Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres : A Mild Apology

Big Kev

To folks like Marsky, Charlie, Blue Vortex, Anchorman, a totally unreserved definite maybe youz were right after all.....I am first to admit I did Pooh-Pooh them slightly, having been on the road for 25 years without these "luxury items".

Travelled on Sunday to deepest, and I mean deepest, Fifeshire to collect 4 Goodyear Ultragrip Winter Tyres reputedly with only 4k miles on them and had them fitted to wife's 3 door yesterday. They have a full 8 to 8.5mm left on them and had been stored well.

Had them fitted by local indie yesterday and wife drove back at peak traffic time only to observe that they made her feel "like she was driving a tractor with really tall wide wheels".....they are actually 65 profile, and she first got the car with 55's....could she be that observant ? Naw.....and are actually 225 having originally been 235 wide.

So Big Kev took it oot for a spin last night....3-4 degrees, freezing rain, ground starting to freeze slightly. I will not let myself be dragged into what I am famed for....knee ***** reactions, but these things are bloody marvellous. Went round UNPOPULATED roundabouts as if the ground was dry. The now hardening Bridgestone Turanzas (4-5 years old with tons of tread left) I had taken off would NOT have allowed such daft behaviour.

Due to the really low mileage she does in the wee beastie, it is my intent to trial them as "everyday tyres" instead of just winters.....is there anything wrong in so doing folks....?

Will report back after the weather that is being forecast comes to fruition, but let it be known that Davrav is a drunk.....or soon will be when he gets my thanks for the nod these were on eBay.....were fitted to a Rav last year at £688.00 (Receipted)......I paid £255.00.

Treading Warily Kev.... :thumbsup:

Good result :)

Don't know the answer ref using all year round, but I have ordered a set of Winter Tyres for the Swift yesterday which may or may not get used as all-year ones like your RAV4.2

For low-mileage/short journey drivers it may well make sense to keep them on much longer then other drivers as you get the benefit when road temp is 8deg or lower and that is pretty well most of the year I reckon up here

With what looks like an very cold winter on the cards, looking at fitting winter tyres to the Mobile Workshop and will also have a set of lovely looking 16" Ford Focus alloys in Anthracite & wrapped with Michelin Alpin Winter Tyres by the end of the week if anyone has a Focus in need ;)

Brrrrrrr

Told ya :clap:

It makes a world of difference

There is nothing wrong in leaving them on Kev, they still grip in over 7 degree temperatures BUT you need to consider the wear aspect. Winter tyres are worn out with 3-4mm left on them, so the longevity is compromised by leaving them on all year round

Kingo :thumbsup:

My winters are getting fitted as we speak and i cannot wait. Now where is all this snow we've been promised???

I'm very impressed with the Conti Winter Contacts I had fitted recently, we have a rather wild, 200bhp Skoda VRS Diesel in the family (Sons car) and having put a set of winter tyres on that for him the advantages of the winter compound really makes a massive difference. Cannot recommend winter tyres strongly enough !

Only a mild apology Kev ? :nono:

There is nothing wrong in leaving them on Kev, they still grip in over 7 degree temperatures BUT you need to consider the wear aspect. Winter tyres are worn out with 3-4mm left on them, so the longevity is compromised by leaving them on all year round

Only left you aff the apology Kingerz coz you would OBVIOUSLY SAY THEY ARE GOOD....YOU'VE GOTTA MAKE A LIVING and buy a razor asap.....oany kiddin'....advice apprecified on longevity of keeping them on, but sorely tempted as she, the good lady, will only do about 5k PA....? She had a fair bit of driving to do today (20 miles or so) and has remarked "they feel good...".....reminded me of our honeymoon....

Big Kev

reminded me of our honeymoon....

You can remember that far back?................incoming...................:D:

:D

Glad you posted this up Kev as i have been trying to get Mrs P to invest in some but she's not convinced.

What sort of mileage can you expect if they are left on all year round John,even if we have an hot summer??

Only left you aff the apology Kingerz coz you would OBVIOUSLY SAY THEY ARE GOOD....YOU'VE GOTTA MAKE A LIVING and buy a razor asap.....oany kiddin'....advice apprecified on longevity of keeping them on, but sorely tempted as she, the good lady, will only do about 5k PA....? She had a fair bit of driving to do today (20 miles or so) and has remarked "they feel good...".....reminded me of our honeymoon....

Big Kev

I didn't know they had honeymoons in Neolithic times.....................

:D

Glad you posted this up Kev as i have been trying to get Mrs P to invest in some but she's not convinced.

What sort of mileage can you expect if they are left on all year round John,even if we have an hot summer??

The wear rate is similar, but they are goosed with 3-4 mm left on them, so by definition, they dont last as long. That is one reason you see a lot of second hand ones for sale from Europe with 3-4 mm left on them, they just don't work as well at that depth

Big Kev

I didn't know they had honeymoons in Neolithic times.....................

Aye....the days we all sat round a candle.....when it got as cauld as this, we lit it......

Paulus......give Mrs. P. ma number.....I will soon convict her......

Big Kev

With a low mileage leaving them on all year makes sense with a mileage of 5K for the following reasons.

Standard recommendation is to change tyres after 5 years regardless of wear level due to the compounds hardening with age. Even with the increased wear rate it is unlikely you would reach the wear limit.

There is a small loss in tyre performance (grip) at high summer temps. In normal road driving it is highly unlikely to make any noticeable difference using a premium brand cold weather tyre, I would suggest you would find a greater loss in tyre performance if you changed your standard premium brand summer tyres for a budget brand summer tyre.

The noticeable penalty is slightly worse fuel consumption which would almost certainly be more than cancelled out by saving on buying two sets of tyres.

Best of luck just hope you don't need to test them in extreme conditions, us southern softies don't like the cold!

With a low mileage leaving them on all year makes sense with a mileage of 5K for the following reasons.

Standard recommendation is to change tyres after 5 years regardless of wear level due to the compounds hardening with age. Even with the increased wear rate it is unlikely you would reach the wear limit.

There is a small loss in tyre performance (grip) at high summer temps. In normal road driving it is highly unlikely to make any noticeable difference using a premium brand cold weather tyre, I would suggest you would find a greater loss in tyre performance if you changed your standard premium brand summer tyres for a budget brand summer tyre.

The noticeable penalty is slightly worse fuel consumption which would almost certainly be more than cancelled out by saving on buying two sets of tyres.

Best of luck just hope you don't need to test them in extreme conditions, us southern softies don't like the cold!

Thanks John and makes total sense as you have just described the Turanza tyres which have been removed....they feel very hard compound-wise, and really felt quite light on the already over powered steering. The pitch of the road noise has changed quite markedly to become a lower rumble, which I will monitor in normal road conditions, next July more than likely....!!!

Big Kev.....forecast very low temperatures and bliddy snaw !!!

What about an all-season tyre like goodyear vector 4seasons? (Not name dropping, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head :lol:)

Here you go BK:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/scotland

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/uk

Snow forecast late Thursday and early Friday. Although it's snowing where I am just now in Lanarkshire.

Depending on the compound, you may find your winter tyres feeling really soft in summer, and very bouncy and wallowy.

Michelin Alpins were great in winter and had a really soft compound. In warmer temperatures, hard or emergency braking would cause the ABS to kick-in loads, as the softer compound felt as if it was "rolling under itself".

ContiCrossContact Winters were a harder compound, but were designed to also run them through summer if you wanted.

Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes - proper winter tyre, but I know loads of folk run them all year round without a problem. And claim to get 30-40k miles out of them.

As Parts-King says, the limit on running winter tyres in winter is 3-4mm, so if you can save the tread by swapping come spring, then all the better.

You may also need to notify your insurer that you are running winter tyres (most insurers accept it at no additional cost). And notify them when you change. If you are running winter tyres in summer and have an accident, I'm not sure where that would leave you with your insurer. Worth asking though - I know Privilege were only concerned that I wasn't using the chunkier winter tyres to go off-roading, and they never even mentioned winter or summer use.

Here you go BK:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/scotland

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/uk

Snow forecast late Thursday and early Friday. Although it's snowing where I am just now in Lanarkshire.

Depending on the compound, you may find your winter tyres feeling really soft in summer, and very bouncy and wallowy.

Michelin Alpins were great in winter and had a really soft compound. In warmer temperatures, hard or emergency braking would cause the ABS to kick-in loads, as the softer compound felt as if it was "rolling under itself".

ContiCrossContact Winters were a harder compound, but were designed to also run them through summer if you wanted.

Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes - proper winter tyre, but I know loads of folk run them all year round without a problem. And claim to get 30-40k miles out of them.

As Parts-King says, the limit on running winter tyres in winter is 3-4mm, so if you can save the tread by swapping come spring, then all the better.

You may also need to notify your insurer that you are running winter tyres (most insurers accept it at no additional cost). And notify them when you change. If you are running winter tyres in summer and have an accident, I'm not sure where that would leave you with your insurer. Worth asking though - I know Privilege were only concerned that I wasn't using the chunkier winter tyres to go off-roading, and they never even mentioned winter or summer use.

:thumbsup: min

I'm sticking with me standard for Geolanders. Not let me down yet :-)

I'm sticking with me standard for Geolanders. Not let me down yet :-)

i still have it as spare -- new one since car manufacturing :)

I just want to chip in that I spent hours and hours researching or educating myself if you like on the summer / winter tyre choice for my 4.3 and all the permutations / cost ,annual milage , noise ,weather in my region( west yorks ) reviews, etc and decided on vredestien quatrack suv . An all season tyre which cost 150 x4 fitted from an online mobile fitter which was excellent by the way . So far I have only covered 800 miles and the noticeable differences from the duellers I removed which had 2-3 mil left on was how much grip which is what you would expect yeah but it took a little getting used to because it was such a huge difference when turning. The other was they are not as quiet as I was hoping but still an improvement , the other thing is I cannot wait for a blanket of snow seriously iam like a kid waiting for Christmas Day to come because I am expecting these tyres to be the dogs chocolates , so when it snows I will post my thoughts , n yes I will try to keep it a little more brief

WElcome to the club. Ramble as much as you like - we do!!!

Oi Oi Oi...........I'm the Rambler around ere....... :laughing:

Oi Oi Oi...........I'm the Rambler around ere....... :laughing:

If I could add a random ramble..any idea why I have 0 warning points under the number of posts? Seems rather random and I can't see it on any else's !

David

Its under mine as well David so i presume you can only see it when logged in,i can't see it on yours or anyone elses.

Not sure what its for though unless its to warn other members of someone been naughty :nono::naughty: