Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 2.2 D-4D Xtr -Mpg?

brakenut

Hi, I have recently bought a 2011 Toyota Rav4 2.2 D-4D XTR and I’m disappointed with my 37 MPG (combined) fuel consumption. Is this an acceptable MPG for this car?

Cheers Ian.

Sounds good to me :rolleyes: I'm sure other owners will be along shortly..............Kev?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well...... It depends on a lot of factors...

Is that average over your mileage in the vehicle or the previous owners and yours?

What sort of journeys are you doing?

You will prob have noticed a drop in MPG in recent weeks as the temps fall.

What speeds to you do motorway driving wise?

I have a 59 plate XTR and my average is currently 43.6 having dropped over the last weeks from 44.1. I do however do long trips, France,Italy,Austria etc and I have seen high 47's and 48's on those trips. I only do 65-68 on motorway drives on cruise. I have found my max economy is at 65-68 with the Revs just below 2000rpm. My Instant mpg then shows consistently 45mpg or over. I check tyre pressures regular and I use the torque of the engine, very rare I go above 2500rpm before changing gear.

I have just filled up following a 435 mile return trip to Worcester over the weekend. Average mpg 42. Set cruise at 70 mph whenever possible with the odd burst to overtake those doing 69 mph.

57 reg 2.2 XTR with 52,000 miles. BG244 every 10,000.

• Like 1

As above it depends on the kind of running you're doing, our 61 plate XTR has 15k miles on now and until the recent cold snap was showing a pretty consistant 44 to 45 mpg doing fairly mixed running, that's now dropped by a couple of mpg with the cold weather. How many miles has your Rav done ? Having had three Rav D4D's and an LC D4D from new I have found that as the mileage increases so does the fuel economy, this current Rav hovered around the 40-41 mpg mark during the first couple of thousand miles of it's life.

Dom, you drive like I do...... :driving:

Sounds good to me :rolleyes: I'm sure other owners will be along shortly..............Kev?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Bettrer not to include me and my auto box yet, Kingo min......have only just done second brim test and due to many and varied folk having a wee try at ma new moatir, and some folks over using the Lindop Chip Fun, only got 32mpg......and very cauld up here recently does not help.

Big Kev

07 Plate here, using Shell vPower, until recently getting an OBC of around 45MPG . . . and 52MPG on a long motorway run. . . . Last couple of fill ups only getting 38-40MPG . . . which as others have said is probably due to cold, although mine could be due to one other factor.

Must admit to thinking about changing to el cheapo supermarket fuel for a few fill ups as I am sure that would cause the P0400 code that I and the dealers are waiting for again. Must check the oil level again, dealer reckons because I don't thrash it then there will be little oil usage even with the other indicators that are cropping up. Toyota UK are making sure the dealers tick the boxes, and provide evidence now before authorising a replacement.

Well compared to some of you ours is pretty poor. 2010 2.2 and now we average 35 in this weather with winter tyres.

My last brim to brim gave about 41 mpg. The one before was 42.5 mpg. The next will be less due to the cold and me lazily leaving it running on the drive for 5 min most morning's to defrost and warm the seat! The trip computer has already dropped from 41.5 to 40.3 so will probably struggle o get 40 on the next brim.

Mine is a 62 plate with less than 2000 miles so still some running in to do.

My auto is doing just over 28. It still has only 350 miles and very short trips in the cold so I expect it.

Tony - your EGR is playing up.

Tony - your EGR is playing up.

Thanks Don, I know it's the EGR, as does the dealer, it first showed up when the Injectors went out of spec, and despite the new injectors they couldn't get it running right . . .opened the EGR and found the 'Black Sludge Of Death' . . . Did the oil consumption test but no oil used . . . Apparently I drive it very gently :D . . . Had the P0400 code a month ago . . . took it to the dealer, but unfortunately the mechanic cleared the code and the freeze frame data after cleaning the EGR again. The service manager has apologised and said that they know this is going to be a replacement engine, but without evidence of excessive oil consumption or related ECU data Toyota UK will not sanction the work . . . They will replace the engine provided the evidence is there, and documented, So I've just got to wait for it to happen again. . . .in the meantime I'm keeping a close eye on the oil level JIC

My last mpg calculation was 29.6.....but tis cold, on winter tyres, don't get much chance to use 6th gear. Short jouneys in the main.

replacement engine done approx 7161 miles.....not sure if thats classed as been run in yet.

I can only dream of +35mpg.

My last mpg calculation was 29.6.....but tis cold, on winter tyres, don't get much chance to use 6th gear. Short jouneys in the main.

replacement engine done approx 7161 miles.....not sure if thats classed as been run in yet.

I can only dream of +35mpg.

With you on that one, Lee.....38mpg out of my SR180......CRUISING ALONG at 84mph.....then ah heard that shout....."Oi....fat guy.....your breakfast is getting cold.....".......'twas all a wee dream.......

Big Kev

I now know I can get 37 average on motorways and over the hills. 2012 auto - not bad I think. It will hopefully be better in the warm weather and when it has loosened off.

Thought I'd check my EGR valve see if needed a clean, and hopefully if so improve my MPG. Seemed fairly dirty....but still room to breath.

egr_valve1.jpg

thehole.jpg

Not the easiest of cleaning jobs, the black gunk really clings on, and cleaning the egr..hard to get to anything really.

All i seemed to able to do was spray lots of carberetter spray, seemed to make a few popping sounds and loos of black liquid came out. Not totally soot free afterwards.

For next time does anyone actually take apart the EGR itself by undoing the hex bolts.

Anyway I'll be interested to see if any improvement on MPG.

This was the best i could clean it:-

theholeafterbeingsorting.jpg

egr_after.jpg

If they are really bad I take the bolts out. Scribe a match mark on the two halves then take it off. When you seperate the actuator, there is a keyhole hook that holds them together and I have knocked out that core plug from the end of the body. When you put it back, pop the aluminium to help hold it back.

You could try an ultrasonic bath to clean it.

If they are really bad I take the bolts out. Scribe a match mark on the two halves then take it off. When you seperate the actuator, there is a keyhole hook that holds them together and I have knocked out that core plug from the end of the body. When you put it back, pop the aluminium to help hold it back.

Thankyou, now i know that i will seperate it next time and take a further look.

Sounds expensive and time consuming...not a home diy jobby i presume

To soak something the size of that EGR valve you would just need a small Ultrasonic bath, the type you may use for jewellery and the like. About 30 pounds I think? Ihave one I bought on eBay for cleaning airbrush components earlier this year and it Definately works well for that. I would think a soak in a slow degreaser would also work well?

To soak something the size of that EGR valve you would just need a small Ultrasonic bath, the type you may use for jewellery and the like. About 30 pounds I think? Ihave one I bought on eBay for cleaning airbrush components earlier this year and it Definately works well for that. I would think a soak in a slow degreaser would also work well?

Hmmm, will have to have a read up on the ultrasonic bath, never heard of them before...something new learnt!!

Bought my 2011 XTR D4D in April this year and have yet to get over 35 mpg at any time since.

Day to day driving sees 32 at best and the 35 mentioned was on a trip to Motorcycle Live a couple of weeks ago. Filled the tank up, reset the trip / mpg displays, set cruise at 70 mph and still only got 35 mpg. I've tried ignoring the computer and did a brim to brim and the figures were the same!

I check tyres pressures regularly, I drive conservatively and still I've yet to exceed 35 mpg and with the cold weather setting in, it's only going to get worse!

How Toyota can claim 47 mpg combined in their brochures is beyond me!

Bought my 2011 XTR D4D in April this year and have yet to get over 35 mpg at any time since.

Day to day driving sees 32 at best and the 35 mentioned was on a trip to Motorcycle Live a couple of weeks ago. Filled the tank up, reset the trip / mpg displays, set cruise at 70 mph and still only got 35 mpg. I've tried ignoring the computer and did a brim to brim and the figures were the same!

I check tyres pressures regularly, I drive conservatively and still I've yet to exceed 35 mpg and with the cold weather setting in, it's only going to get worse!

It is virtually impossible to achieve any of the official EU mpg figures because they are established in the lab with no reference whatsoever to real-world driving. Their only use is as comparatives between one car & another.

If you want realistic mpg data on specific cars, go to Honest John's web-site where they are compiling a database of real mpg's supplied by the public.

If it's any consolation, our 02-reg vvt-i auto seldom betters 25 mpg & ususally hovers around 21 but we put up with it because it is in every other respect a brilliant car and other costs have been non-existent or minimal.

These figures do seem low, as you have probably read, I achieve constant 42 plus mpg and I'm not on my own, I did a run to Liverpool airport and back yesterday, ninety six miles round trip and got 44mpg in freezing weather with some motorway stop start traffic due to congestion. I'm sure this doesn't help your cause at all ! Wish I had a suggestion........