Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stickerfix Or Aerosol Spray

Lorna2

I've got a small, no, a tiny chip on the car :crybaby:

I wanted to get a touch up pen but it turns out they're not doing them any more in Burning Red. They said I can use either Stickerfix or an aerosol spray. Decisions, decisions...

I had Stickerfix on the first Yaris, that must be about 7 years ago. It didn't do a bad job as such, but it could have been better. The problem was that the edges of the sticker were slightly visible. I had a 'friend' point it out to me, so I always saw it after that.(Yes, one of those sorts of friends)

I'm sure Stickerfix has improved over the years. Hopefully anyway ;) Then with it being permanent, I'm a bit wary of putting it on, then getting the same problem I had before with the edge being slightly noticable, but not being able to take the sticker off again to replace it with something better.

Has anyone tried the aerosol? Is it messy? Is it more suited to bigger areas? I only have a really small chip.

I know I could get a touch up paint in Halfords, but I won't as I don't think it would be of the same quality as the Toyota paint.

I've got a small, no, a tiny chip on the car :crybaby:

I wanted to get a touch up pen but it turns out they're not doing them any more in Burning Red. They said I can use either Stickerfix or an aerosol spray. Decisions, decisions...

I had Stickerfix on the first Yaris, that must be about 7 years ago. It didn't do a bad job as such, but it could have been better. The problem was that the edges of the sticker were slightly visible. I had a 'friend' point it out to me, so I always saw it after that.(Yes, one of those sorts of friends)

I'm sure Stickerfix has improved over the years. Hopefully anyway ;) Then with it being permanent, I'm a bit wary of putting it on, then getting the same problem I had before with the edge being slightly noticable, but not being able to take the sticker off again to replace it with something better.

Has anyone tried the aerosol? Is it messy? Is it more suited to bigger areas? I only have a really small chip.

I know I could get a touch up paint in Halfords, but I won't as I don't think it would be of the same quality as the Toyota paint.

Both of these methods are messy and often make the chip appear worse. I find waterproof lipstick the answer. You can match practically any colour, clean the chip with methylated spirit then apply several coats into the chip wiping the excess from the surrounding paintwork each time. You only want to fill the chip not daub the surrounding paint!

Regards Geoff Peace.

Why not use the aerosol. After shaking the can spray a little in to it lid - leave to sit in a warm area(not hot) - it will start to thicken and when at the right consistency use a brush or a straighened out paper clip to dab in the chip area. A light blow of a warm hairdryer first will chase any moisture from the damaged area. Also the same procedure can be used to dry the paint but don't force it. Most paints work best at around 20 degress C.

I have been using the above method for over 30 years. It works but you need to be patient and careful.

That sounds like a good idea James, I might try that. It sounds better than stickerfix (so far). Maybe I'd need to wait til the weather gets warmer as I don't have a garage for the heat needed. Then again, it might be alright, I used the touch up paint before when it was cold.

Not sure about the waterproof lippy Geoff, might be hard to get the right shade ;) . It would come off again sometime. I'd be too scared to put methylated spirit on the paint. True though that I only want to fill the chip and not around it.

Lorna,I was sent a sample of Stickerfix from Toyota,last year as it was not available generally from Main Dealers.Tried it and came to the same conclusion as you. I got a touch-up kit from Toyota and found if you take your time on the stonechips you can do a half decent job.Don,t go down the Chips-away route, expensive and does not work.

Regards Clare

I know you put Toyota on a pedestal but to say Halfords paint won't be up to Toyota quality is ludicrous! My main gripe with Halfords is their prices. Anyway if Toyota are no longer doing the nail varnish style pots of touch up paint then go to a local motor factors (one that does paint) with your paint code and get them to mix you one up.

Hi Lorna,meths will not harm you paint at all.

used it many times to clean and dry paint. gets rid of things like wax if your going stick anything on the paintwork.

Lorna,I was sent a sample of Stickerfix from Toyota,last year as it was not available generally from Main Dealers.Tried it and came to the same conclusion as you. I got a touch-up kit from Toyota and found if you take your time on the stonechips you can do a half decent job.Don,t go down the Chips-away route, expensive and does not work. Regards Clare

Thanks for letting me know Clare. The only time I ever had Stickerfix it came with the car (first Yaris). I've been really pleased with the touch up paint from Toyota, it did a great job on a scratch! It wasn't even noticeable any more after I painted it :)

Hi Lorna,meths will not harm you paint at all. used it many times to clean and dry paint. gets rid of things like wax if your going stick anything on the paintwork.

That's good to know. So I don't have to try it on someone else's car first then ;) I'll probably not go to the bother of using that before I fix my chip, I'll just give it a good wash and dry first.

I know you put Toyota on a pedestal but to say Halfords paint won't be up to Toyota quality is ludicrous! My main gripe with Halfords is their prices. Anyway if Toyota are no longer doing the nail varnish style pots of touch up paint then go to a local motor factors (one that does paint) with your paint code and get them to mix you one up.

Chris as I said earlier, I've used the Toyota paint before and been very happy with it, so I've no reason to try out Halfords (etc) paint. I don't want to experiment with Halfords paint, as its a permanent job and if I don't like the finish, its too late.

Well I've been in touch with Toyota to find out more about the paint. They told me that some updated information has been sent through to them letting them know the Burning Red touch up paint pen is available.

Touch Up Pen

Part Number: PZ448-W3N80-09

RRP £8.14 + VAT

Paint (Can):

Part Number: PZ448-B3N80-15

RRP £7.96 + VAT

StickerFix:

Part Number PZ48V-W3N80-A5

RRP £31.53 + VAT

They have checked and there is stock available of the Burning Red Touch Up Pen. Its water based and so can only be shipped if the storage conditions are ideal, for example in the winter where there is potential for the product to freeze. As a result, there may be a delay on it until the spring. So I'm going to check with Donnelly & Taggart to see if they have any in stock themselves -(probably not) or if they can get any in. If they can't get it yet I'll just wait til spring. :)

Blimey, those all seem very expensive for such small amounts of paint... :unsure:

Blimey, those all seem very expensive for such small amounts of paint... :unsure:

Yes but it's Toyota paint, so it's the best paint money can buy :laughing:

They have checked and there is stock available of the Burning Red Touch Up Pen. Its water based and so can only be shipped if the storage conditions are ideal, for example in the winter where there is potential for the product to freeze. As a result, there may be a delay on it until the spring.

Never heard of such clap trap, there is hardly a sinner in the warehouse to block sending a touch up pen out, everything is done by a robot, if I ordered one today, it would be here tomorrow, I wonder who thought that up???

Kingo :thumbsup:

They have checked and there is stock available of the Burning Red Touch Up Pen. Its water based and so can only be shipped if the storage conditions are ideal, for example in the winter where there is potential for the product to freeze. As a result, there may be a delay on it until the spring.

Never heard of such clap trap, there is hardly a sinner in the warehouse to block sending a touch up pen out, everything is done by a robot, if I ordered one today, it would be here tomorrow, I wonder who thought that up???

Kingo :thumbsup:

You have a way with words Kingo ... love it! They do try to paint a very bad picture of Toyota don't they ... must be that new fangled health and safety water based stuff they are using. :spiteful:

Pete.

Beyond belief Pete, just like the elfin safety law that says we have to have an explosives licence for air bags and they must be kept in a lockable steel cabinet. They are not delivered in a lockable steel cabinet so whats that all about :D: :blowup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links