Do Not Sell My Personal Information

62 Plate Aygo Icing Up On Inside!

Danyl

Hi, I have a 2 month old aygo and basically as the cold weather has come in it has started freezing up on the inside as well as the outside! I was just wondering if this is a common in Aygos?

I need to take it back to the dealer for some other things like extremely bad rattling that I need sorting out but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this?

I have to say only one car ive had which was a 2001 polo iced up about once on the inside when it was extremely cold but my aygo does it every time theres ice. So has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

I haven't had that problem...do you have air con? I have my ventillation on fresh air and air con on all the time. I know if I didn't I would have a lot of condensation inside the car.

David

Icing-up's been a common feature on all the cars I've had.

It seems to be due to the hot-air which remains within the heater matrix causing condensation on the windscreen when the car cools. The only way I've found around this is to switch to cold before stopping, and leaving the heat on cool while parked.

I never seem to get any of these issues, 90% of the time i drive around with the heat in the middle of the red and blue.. and with the lever over to the right (air from the outside to come in)

I never have to use aircon to demist my windows. even on cold mornings, just turn the blower up to 3 and set it to hot..

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/r66stu/aygo

Hi thanks for your replies, it was so bad this morning its horrible to scrap it as it goes everywhere and then gets stuff wet :/ ive never had a car so bad! ive started taking pictures. ive just uploaded two pictures this is how bad it was this morning the engine had been running for a while as I had deiced all the outside of the car :/

post-125878-0-12352200-1355324840_thumb.

post-125878-0-90327400-1355324873_thumb.

I suspect you may have an ingress of water in the car. Have you checked for damp carpets, boot area etc? It could be that you have a water leak into the car and the moisture is condensing when you get out and the car cools down

Kingo :thumbsup:

Or are you just using recirc too much - it's tempting when it's cold, but means you will accumulate a lot of moisture in the car.

Or are you just using recirc too much - it's tempting when it's cold, but means you will accumulate a lot of moisture in the car.

hi, no I always have it on air coming in from outside as otherwise will steam up when driving, thank you anyway
I suspect you may have an ingress of water in the car. Have you checked for damp carpets, boot area etc? It could be that you have a water leak into the car and the moisture is condensing when you get out and the car cools downKingo :thumbsup:
Hii thank you for the reply, that is a good point I have not currently checked for that, I know the common area is the boot etc but like if it was coming in from there would the front windscreen still be the only window icing up? But thanks I will check tomorrow :)

On the basis that the heater would be directed to the screen in cold weather, it could just be the moisture is drawn to the warm screen where it condenses and freezes. Having the air recirculating is to be avoided too, unless you are using the A/C

I would be checking under the carpets inside the car to see if there is any excess moisture under there, I have seen some Aygo's flooded under the carpet

Kingo :thumbsup:

My brother inlaw lives in Canada where of course the temps are very low in winter -40 sometimes.

funny thing is the screens dont freeze on the outside even in these temps.

But it takes a few miles before the flat part of a tyre when it been standing returns to a fully round tyre. most cars out there have a plug and lead hanging out of the grill so they can be plug in at home or work to heat the coolant up.

Often wonder what effect low temps have on cambelts, should have thought they become brittle.

My brother inlaw lives in Canada where of course the temps are very low in winter -40 sometimes.

funny thing is the screens dont freeze on the outside even in these temps.

Once the temperature gets well below freezing and stays there most of the moisture has dropped out of the air, so frost isn't a big issue. When we get a long cold spell (like a couple of years back when it was about -10 for a week or more) you probably found less ice on the car than now.

It's also why it often feels colder in the UK at 0 than in, say, Canada or Switzerland at -15; it's the dampness.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Possibly a little late, but hopefully of use..

We have a 56 plate Aygo which started having a boot water problem 2 years ago.. After a lot of work, and the dealer not wanting to help (but helpfully filling the boot with water) issue was traced to the seal for the high level stop light.

Solution- get a cheap tube of clear silicon and make a new seal on top and glue it back on- problem solved. I did the same with the light clusters.. some cases you may want to put the silicon on the light cluster inside and let it dry before refitting.. Either way you have options, and a lot cheaper too!

Snow on the carpets from people's shoes will causing inside icing of the windscreen the next morning, mine was like that yesterday. I dry the mats out on a radiator to avoid it, when I remember.

Water leaks will do it of course, copied this off another post:

• Rear panel vents - water into boot & rear footwells
  • 3rd brake light - water into boot
  • Antenna base - water in interior light causes rust stains
  • Tailgate stoppers - water into boot & rear footwells
  • Door membranes - water into footwells
  • Door seals - water into footwells
  • Speaker membranes - water into footwells
  • Door gutters - - water into footwells

My 60 plate Aygo recently had the water leaks fixed under warranty - new door seals and upper brake light seal. Car was in the garage for 3 days. I'm not 100% convinced all the leaks have stopped so keep checking. The snow on shoes problem isn't helping my leak detective work though!

I had this problem too. Ball ache - I resolved mine by putting bags of silica between the window and the dash.

• 4 weeks later...

have a 10 month old toyota aygo - it has been in for repair 3 times in 3 weeks. Filling up with water after it has rained. Advice would be very much appreciated

have a 10 month old toyota aygo - it has been in for repair 3 times in 3 weeks. Filling up with water after it has rained. Advice would be very much appreciated

There are umpteen number of threads on this in Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 forums from all around the world. If only you used the google search, you would be wiser in no time.

Loads of leak information in "Leaks Database" on page 2 of this Aygo forum.