Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dipped Headlamps

Technics kn7

The dipped headlamps on my 2010 Gen 3 Prius are so bad i'm surprised they have passed UK Construction and Use / Lighting regulations. Have only had the car a couple of months but having difficulty seeing when on dipped headlights. Other comments have been made regarding this but i don't see any recommendations for improving the situation. would a better bulb help at all.? Have even considered driving on main beam with the headlamp levelling turned right down. Help please before i have an accident.!!!!!!!

Try a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Plus +90% bulbs in place of the originals. Think your Prius Gen 3 will take the same bulb fitment as my Auris - H11's. Unfortunately the choice of upgrade bulbs in this fitment is limited. Powerbulbs - 29.95 pounds a pair. Autobulbs Direct - 29.50 pounds (excl 5% TOC discount). Amazon - 24.55 pounds (sold by Upgrade bulbs [same people who operate Powerbulbs.com]). All with free shipping.

FWIW the only trouble I have on dipped beams is for the second or two as I pass another car the dazzle blacks out my view ahead. Apart from that I obviously limit my speed to the distance I can see ahead but don't find this slows me down at all.

What exactly is the problem? Do you want to be able to see further ahead or see more clearly within the limits of the dipped beam? Or is it perhaps that the beam isn't wide enough?

The dipped beam does have quite a sharp cut-off which limits the distance you can see ahead. Putting in higher output bulbs will, I assume, make this area brighter but not increase the distance. Also remember that if you increase the distance you are also increasing the amount of dazzle you are causing other drivers.

Thanks for your replies. To be honest I find the dipped headlights extremely dim compared to my last two cars (Qashqai and Corolla). It's not so much the distance but the amount of light immediately in front of the vehicle.I'll give the Nightbreaker bulbs a try to see if they improve things at all.

This thread has just reminded me to do something about the shocking visibility with dipped lights so thanks to everyone who's posted.

Frostyballs, I can't find the Nightbreaker Plus on Amazon at that price, just the regular Nightbreaker ones.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in price, so I'm getting mine through fleabay for about £27 delivered.

cheers

valmiki

Postings from Marketplace Sellers do change - for example the posting for bulbs at 24.45 by AP Motor Store wasn't on yesterday.

I don't remember this topic coming up before, and both Technics and valmiki have similar age cars so I wonder whether there could have been a bad batch of bulbs in 2010 and they are now starting to show premature ageing. It may be worth seeing if the dealer has any ideas.

I also find Prius lights poor. Better bulbs will help. Europarts have Osram bulbs at £18 a pair

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/lighting-accessories/upgrade-headlamp-bulbs/?481770197&0&cc5_847

If Gen 3 is like Gen 2, the problem is getting them in. With about 1 inch space to play with, it took me ages to change them.

Oh OK

Take it easy and use a small mirror but do not drop it like I did into the wheel arch.

Do not force or snap anything, and make sure the connectors are properly fixed afterwards. It is a bit tight getting them on the back of the bulb.

I too have had the same problem - and resorted to changing the bulbs to try and improve the situation. Which thankfully it did, though there is still what I would consider barely enough light thrown forward.

BTW - the off-side takes about 2 minutes to change and is "easy", the near-side took me some 20 minutes and the loss of skin from my hands until realized it would be easier if I removed a few bits (temporarily) to allow my big hands to get in to access the bulb.

I'll be interested to hear how others get on?

Osram Nightbreaker Plus now fitted, following instructions in the manual definitely helped, the driver side bulb required a bolt to be taken off (10mm), unclipping the coolant reservoir hose, you can then move the air duct over a bit for a little more space for your hands. A vast improvement on my last car, a couple of minor curses and no blood-letting involved :-)

Those rubber 'boots' are fine on newer cars in the summer. The rubber gets hard when it's cold (and through age) and they can be really difficult to get off. They were a nightmare on my 2nd gen Prius.

Nightbreaker Plus bulbs arrived yesterday. Got them through Amazon (AP Motors at £24 Delivered). Will fit them tomorrow and take the advice from Valmiki and remove the air intake and coolant hose first.Do the connectors have to come off first before removing the bulbs or is there enough cable to take the plugs off after they have been removed. Otherwise the job looks fairly straightforward. I fitted H I D's to a previous car (Corolla) and the difference was amazing but I'm not sure about fitting them to my Prius. Has anyone tried it. would appreciate any advice on the subject.

There's enough cable, just unscrew the connectors off first (anticlockwise I think) then change the bulbs. Take a look in the manual if you have it, shouldn't be more than 15 mins ;-)

Nightbreaker bulbs fitted yesterday. Managed the nearside one in a couple of minutes but offside one was difficult to remove once unlocked. Probably the rubber seal sticking. Eventually managed it and more than pleased with the result. So much so I was flashed by two other motorists (on dipped) and had to lower the beam slightly. I would certainly recommend them .

Glad to see you've had success, I haven't! I've figured out that the lights need a proper alignment, another one for the list (!)

If the same happens to mine I think I would contact Osram to claim a refund. Is there any guarantee at all with the bulbs (Either period or hours use.?)

If it's a business that sold them the answer is yes. Every new product sold has to come with a warranty. Sale of goods act 1979. There are some differences in Scottish law

Goods have to be fit for purpose and of merchantable quality

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Can anybody point me to a guide on changing H11 on my Toyota Prius 2010 T-Spirit?

The importance of the evenness (or distribution) of light hasn't been emphasised on this thread. If it is brighter in the centre, then your eyes will adjust to that, making it *appear* as if the brightness at the edges is much worse than it is.

There are some pictures and discussion on this thread, indicating that those with LED headlights may not have much to gain by changing their bulbs....

http://priuschat.com/threads/halogen-vs-led-headlights-with-pictures.66527/