Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Freak Airbag Incident.

aygomansfield

today i hit a curb with toyota aygo(06 plate) and for some freak reason the airbags whent off, now i know this will not be a cheap fix.

what im getting at is is has anybody had there airbags replaced if so what was your cost? or could somebody give me a rough idea what the cost will be?

Regards,

josh

p.s. there is no body damage.

Hi Josh and a big welcome to the club.

There is a member on here that goes by the name of Parts King AKA Kingo who offers a discount on Toyota OEM parts.

If you hit the kerb with what appears to be a lot of force it might also be a good idea to have the tyre/s and steering set up checked.

Just my opinion

Good luck with this

Del

If you hit a curb with such force to set the airbag off then it is very likely you have suspension damage. Airbags are very expensive, you need to take your car to your Toyota bodyshop for an estimate, it will not be as easy as just changing the air bags over

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes, airbags should only go off on a life-threatening impact, so I'd suspect a faulty sensor which should be checked/changed as well.

The dealer should be able to tell you why the bag went off; in terms of which sensor - I doubt though they'd admit to a faulty sensor firing it.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the "faulty air bag sensor" theory.

We have no idea about the accident. I suspect the air bags did exactly what they are supposed to do. They detected sudden decelleration and deployed to protect the occupants. The air bags do not know if you hit the curb or a cow or a car. I suspect the impact was severe enough to set them off

Kingo :thumbsup:

No matter how hard you hit a curb, if there is no body damage as the OP says then the lateral forces on the occupants would not be severe and the airbags should not deploy. You could get a similar shock hitting (running over) a piece of timber on the motorway - that would be a dangerous situation anyway, but if it slammed the airbag in your face as well it could be a whole lot worse.

The reason for high settings (as well as avoiding spurious triggers) is that the protection given by an airbag only lasts for a fraction of a second and many accidents involve multiple impacts. For example, suppose you lose control, bounce over the curb, roll on a few metres and hit a tree. If the bag fires going over the kerb (which might jar your back but the bag won't help that anyway) then when you hit the tree you'll be saying hello to the steering wheel.

So if something in the OP's car isn't faulty then I'd say the Aygo airbag system must be a crock. (Though if it's as intelligent as the MMT controller I'm sorry to say that wouldn't surprise me.)

Hi there, you can buy an airbag kit from a salvage Aygo, they sell on eBay from £350 up to around £600.

The kit consists of front two airbags, airbag ECU, front two seatbelts. I'm assuming your seatbelt would have locked too. I've changed a kit on a crashed car before. It's not a difficult job, it would probably take me an hour to do it again.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Most likely you will have bent your suspension too, get the alignment checked.

You could be into 4 figures for toyota to replace them. The insurance company could well write the car off as well, so be careful before telling them.

I would ,as has been said get the suspension checked and the steering rack checked.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links