Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is This? White Spots On Engine Covers

avensisd4d786

Hello guys please can you advise why there is white dots on my engine covers

could the water pump be leaking

my coolant is all there. 2004 d4d 2.0

engine temp is ok.

no fans coming on..

post-125194-0-08363400-1354470649_thumb.

post-125194-0-07937400-1354470671_thumb.

post-125194-0-20197500-1354470697_thumb.

post-125194-0-56057100-1354470715_thumb.

if the water pump is leaking it'll come out the bottom (& you say that your coolant level hasn't dropped).

The last 3 I would tend to put down to just stuff off the road being kicked up through the engine bay etc. but spotting by the coolant tank (i.e. first photo) can be a sign of a head gasket going.

Could it be some sort of fungus or something of that ilk?

Looks like salt from the roads, have they been spreading the stuff in the north east recently.

TSP.

if the water pump is leaking it'll come out the bottom (& you say that your coolant level hasn't dropped).

The last 3 I would tend to put down to just stuff off the road being kicked up through the engine bay etc. but spotting by the coolant tank (i.e. first photo) can be a sign of a head gasket going.

Could it be some sort of fungus or something of that ilk?

Looks like salt from the roads, have they been spreading the stuff in the north east recently.

TSP.

Thank you guys for a fast reponse, I am hoping its the salt they have been spreading, I have not noticed it before. I have cleaned it off shortly after i took the photos and see what happens. any checks I can do. I have 1cd-ftv engine im sure this is not prone to the headgasket problem. drove the car last night checked this morning no white spotting, coolant still there, heaters working ok. temp ok aswell.

Hi

As they say, looks like salt, used to get a lot of marks like that before they started to cover engine bays in.

Ian

Hi

As they say, looks like salt, used to get a lot of marks like that before they started to cover engine bays in.

Ian

thank you, its just I have seen pictures of other avensis's with white spots and they have had headgasket failure.

Agreed, I though this was one of the first signs of the head gasket failing ?

maybe its the cap should i replace the cap?

just a update been driving today, lifted the bonnet and no white spots since cleaning,

I check under the hood every week without fail, check on all fluid levels, never seen white spotting until the spreaders were out, will keep a close eye on it.

has anyone heard of 1cd-ftv with headgasket failure.

Freaky... how does the salt even get up there!? :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

It's more than likely damp air,that's why you see it mostly in winter.It's similar to the oxide corrosion you get on alloys wheels when their old and the laquers chipped off.

It seems to be a reaction to cold and damp more than anything.You don't get it on the engine block,head,rocker covers,alloy castings etc because they get properly heated when the engine runs and that seems to keep it at bay.I mean,I noticed all the photos in your question are of alloy parts that are in unheated areas except the top cover but even that doesn't get hot.

Put it like this,if you leave your car over winter outside and don't run it your engine block,head and all other parts that are made of alloy will be totally covered in these white spots like it's got bloody measels.lol

White spots don't mean a water leak,yes it is caused by moisture but normally moisture and cold in the air.For some reason,I've noticed Japanese cars are worse for this not just Toyota but Nissan are too !!

Cheers Guys :cheers: :cheers:

I have been keeping a close eye. Area is clean now no white spot after I cleaned it. Coolant is all there.

Must of been the salt they have been spreading. :thumbsup::driving: