Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Fuel Issue

SalmanKhan

Hi Guys,

I've had my Avensis T2 (04 plate) for over two years now, until recently I had no problems, but I seem to have an issue regarding the fuel consumption.

Its a 1.8 Petrol TripTronic model.

A full tank costs me about £60, the fuel display used to show me about a range of over 300miles once tanked up.

Now im only getting 260 miles on a full tank, nothing has changed and I use the car as normal.

Any ideas what is causing the drop in the mileage that i can do on the full tank of petrol?

• 1 month later...

Just bought a "60" plate d4d 2.0 tr Avensis and am very dissappointed to find that with very carefull driving I am only getting around 39 mpg. My preious car also avensis "2005" dvd 2.0 t3x got around 48 even with 180,000 on the clock.

I have tried to drive aggresively to blow out the cobwebs but nothing seems to change.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi benjamat, i own a 58 plate avensis tourer eatate, and i had same problem when i picked it up, i get a decent return mpg wise now though, just needs some tlc, i change oil every 5-7k miles, fuel filter however i put redex through every 3k or so and give the car a good bullying on the motorway aswell, egr valve is well worth whipping off and cleaning, but the car will learn you soon so just stick with it, plus the weather has been cold so that could be a contributing factor bringing mpg down in diesels, hope something here helps, tyre pressures aswell, even something that simple can make a small difference, and if the tracking is out you could be fighting a losing battle with added rolling resistance,

Regards Phil

Thanks Phil,

You may be right, anyway I am doing the things you have suggested, I dont hang around so expect to see something soon.

Not sure about the "egr" valve, not something I know much about really, I,ll do some research on it.

Thanks again,

Mike.

• 1 month later...

I have not seen any great improvement in mpg, now it is just over 40 having done 5k miles. Had a couple of blasts of white smoke out the rear which was worrying but I am told this is normal, did not seem to improve anything.

I have done everything possible except the egr valve and am not sure how to tackle this.

Many thanks Mike.

Type it into youtube if you are unsure, i am pretty sure there is a how to on there?? If not mine is due a clean so i can whip it off and put pics on here in the how to section or something on the weekend, if i can figure out how to do that first as computers arent my strong point, haha

Regards Phil

have you had it serviced including spark plugs in the 2 years of ownership

also poor maf / lambda / vacum leaks etc will contribute to poor mpg

The car is a D4D, no spark plugs and I would not expect a problem with glow plugs that did not exhibit in other ways also, ie - rough running or poor starting.