Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E12 Rear Disc Removal, Arghhhhh!

Brandane

I have a 2006 E12. Still on original brake pads and discs after 55k miles, but recently noticed they are binding slightly. So today decided to do some investigation. Looks like the discs and pads are shot; so time to remove the old ones. Starting with the rear, to get the hard work out of the way first! Anyway, the disc is stuck, so I take Mr Haynes advice and (after loosening off handbrake) try to push it off the hub using 2 threaded bolts in the holes supplied for that purpose. It comes part way off and 2 pins fall out of the housing (not sure what they are). Now it will not come off any further, and seems to want to take the handbrake shoes and all it's bits with it. So I admit defeat and try to put it back together. Now the disc is not turning at all! It is completely stuck, so I cannot move the car. Anyone any idea how to get the disc off now?

Edit: Wish I had found THIS post before I started! I will try again another day when it's dry, but it still doesn't explain how to remove an apparently seized unit?

HI

i'm sorry to hear about your problem Brandane.

Thought i'd stop and put in my 2 pence worth lol, not that i'm that technically minded...but i managed to replace all 4 discs and pads on my 2006 E12 Rolla only a few months back...and i do remember having some difficulty removing the rear disc on my drivers side mainly....and i remember slackening that roundy spinning wheel behind that small rubber bung...basically its the handbrake adjuster i think you call it...if you adjust it right down...then try knocking the back of the disc slightly it should come away...if your saying that the handbrake shoes are still sticking to it...it sounds like you might have adjusted the handbrake adjuster/tensioner back up again...and the fact that you say the disc wont turn now might mean that you defo need to slacken that handbrake adjuster...as for the pins that fell out...hmmmm...i do remember seeing something but for the hell of me...can only think its something to do with the shoes themselves...so sorry mate i can't input anymore...but i'm sure someone more experienced will come along shortly....goodluck!

:flowers:

Had the same problem when i did mine on my old one :)

Sams right, slacken your adjuster using a flat headed screw driver by flicking the wheel in the right direction (see your guide). Then plastic hammer or hammer and block of wood on the back of the disc to knock it off.

Yes dont remember any pins being in there, just springs, metal plates and the shoes.. oddness.

Thanks for your replies, Sam and Fox. Looking at the Haynes manual, it would seem that the 2 pins which fell out of the partially removed drum are the locating pins which hold a securing clip, which in turn holds the handbrake shoes in place. So I dread to think what mess of springs and clips I am going to find - WHEN I get that disc off!

Hi,

Had the same problem on my old Avensis, its the pins and spring clips that secure the shoes to the backplate that break.

There are Rear Drum Hardware Kits for around £10 the contain all you need, though you might have to shop around, cannot remember where I got mine, could have been Halfords but certainly a local motor shop / factor.

Expect Mr.T will do a simliar set or the individual parts.

post-95973-0-61466900-1354794546_thumb.j

Hi,

Had the same problem on my old Avensis, its the pins and spring clips that secure the shoes to the backplate that break.

There are Rear Drum Hardware Kits for around £10 the contain all you need, though you might have to shop around, cannot remember where I got mine, could have been halfords but certainly a local motor shop / factor.

Expect Mr.T will do a simliar set or the individual parts.

Thanks for that, oldcodger. Probably should get one of those kits before I go any further. Been on a train and bus expedition to Euro Car Parts today to buy new pads and discs for all 4 wheels. I can confirm that they are VERY heavy, and that plastic bags with heavy items in them have a tendency to want to cut your fingers off!!

Hi,

Ah, I did look at ECP site and they do list a hardware kit, but no picture, so cannot be sure thats is the springs and clips kit without speaking to them.

You do know they offer a doorstep delivery service from the main site ?

PS - have you got some rubber safe grease ( aka red grease or similar ) ? The brake caliper slider pins can corrode and so no slide easily - a couple of mine were semi siezed / rusted but cleaned up ok.

You do know they offer a doorstep delivery service from the main site ?

PS - have you got some rubber safe grease ( aka red grease or similar ) ? The brake caliper slider pins can corrode and so no slide easily - a couple of mine were semi siezed / rusted but cleaned up ok.

Their website has been down since yesterday, typical sods' law! Spoke to them about it and they know there is a problem. Otherwise I would have got them delivered. I have red grease for the sliders. One of them on the caliper I took off was partially seized and needed some loosening up. Just hoping that none of the pistons are seized....

Well it's all done .... almost. The other 3 axles were quite easy. Front ones are a dawdle. I had to use some degree of brute force to get the rear offside disc off, and in the process broke the brake shoe clips and clip retainers. Have managed to do a bodge with cable ties until I get replacement parts, but at least it is now driveable.

Well it's all done .... almost. The other 3 axles were quite easy. Front ones are a dawdle. I had to use some degree of brute force to get the rear offside disc off, and in the process broke the brake shoe clips and clip retainers. Have managed to do a bodge with cable ties until I get replacement parts, but at least it is now driveable.

WELL DONE Brandane :clap:, your experience went exactly like mine "The other 3 axles were quite easy. Front ones are a dawdle. I had to use some degree of brute force to get the rear offside disc off" LOL there's always one that just delays the hell out of you, hence same with headlight bulbs lol!

Hope you find the kit that you need to fix the broken bits, not to keen on the cable ties though, hope it will be okay as a very temporary fix!!! :oops:

Sammy :fox:

not to keen on the cable ties though, hope it will be okay as a very temporary fix!!! :oops:

Sammy :fox:

Should be ok, I think. The cable ties are only holding the handbrake shoes in position and not actually taking any of the braking forces of the car. It will do until I get the proper parts. I don't have to use the car much these days anyway.