Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adding Heated Windscreen Washer Nozzles On T22?

perdaniel

I have a 2001 Avensis T22. One of the windscreen washer nozzles is not spraying as it should (of course it is the one on the drivers side...). I have tried cleaning it but it haven't improved its performance much, so I have been thinking about buying a new set of nozzles. This morning it was cold, and the road was covered in salty slush. I tried using the washer to get the dirt off the windscreen but nothing came out. Both nozzles had frozen, so I had to stop and pour washer fluid directly on the windscreen to be able to see clearly. This made me think of adding heated nozzles, I have searched but haven't found any heated nozzles made for the Avensis. Does there exist heated nozzles for other cars that will fit, or can be made to fit without too much work (I have a Dremel).

If not already doing so, use washer fluid with an antifreeze. For example ethanol (not engine coolant antifreeze).

Could also be something stuck in the tiny nozzle hole. could be car wax or similar.

For cleaning them out, use a suitable, not too wide metal wire.

Heated nozzles won't stop the washer fluid from freezing once it hits the screen. In severe conditions I use undiluted screenwash from the Lidl stores - 5 litres ofr £5-99 - they claim it won't freeze down to minus 60C but i have found a 50/50 solution works in most conditions.

Heated nozzles won't stop the washer fluid from freezing once it hits the screen. In severe conditions I use undiluted screenwash from the Lidl stores - 5 litres ofr £5-99 - they claim it won't freeze down to minus 60C but i have found a 50/50 solution works in most conditions.

I know that the fluid will freeze when it hits the windscreeen if it has a temperature below 0C. My problem is that the nozzles tend to thaw more slowly than the windscreen which is heated by the warm air inside the car, so that in many cases the windscreen is warm but the nozzles are frozen.

If not already doing so, use washer fluid with an antifreeze. For example ethanol (not engine coolant antifreeze).

Could also be something stuck in the tiny nozzle hole. could be car wax or similar.

For cleaning them out, use a suitable, not too wide metal wire.

I am of course using washer fluid with antifreeze, it has a minimum temperature of -15C. I have cleaned the nozzles, but it is too much hassle to clean them every single winter morning to get rid of the ice that have formed in them during the night.

Hi There

Old (and cheap ! ) trick I have used on many cars is to buy a couple of cheap connecters (about 20p each from Halfords / MDC etc), and about 2 meters of tubing the same diameter as the origional feed to the washers. Then splice the extra tubing about 2 feet after the washer pump, wrap the excess several times around the coolant top hose, and reconnect to the nozzles pipe. Make sure it is routed well away from exhaust hoever. Takes about a minute under normal conditions to melt nozzles, but not so hot that it cracks windscreen.

HTH

Cheers

Bazzer

Hi Bazzer,you used to be able to buy a kit for wrapping washer pipe work around the rad top hose.

but as you say if you can locate the correct size tubeing and make it up yourself then its a lot cheaper.

Surprised that all later cars have not got heated jets as standard.

I use the Lidl -60 anti freeze,they also do a ready mixed form but not sure of strengh.

but as i dont have to use the car daily these days its in the garage mostly so dont have

many problems.

Covering the screen overnight does help.

If you do make your own heated jets,make sure the hose a thick wall as the hose can collapse when heated up and you get no screen wash at all.

Found this heated screen wash kit,it will not be cheap but seems well made . www.heatshot.com

Further to above.the Heatshot unit is infact a Alpha Therm unit thats made in the USA.they are a well known domestic and industrial boiler producer.so should be a quality item. Heatshot have just stuck their label on it.

Heatshot are asking £179,99 for it. The distributor in the USA delivers theirs to the UK for £109.00.Ebay item 180578067494

I dont know how customs charge for an inport,may be its worked out on the price of an item, but buying the one from the USA has to be cheaper.

Dont need one myself now i have retired as the car garaged and does little miliage. But to someone say in Scotland and the North of Enland it could be a handy piece of kit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links