• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• Paulus17

• GreyRacer

• silly sausage

Where is the BMW unit.

But wait!! It's a marketing ploy by Toyota, sell this lot at top dollar as the 4.4.5 will be released in mid year 2014 with the new engines and a better price

The contract with BMW to supply their diesel engines to Toyota doesn't start until 2014. http://blog.toyota.c...ver-better-cars

That's why the new Auris and RAV4 do not have BMW diesels. BMW haven't given them any yet!

Sorry to spoil your conspiracy theory...

Just in time for a facelifted 4.4 then Duncs :thumbsup:

This will be called "Rav 4 Soccer".....the 4.4.2......ah know.....mince.....

Great. Now all they need to do is replace that little can of goo with a spare wheel and they'll be onto a winner...

I take it by leather trim on the Invincible that they mean "Full" leather ? Sunroof is an option which pleases me greatly... Discounts will be on the cards in no time at all and not long after the dust has settled after the launch I bet....... Bring it on .....................

I am disappointed I do a low annual mileage with lot of short journeys and very occasional difficult towing.

Because of slow warm up and particulate filter issues of a diesel I would usually head for a manual petrol.

Instead there is one Petrol option with a CVT auto transmission ?

I am not sure I would like to tow with a complex CVT auto outside the warranty period !!

Exactly my thoughts. You can only get one level of trim with the petrol and why would anyone buy a 4x4 without any kind of spare tyre?

Who would buy a 4X4 without a spare wheel ?? Well quite a few of us have done just that ?

I think it will be an easy conversion to fit the spare wheel box and kit from the markets that have them as standard and would imagine that if pushed the UK Dealers will do this.. If asked often enough maybe Toyota will eventually make it a standard fit or at least an option for the UK ?

....... If asked often enough maybe Toyota will eventually make it a standard fit or at least an option for the UK ?

The conversation would be:

Customer: I want a spare wheel for my RAV

Toyota: no demand for spare wheels now, as we have to keep telling everyone who asks for one.

Yup - it should be possible, but have to watch out the space is not filled with some other stuff (for example, on the Qashqai, they removed the spare from the wheel well and filled it up with a sub-woofer).

Good thinking from Nissan ! Incredible sound quality while you sit abandoned in the middle of nowhere waiting for the roadside assistance...

I suppose they leave out the spare wheel to improve the mpg and CO2.

I will certainly never buy a vehicle without a spare wheel.

Shame they don't read this forum.

I suppose they leave out the spare wheel to improve the mpg and CO2.

I will certainly never buy a vehicle without a spare wheel.

Shame they don't read this forum.

The 2.2 version is way into the heavy tax bands especially the automatic ones so leaving out a spare wheel would have little effect ??

They could at least offer a spare on the options list which would have no bearing on deciding the tax banding for the car as that is done on the car as supplied standard..

Only real reason for not supplying with a spare is cost !

I came across this today, it's a left hand drive car but it shows some good detail, particularly around the dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxi05KEysHQ

Thanks for this, Paul.

The interior looks interesting & I rather like the two-tone dash treatment. The overall exterior design however is too reminiscent of the Verso - it certainly doesn't look anything like a butch SUV. The side window treatment is too busy; the four-pane glass makes it look like they started on one design & then decided to do something else. It ain't neat especially that little window pane forward of the C-pillar which just looks wrong.

The RAV's turned into just another cross-over, I'm afraid. Unless it has some charisma when seen in the metal or has really compelling driving dynamics, I'm afraid there won't be a 4.4 on my drive. Sad really.

I think it looks better in the flesh, Ive not driven one and of course that is the acid test

631780498_o.jpg631780475_o.jpg631780454_o.jpg631780526_o.jpg

Here is another vid showing more detail.

I like it,but as said proof is in the drive.

Dash looks like a van, and now basically looks like any other car. Definately not on my shopping list, sorry mr T.

Keith

Here is another vid showing more detail.

I like it,but as said proof is in the drive.

Quite a bit more detail there, Paul, thanks. But it actually doesn't make me warm to it, rather just the opposite. From the grille to the A-pillar it looks like a Sportage whilst the rear three-quarter view is Hyundai Santa Fe. I realise that cars are generic to some extent but I think that Toyota has missed an opportunity to make a step-change in the sector, instead they seem to have produced a "me, too" product. The only place where they seem to have injected a bit of flair is with the interior, especially the dash, which reminds me in many ways of the dash in the 4.2.

It definitely convinces me that a test drive of the new CR-V might be a wise move. A pity because I really rate Toyota's customer service & I'd prefer to stay with them.

To be honest Jim they all look the same to me and i have trouble identifying whats what when i'm oot and aboot :dontgetit:

Mrs P likes the look of it also,and the two tone interior but is not so keen with it been lower,which i hope isn't too much lower??

Thanks for the links Guys !!

Its clear Toyota have gone slightly lower and seemingly wider ? Or maybe its the way its filmed ??

There are those of us who do the miles and additional car like attributes will make a better car.. It does look a bit feminine though ? Oh Errrrr..

Liking the interior a lot but would avoid the tan colours.. Additional leather on the dash for me adds a look of quality..

I agree its the drive that will tip the balance one way or tother.......... Just cant see 5Ks worth more than a runout SR though...

On the whole so far it gets the thumbs up from me.....

Charlie Farlie wrote-

It does look a bit feminine though ? Oh Errrrr..

I did mean to say in my last post Charlie do you think they are targeting more female drivers as there do seem to be a lot of women driving the Rav??

My understanding is the new model is lower overall but the ground clearance is slighty higher. I looked at a new Auris on Sunday and the interior was very nice indeed with the leather dash trim etc.

Charlie Farlie wrote-

It does look a bit feminine though ? Oh Errrrr..

I did mean to say in my last post Charlie do you think they are targeting more female drivers as there do seem to be a lot of women driving the Rav??

Not sure Paul... Maybe its the car like drive or feel that will win it over ?

What I meant by feminine is that most of the utility vehicle looks have gone. The chunkiness that many prefer and the look of indistructability...

Its IMHO a trade off that some will like and some dont.. I really think the drive will have to be good for the car to succeed. It seems the 4WD version will have the old 2.2 lump albeit with a few improvements so no big gains in MPG I think.. To be honest I cant imagine ever buying a 2WD version as all the versatility and gains in bad weather ect are not there...

Denshaw.. I would happily trade the extra ride clearance for additional driver ride height.. But only for the reason I like sitting just that bit higher than say a Mondeo or whatever..

I think we are looking at a svelt smooth soft roader ...

Toyota customer service wins every time, Rav 4.4 for me next.

I have noticed in the 4x4 magazines the RAV4 doesn't seem to figure any longer and maybe been that case quite soon after the 4.3 was released and at least for the last 3 years I reckon.

At one time there was a head-to-head/multi-car review involving the RAV4 in maybe 2 or 3 issues each year and always would feature in the "Best of the year" review of current 4x4s. The latest incarnations of its competitors like the Sportage, the Hyundai, etc still feature but Toyota is no where to be seen :(

Maybe the RAV4.4 reflects that apparent perception that the RAV4 is now just some kind of MPV with AWD and not a 'proper' 4x4 (but the alternatives still are?!)

I have noticed in the 4x4 magazines the RAV4 doesn't seem to figure any longer and maybe been that case quite soon after the 4.3 was released and at least for the last 3 years I reckon.

At one time there was a head-to-head/multi-car review involving the RAV4 in maybe 2 or 3 issues each year and always would feature in the "Best of the year" review of current 4x4s. The latest incarnations of its competitors like the Sportage, the Hyundai, etc still feature but Toyota is no where to be seen :(

Maybe the RAV4.4 reflects that apparent perception that the RAV4 is now just some kind of MPV with AWD and not a 'proper' 4x4 (but the alternatives still are?!)

There have been several cases with respect to 4X4 Magazine itself where certain manufacturers have refused to supply cars for their annual Best 4x4 feature, BMW comes to mind. I reckon TGB declined to supply a RAV this year due to the imminent release of the 4.4 which of course meant that the 4.3 wouldn't be available for the public to buy even if it had scored well, therefore a bit pointless including it.

In any event 4X4 Mag may as well simply amalgamate with its sister publication Land Rover World since anything with the dreaded green oval gets priority treatment in the mag. It's interesting that one of the judges of this year's Best 4x4 is the chief instructor at Land Rover Experience - no surprise then that the Evoque won the title. With that level of journalistic objectivity it's not surprising that some manufacturers don't see any point in getting involved.

David I have never viewed the Rav as a real hard 4X4 but more of a chunky looking decent sized estate car with the capability to cope with bad weather on the odd occasion we get it and duties like towing caravans of sometimes wet sites or the reason I originally bought the Rav for dragging the jet ski up wet slippery slipways which it did with ease,,,

Hardcore 4X4s I see as defenders and the real big stuff that is not really designed for long motorway hauls ??

Maybe more folk want estate cars with capability rather the wanna be 4X4s ..........................

Jim, not aware of that. I wonder if this has changed in this way over the last say 6-7 years as I *used* to buy and enjoy that magazine but over time found less and less of interest in it and was getting repetitive.

Charlie, a fair sum up and pretty well why I like the RAV4. I do lke the high up seating and now also spend a lot of time in a Renault Master which is not far off an HGV in seat height position and is actually enjoyable to drive for that reason :)

Ref bad weather, the older 4.2 was amazing in the last 2 bad winters for me. Think I will find out what the 4.3 is like this time round!