Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Problem Re-Fitting Alt/ps/air-Con Belt.

mark_le_b

Hi All

Any help/suggestions for a problem I am having getting a new Air-Con/Alt/Ps belt back onto my wifes Rav.

Got it off ok moving the tensioner - but for the life of my can't seem to be able to get it back on moving the tensioner.

Is there a particular knack? Or, any particular pulley I should try and get it onto last?

I have moved the tensioner with a short (ish) knuckle bar - is it worth using a much longer bar in the hope I can move the tensioner that bit further down.

I assume lubing one of the smooth pulleys/tensioner is out of the question to try and "slip" the belt on a bit??

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I seem to be getting nowhere fast - am swearing a lot at it though - but thats not helping :-)

Cheers.

Mark.

Assuming its a VVTI petrol ?

You need the front right wheel off and remove the plastic engine cover.

I found the tensioner hard to compress using a 2ft breaker bar, anything less will be very hard work.

You need to compress the tensioner slowly (take at least 3 seconds to avoid damper damage) and then get a helper to slip the belt on from underneath. Make sure it goes over a smooth pulley (ie one without a lip) last. From memory its the water pump last.

Had mine on and off a few times definitely a two person job.

Definitely No lube

Good luck

Ian

Just a suggestion,when I changed mine I learned there are two sizes of belt for with/ without A/C

Is it possible you may have been supplied the wrong one?

Got to completely agree with Ian's comments 100% re fitting

Del

Assuming its a VVTI petrol ?

You need the front right wheel off and remove the plastic engine cover.

I found the tensioner hard to compress using a 2ft breaker bar, anything less will be very hard work.

You need to compress the tensioner slowly (take at least 3 seconds to avoid damper damage) and then get a helper to slip the belt on from underneath. Make sure it goes over a smooth pulley (ie one without a lip) last. From memory its the water pump last.

Had mine on and off a few times definitely a two person job.

Definitely No lube

Good luck

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes, VVTI.

I have the plastic cover off, but will try a longer bar for more leverage.

Won't use any lube and will try again tomorrow. I was guessing the smooth pulley was the one that should be tried last.

We were getting close today - so am hoping a longer bar will do the trick.

Have to say, even with the plastic off, still pretty tight in there!

Thanks for the help.

Fingers crossed I can leave more feeb-back tomorrow with a positive result!

Mark.

Just a suggestion,when I changed mine I learned there are two sizes of belt for with/ without A/C

Is it possible you may have been supplied the wrong one?

Got to completely agree with Ian's comments 100% re fitting

Del

Thanks Del, I did think they had supplied the wrong one - but checked it to the new one - and they are the same, other than a possible bit of stretch in the old one.

Cheers

Dunno how long you had the new belt outside today but it has been pretty cold. May be be worth leaving it somewhere warm inside until the last minute - might just have a bit more give..........

Dunno how long you had the new belt outside today but it has been pretty cold. May be be worth leaving it somewhere warm inside until the last minute - might just have a bit more give..........

Thanks, it had been in my equally cold garage - so will leave inside in the warm until I try again.

Cheers

In the past when I have fully compressed the tensioner the new belt has always slipped on easily with a few mm clearance. You have to be careful when compressing the tensioner as there are a few pipes etc that can get in the way. You will probably need a 12 point socket on the tensioner to enable you to position the breaker bar for maximum movement avoiding pipes etc.

I found the job just impossible to do yourself as there is no simple way of locking the tensioner.

We put one on Kevs F2 a couple of months ago. Seem to think there was something stopping it clearing but shcm was watching the belt while I turned. I think I went underneath in the end while somebody fed it on at the top. It was very tight without the proper tensioning tool. Because there is a spring loaded/hydraulic tensioner, you have to compress it very slowly to allow the oil through it.

1AZFSE serp belt.pdf

We put one on Kevs F2 a couple of months ago. Seem to think there was something stopping it clearing but shcm was watching the belt while I turned. I think I went underneath in the end while somebody fed it on at the top. It was very tight without the proper tensioning tool. Because there is a spring loaded/hydraulic tensioner, you have to compress it very slowly to allow the oil through it.

1AZFSE serp belt.pdf

.....and if I remember correctly, more purchase was gained when I SUGGESTED you work at tensioner from engine bay downwards.....?

In the past when I have fully compressed the tensioner the new belt has always slipped on easily with a few mm clearance. You have to be careful when compressing the tensioner as there are a few pipes etc that can get in the way. You will probably need a 12 point socket on the tensioner to enable you to position the breaker bar for maximum movement avoiding pipes etc.

I found the job just impossible to do yourself as there is no simple way of locking the tensioner.

I've used a larger bar, which is bending I'm applying so much pressure and there still isn't enough clearnace to get the belt on!

So I am at a loss, the tensioner just deosn't seem to have enough "give" in it. I've used a 12 point socket to get as much leverage as possible - but just can't pull it far enough that it is going far enough down the piston for my helper to get the belt on.

Any more ideas?

Is it possible the tensioner is goosed not allowing enough movement?

I'm sure you had some sort of input big boy but I had indigestion from eating burnt sausage rolls so my memory is tainted.

Back to this serpentine belt. I do remember having a hell of a job to shift it and think it may have been jammed. Did you try from underneath? I seem to remember that there was more clearance for the socket bar to turn without it fouling.

If you can turn the engine at the same time you can tease the belt off. We used the top front pulley I think.

VICTORY!!

My brother in law managed to persuade the belt onto the smooth pulley (water pump?) with some blunt instruments (as not to damage the belt) whilst I held the tensioner with the knuckle bar.

Have to say it was still very tight - but its on now, so happy days.

Thanks all for all of the useful tips, I have no doubt this won't be the last time I have to ask for help!!

Mark.