Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Exhaust I Need Some Advice

Fat angin missile

Just had a free inspection at toyota dealers in Wakefield after my 55 plate vvti 4.3 had its recall for the bolt torque issue and I asked about an exhaust issue blowing from small hole in the middle box , I wanted a price to replace it but was told its tricky separating the sections and was likely that I would need a full section at a cost of £1,500 and change Omfg . He told me there are two cats on the exhaust the usual and one in the middle box that's why it's so expensive ! On the flip side When I had my wheels aligned at an indi garage three weeks previous they told me my exhaust could be welded/braised ? If I new a welder which I don't or they could replace it for about £90 +vat , Now these are two extremes that are suspect in my opinion but what do I know so please help me guys n gals

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fat angin missile

• Paulus17

• Parts-King

• igormus

yes it is true a mid section has both maffler and cat converter. recently I ve been also informed to have an issue with burning out. The metal thickness is so thin to weld or soldering. I ve purchased new middle section and just wait whenmine original will die to change. There are two special gasket packing (cone shapped) between two ends.

Thanks igormus

In a way I'm glad I'm not being shafted by my dealer but the price WOW ! I simply can't afford it, did you buy original or

Spurious ?where from How much etc ? any info would be greatly appreciated

i ve spent time a lot to find an alternative but did not want to risc with emissions etc and purchaced an original via other spares supplier at the price twice less (!). yes it is costly . this will not help you cos i amout of the UK and our prices are differ sometimes. sorry matey

Thanks ingormus

I have until the end of jan for mot to find an affordable alternative ,but at the same time I know sometimes you gotta bite the bullet

Can't wait to tell the missus Xmas ,birthdays ,food ,clothing ,gas and electric will have to go on hold for 12 month ! GULP.

Can you maybe not get an exhaust bandage to wrap round the hole if the only issue is that hole? Maybe just a temporary solution but see you through past Jan?

.....but won't pass an MOT.....?

That is a serious amount of money for an exhaust that like tyres and Battery is only going to last so many years before needing replacing. I would get a quote from the exhaust fitters like Kwik ***. Keep us informed of how you get on. I am now panicking over my wife's Jan 2007 Rav !!

David

Depends where you go to a degree! Not advocating as a permenant repair but all the time it is preventing a leak, it is doing its job, and if it is stopping a leak at the time the MOT is carried out, it is likely to pass the emmissions test.

I think you can get a bandage/gum that is described as a permanent fix also (Holts one?)

Strewth thats a lot for an exhaust :crazy:

But whats this recall for bolt torque issue??

Does it effect the 4.2 model??

Hi paulus17. The info about torque settings I found on this forum so I called my dealer who confirmed mine needed to be inspected and arranged a time (yesterday) to see it . At the same time he gave the rav a safety inspection all f.o.c. As a result we found that the N/S/R shocker had a slight leak quoted £125.18 fitted , and followed up with my exhaust q/a he did not mention the torque issue but I assume its sorted. So if in doubt give toyota a shout although I don't believe yours needs it but call them for peace of mind they are there to help mate .

Thanks ingormus

I have until the end of jan for mot to find an affordable alternative ,but at the same time I know sometimes you gotta bite the bullet

Can't wait to tell the missus Xmas ,birthdays ,food ,clothing ,gas and electric will have to go on hold for 12 month ! GULP.

yes sometimes we have to postpone other goods purchasing but give a priority to the mean of movement etc

i know what did you mean

Igor

I am going to go to k/ fit and places like that today and get some quotes ,also I intend to keep this car till one of us has flatlined so I might get a price for a stainless , I will update you all later on this , thanks to all for your advice so far.what would we do without forums eh !! As for a temp repair it could be the very last resort but it will make me uneasy would it get me through an mot ?

Hi paulus17. The info about torque settings I found on this forum so I called my dealer who confirmed mine needed to be inspected and arranged a time (yesterday) to see it . At the same time he gave the rav a safety inspection all f.o.c. As a result we found that the N/S/R shocker had a slight leak quoted £125.18 fitted , and followed up with my exhaust q/a he did not mention the torque issue but I assume its sorted. So if in doubt give toyota a shout although I don't believe yours needs it but call them for peace of mind they are there to help mate .

Thanks FAM have you got a link to the post as i can't find anything about it??

Not sure how or where to do you a link novice I am . But you only need to ring servicing at a toyota dealer he will tell you instantly

Cheers FAM.

Keep us up to date with the exhaust situation for future ref :thumbsup:

Does it effect the 4.2 model??

No Paul, it's a recall on 4.3s up to about 2009 I believe.

Thanks David.

I thought if it was it might have been causing the droning noise we have but i'm sure they would have done that if it was??

I am going to go to k/ fit and places like that today and get some quotes ,also I intend to keep this car till one of us has flatlined so I might get a price for a stainless , I will update you all later on this , thanks to all for your advice so far.what would we do without forums eh !! As for a temp repair it could be the very last resort but it will make me uneasy would it get me through an mot ?

Hi FAM,

Had a custom stainless exhaust made for OH's Peugeot at a place on Canal Road in Bradford ( not TOO far from You? ). Price was very good, about half of what Peugeot wanted fro a standard one.

If you are interested, I'll look the place up.

Re the exhaust issue,there may be another option.

I sometimes call in at my local indie for a brew and last time they had,I think,a Corsa on the lift repairing the exhaust.

This was a one piece exhaust and I said does that mean changing all of it and was told no.

They then cut the pipe just after the cat and fitted a back box which had an oversize pipe that slid over the remaining pipe.

It had been made for that purpose as the pipe was shaped.

I realise that the Corsa is seen in greater numbers than the RAV so the suppliers may not supply parts like that for yours but it might be worth checking.

As for the shocker did they only advocate changing the leaking one?

Del

There is no way I would pay that but equally there is no way I would go to kwikfit (they can't even spell let alone mend a car).

Any good factor will supply a rood quality exhaust and any good indi will fit it. Anyone can cut an exhaust off a car and fit new but a decent mechanic will usually manage to salvage any useful parts.

There is no way I would pay that but equally there is no way I would go to kwikfit (they can't even spell let alone mend a car).

Any good factor will supply a rood quality exhaust and any good indi will fit it. Anyone can cut an exhaust off a car and fit new but a decent mechanic will usually manage to salvage any useful parts.

At last he admits it....."salvage any useful parts".....youz all thought ah was kidding too......at least ma bits have gone to good home(s).

Happy Kev

Hi del. I asked the dealer if it should have both rear shocks done at the same time his reply was not these days no need so that was ok with me. So back to the exhaust.I went to 1 indie and 3 franchises quikfit etc Indie 1st. Had it up on the ramp then phoned for a quote told me £641 fitted for back 2 sections 2nd quote k/fit £446 fitted 3rd quote Gordon's tyres £435 fitted but new I had been seeking quotes cos his supplier answered him before he finished his sentence he then told me there might be a problem so before fitting the new one he would have to offer it up to check it matches because of the cat issue whilst doing this the indie rang me to also explain that it might not have a cat in his exhaust therefore he would do the same offer it up . They are obviously using the same supplier because the fourth Dt&t said the same but added on that he may have to get acat from the main dealer so get ready So make what you want of this but I am a tad p--sed off could kingo give me a price for the back two sections plus associated bits n bobs .?