Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Miles On Tyres?

jamesw

Morning all - I have now got to around 33000 miles on the tyres on my Auris Hybrid is this any good also looking to replace with these Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta as I had a similar set on my Golf are these the right type of tyre for the Hybrid as I have read things on here about rolling resistance and so on making a difference. PS I would love to press enter and seperate out some of these sentences but I am new to Windows 8 and the enter button is not working on here! :disgust::flowers:

Hi, When I sold my Gen 3 Prius I had 40,000 miles on the tyres and the lowest was 3mm front nearside the others were 4mm the tyres were Michelin Primacy Hp's.

With regards to changing your brand of tyre becareful!! As posted on this forum the wrong tyre can make a big difference to the MPG, even using another low resistance tyres.

Other Auris owners may be able to advise you further.

Steve

Tyre life depends on the style of driving, town cars getting lower life simply because of more stop/starts and more turns.

The Sessanta looks like quite a relatively 'old' tyre with major reviews from 2007-2010 in the german magazines.

The wet/dry braking doesn't appear to be too good at first glance.

http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk/vredestein-tyres/ultrac-sessanta-tyre/test-review-9543

I use Michelin energy savers on our Prius and Yaris. They last a long time and reduce fuel consumption as well as doing all the other things a tyre does.

If your Auris came with low rolling resistance (aka energy saver, fuel saver, eco, etc.) tyres then switching to a non LRR tyre will cause your mpgs to drop noticeably.

This cold weather will make mpg dive through the floor anyway so could disguise any drop due to new tyres.

This cold weather will make mpg dive through the floor anyway so could disguise any drop due to new tyres.

More likely add to the drop in mpg. :newyear:

FWIW there are things you can do to minimise the drop in mpg due to the cold weather.

Last winter I managed to average 57mpg and currently, with temps around zero, I am still in the 50s.

Hi Alan, care to expand on the 'things'? please.

With my Gen 3 and now my Lexus CT200 I've partially blocked off the air flow through the front grills (only about 50%). Found lots of advice on this on the US Prius forum elswhere - details about what to block and how much, etc.

It did work last winter and kept my mpg aroung 57 during cold whether.. not got enough data on CT200 yet still too new.

Steve

Grill blocking, turn down the cabin temperature a degree, block heater are the popular ones.

Grill blocking on a Prius is really easy and effective. I use a couple of lengths of pipe insulation. Check up on Prius chat to see which bits of the grill to block (it varies between different models). If you have a scangauge, you can aim for maximum blocking and use the scangauge to monitor engine temps. Overheating is not a good idea! If no scangauge, follow the recommendations on prius chat. Gen3 data here...

http://priuschat.com/threads/2010-prius-grill-blocking-strategy.62556/

To heat the cabin up, the Prius has to burn fuel. Turning down the thermostat means less fuel is used. Turning on ECO mode also helps save fuel in start-stop traffic in the cold.

In really cold areas, a block heater can be used to pre-warm the engine. There is place on the gen3 for a block heater but one isn't installed as standard (I haven't done this - it isn't cold enough here!). Info on prius chat (as ever!)...

https://shop.priuschat.com/product_info.php?products_id=93

Edit:

Hard core tips here

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560

85000 on my gen 3 from new. Still on the same rears! Hoping to get to 90k. I am on my second set of fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW there are things you can do to minimise the drop in mpg due to the cold weather.

Last winter I managed to average 57mpg and currently, with temps around zero, I am still in the 50s.

I'm new to the Prius so would appreciate if you are able to expand on this...