Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Fuel Consumption

mystic

Hey.

My MPG is usually around 28-31 been that way throughout summer and winter, i have not changed my driving style or car usage, nothing has changed yet im struggling to even hit the low 20's my clock is currently at 21.1, that's with extra effort in economical driving too. I know it been cold but i don't let the car run idle i expect a little more fuel usage but not 10mpg especially since it didn't happen before.

Any ideas whay may cause excess fuel consumption?

Cheers guys

Hey.

My MPG is usually around 28-31 been that way throughout summer and winter, i have not changed my driving style or car usage, nothing has changed yet im struggling to even hit the low 20's my clock is currently at 21.1, that's with extra effort in economical driving too. I know it been cold but i don't let the car run idle i expect a little more fuel usage but not 10mpg especially since it didn't happen before.

Any ideas whay may cause excess fuel consumption?

Cheers guys

Always gets affected by colder weather in winter. Our 02-reg 5-dr auto vvti VX will get up to 25 mpg in warmer seasosn but is currently showing 23 mpg on OBC (which is very accurate on this car).

Our 3-dr 54-reg auto vvti normally gets 33 - 35 mpg. Currently doing high 32's.

Sounds as if you have a vvti going by the previous fuel consumption figures. Try cleaning the MAF sensor located at the back of the airbox near the bulkhead. If it gets dirty it can cause excessive fuel consumption.

I'm pretty certain that there is a link on the forum on how to do this.

All of the above plus check the air filter is clean.

agree with above posters +

- keep tyre pressure as required

I know it's stating the obvious, but you have done a brim to brim check to confirm the consumption, and not just relied on the computer.

Thanks for replies. I will have a go at the MAF sensor. The air filter is almost new and the tyres are all at 29PSI. Yes flyboyprowler, i generally go by miles to a tenne, i usually get a good 50 until i refuel but im below empty on the early 30's now. Something doesnt seem right and im not convinced its just the cold weather.

I did a 'weight test' just to see what difference it would make so with a empty tank i fuelled it up, took out everything in the car including both back seats and the spare tyre in an attempt to see how much weight effects fuel and it turns out i got another 2MPG. So weight isnt a huge issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links