Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper Blades

My windscreen is a mess. Basically, there are wiper marks all over it. I gave the screen a good cleaning before treating the glass to two coats of Rain-X (as recommended by someone on here, was it Dan? Two applications with the second a half hour later) as I did last winter. It worked great then, and I don't see why it should be the cause of this problem.

There does not seem to be anything wrong with the wipers, but my instinct is to change them -for new ones obviously. Should I go for the orginal fit from Mr. T., or those new fangled flat blade type jobbies? Any other recommendations without swear words or suggesting something goes somewhere the sun don't shine.

Ta.

BTW: Expense is a concern, but not so much to affect my vision out the car. I also need to replace the rear screen wiper as that is making a noise, again, it looks and feels fine. Also, I always clean the blades when I clean the car and check for grit and hard as nails bugs.

I fitted a set of PIAA silicone wipers just under a year ago;They're brilliant :D

They clear water better than any wiper I've ever had, and after a little while of use will coat the screen with a thin layer of silicone which repels the water like RainX.

Super quiet even with light drizzle - Doesn't make any of those horrible screeching noises that normal wipers make when rain is light.

Main downside is cost - It's about £20 for a wiper+arm which are stocked by most places, but you can get just the blade for £9 from here:

http://www.tdcautomotive.com/PIAA-SILICONE-WIPER-BLADE-INSERT-SINGLE-REFILL_AOVF1.aspx

I'm still keeping an eye out for cheaper places, but I had a hard enough time finding places that sold just the refills!

I used PIAA silicone wipers on my Range Rover and they were brilliant as said above. Didn't know you could get just the refills but will definitely search a set out next spring for my little iQ. :)

Craig.

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the PIAA web site... man, they're expensive blades. Still, ya gets what ya pays for innit! I can appreciate the wipers that don't make a noise. That rubbing sound as they judder across the screen, it's like someone scraping fingernails over a blackboard.

I have ordered some of those PIAA blades, I had been thinking of replacing mine as well. Mine are wiping ok but seem to leave a criss-cross of lines that do eventually disappear.

The complete Wiper Blades on IQ do not have to replaced when the rubber has worn out, Toyota sell new rubber inserts to refill the original blades for a few pounds each give your local dealer a call ask the for new wiper inserts 85214-53080 for RH 85214-30400 for LH & even 85214-12310 for Rear they will even fit them for free too.

Devon

The complete wiper blades on IQ do not have to replaced when the rubber has worn out, Toyota sell new rubber inserts to refill the original blades for a few pounds each give your local dealer a call ask the for new wiper inserts 85214-53080 for RH 85214-30400 for LH & even 85214-12310 for Rear they will even fit them for free too.

Devon

Thanks for that Devon. I'm over that way -my local dealer- this weekend so will pop in and see if they have any. In fact, I think I'll call them first and get a price too. Cheers dude.

BobH

I have used Rain-X before but not for many years due to smearing of the screen. Before fitting new wipers as per Devon's post I would completely remove it using a strong polish or IPA on the windscreen if you have some, but I warn you now it's a PITA (pain in the bum) to remove and may take a couple of attempts.

If I have to I use the Mer version of Rain-X as it's not as bad at killing Wiper Blades but still does a good job. I now use cQuartz which is a fair bit more in the ££'s side but I've had a signle coat on for almost 8 months now and its still working well. The only downside with this stuff is that it needs to be applied properly, which is best during the summer months.

Fish

Right then. I also have another problem with tiny pitting on the screen. Had this with other cars too, mostly seen on screen this time of year due to low sun trying to burn your eyes out.

So, after cleaning as suggested above by Dan, a glass polish will be used. Something like Nanolex or Raceglaze. Polished Bliss sells Flexipads Rayon Glass Polishing Discs too.

http://www.nanolex.de/en/home

This link pretty much covers it- http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/glass-cleaners-and-sealants.html

polishedbliss.co.uk

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/

I've not used the Raceglaze products but they do get some decent reviews. The Nanolex I've used is the 'Urban' as the sealant after the cleaning stage, but as I've said it needs to be applied in a warm dry environment with circa 12 hours after application to go off.

Bob, drop me a PM with your address and I'll get something in the post for you to try.

Fish

I have ordered some of those PIAA blades, I had been thinking of replacing mine as well. Mine are wiping ok but seem to leave a criss-cross of lines that do eventually disappear.

Just a word of warning, the blades arrived yesterday and the refills do not fit the iQ carriers, you need the PIAA carriers as well. I didn't realise that, I may have missed the point somewhere :ermm: I have contacted the to see if I can either buy just the carriers or exchange the blades for the full set.