Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2.2 D-4D Xtr -Mpg?

brakenut

For the last 500 miles our 2.2 XT-R has settled down at 35 mpg, short journeys with the winter tyres on.

Had some fun on a black iced road the other day. The computer was working overtime keeping the 4 WD and ESP going. Entertaining.

How Toyota can claim 47 mpg combined in their brochures is beyond me!

There appears to be a very wide margin between quoted and actual in the case of the 2.2 diesel. I strongly suspect that the CAT has an impact on these figures. In parking a sooty engine behind the Diesel Particulate Filter my guess is that the fifth injector is working overtime, dragging the economy southward. I have little evidence to support this, but our T180 hovered around 30mpg most of the time, only ever getting towards 35mpg when faced with DPF cleaner (or similar).

Thanks for the al the responses, I'm more reassured that it's not just my RAV4.

I enjoy driving it and the last couple of days of icy roads around the Sheffield hills have reaffirmed it was a wise choice of motor after my 320D BMW. Slightest hint of cold weather, it was too scared to move off the drive.

Have a great Xmas and thanks.

My wife left our house at 05.30 this morning and drove down to Reading in freezing fog. She has informed me that she got 43 mpg so I guess that's good!

I hear all the time customers telling me they drive like little Miss daisy. One mans Miss daisy is anothers Lewis Hamilton, and I kid you not

Not to go into too much detail but a long time ago I had a customer burn two clutches out. I went for a road test with him and it nearly put me in a wooden box. :eek: He mounted a kerb, nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike, drove in front of someone on a roundabout and had to reverse back, when he reversed, the car behind had to reverse to get out of his way. he then caught up with the bunch of cyclists and cut them up yet again. All this at XYZ speed and on a short 2 mile road test. The bloke was a complete loon and wondered why he burnt clutches out. I'm not saying all people drive like that but there is a huge difference in peoples driving style and also the type of driving they do. I can do 56MPG in the Auris Hybrid in summer, I'm still getting 55 in Winter. Some people drive steady but do not anticipate the road ahead and brake hard instead of backing off the throttle earlier, those things make a difference to overall MPG

Kingo :thumbsup;

Kingo :thumbsup:

I hear all the time customers telling me they drive like little Miss daisy. One mans Miss daisy is anothers Lewis Hamilton, and I kid you not

Not to go into too much detail but a long time ago I had a customer burn two clutches out. I went for a road test with him and it nearly put me in a wooden box. :eek: He mounted a kerb, nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike, drove in front of someone on a roundabout and had to reverse back, when he reversed, the car behind had to reverse to get out of his way. he then caught up with the bunch of cyclists and cut them up yet again. All this at XYZ speed and on a short 2 mile road test. The bloke was a complete loon and wondered why he burnt clutches out. I'm not saying all people drive like that but there is a huge difference in peoples driving style and also the type of driving they do. I can do 56MPG in the Auris Hybrid in summer, I'm still getting 55 in Winter. Some people drive steady but do not anticipate the road ahead and brake hard instead of backing off the throttle earlier, those things make a difference to overall MPG

Kingo :thumbsup;

Kingo :thumbsup:

I would say i do not drive like miss daisy, however whenever i take the company car and have passengers i always get told 'put your foot down we'd like to arrive some time soon or your driving like Miss daisy. The cheek of it!!

However when I try to acertain the best mpg my rav will achieve i will drive like miss daisy.

Got to say though after an egr cleaning things may be looking up, suprised though as it didn't look that blocked. colder weather and the mpg average display is actually up.

Didn't spot this post yesterday, yes, the car has done just over 15k

My wife showing off! Taken on her way back today from Reading, average speed she said was 65/70 mph plus slow traffic as usual on the M25

post-127602-0-75255800-1355414183_thumb.

50 plus in the summer. Down to about 47 in the winter.

Just checked the dash reading - 52.7 mpg. 360 miles on the odometer and quarter of a tank left. We do short to medium journeys. Car has done 47,000 miles.

Appreciate it depends on driving style, tyre pressures, type of journey,regular servicing etc but 35 mpg sounds way too low for this diesel engine.

I normally get 40-42 mpg but the last tank (with frosty 5am starts) dropped down to 36 (lowest this year)

To be getting 35 in summer, if driven nicely, sounds a bit low. If I drove for a bit more fun (instead of driving deliberately with mpg in mind) I'm sure I'd only get mid thirties too!

Dave

Just found that if I change to semi-auto and use the paddle shifts I can force an up change much earlier than the auto would. Experiments continue.

50 plus in the summer. Down to about 47 in the winter.

Just checked the dash reading - 52.7 mpg. 360 miles on the odometer and quarter of a tank left. We do short to medium journeys. Car has done 47,000 miles.

Appreciate it depends on driving style, tyre pressures, type of journey,regular servicing etc but 35 mpg sounds way too low for this diesel engine.

Is that 50+ calculated or just going off the screen? My 2006 2.2 used to regularly say 48-50 mpg, even once got to 56 mpg on a long run but when calculated, only really was doing 45 mpg! Usually when it said 44-46 on everyday commutes it was only doing 39-40 mpg.

My new 2012 2.2 is tracking at 41 mpg on screen and this ties in almost exactly with calculations, although it has dropped rapidly, inline with the outdoor temperature!

If you truly are getting 50 mpg out of the 2.2 then I would welcome some tips on driving style. The old 136 bhp 2.2 only books 50 mpg as the max extra urban and I have never managed anywhere near the quoted figure in any car i've owned!

Maybe I have a lead foot?!?

At "50+" I think he's stripped the seats out?!

Dave

So that makes one of us who has heard of subtlety!!! :bangin:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links