 revs. However after the next fill-up the engine was back to normal.

The previous fill-up had been at a Shell station which had just re-opened after conversion from Texaco and the pumps had stickers saying the diesel wasn't 'fuelsave'. I guess they were selling off some dirty old diesel from the bottom of the tanks. Haven't bought anything from there since!