Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Exhaust I Need Some Advice

Fat angin missile

i ve spent time a lot to find an alternative but did not want to risc with emissions etc and purchaced an original via other spares supplier at the price twice less (!). yes it is costly . this will not help you cos i amout of the UK and our prices are differ sometimes. sorry matey

What price was "at the price twice less" please?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fat angin missile

• Paulus17

• Parts-King

• igormus

Hi del. I asked the dealer if it should have both rear shocks done at the same time his reply was not these days no need so that was ok with me. So back to the exhaust.I went to 1 indie and 3 franchises quikfit etc Indie 1st. Had it up on the ramp then phoned for a quote told me £641 fitted for back 2 sections 2nd quote k/fit £446 fitted 3rd quote Gordon's tyres £435 fitted but new I had been seeking quotes cos his supplier answered him before he finished his sentence he then told me there might be a problem so before fitting the new one he would have to offer it up to check it matches because of the cat issue whilst doing this the indie rang me to also explain that it might not have a cat in his exhaust therefore he would do the same offer it up . They are obviously using the same supplier because the fourth Dt&t said the same but added on that he may have to get acat from the main dealer so get ready So make what you want of this but I am a tad p--sed off could kingo give me a price for the back two sections plus associated bits n bobs .?

The prices are much better - though still a lot! I hope you can get a replacement that definitely does have the cat in place. You may need to private message Kingo direct as he may not have seen this post.

Good luck - please keep us informed. Does anyone know if the Gen 3 RAV has the same exhaust set up?

David

Thanks chris and del

I am going to take your advice and have a stainless made and welded on after the cat , I can't possibly be that unlucky that the cat will fail any time soon , its only done 45k In 7yr .Gonna get quotes today for a quiet one I'm not into the noise of the performance ones .

So is that a complete SS exhaust including the cats or will they just be steel still??

What is the life expectancy of a cat with normal driving??

it continues to be as black steel galvanized by AL -- I tried to use a simple magnet to understand it. but it really brights like st/steel

i gonna clean it and have it degreased by Acetone and paint by AL paint (hign temp resist for exhaust manifolds) to extend its lifetime. i think it also must be considered in the UK surrounded by Atl Ocean and seas. what do you thinks Guys ?

Hey up Paul and igor

There is an exhaust engineer in Leeds called tony banks who will fit me a standard st/st midd and back box on after the cat which will stay on but on his web page it advertises he can get hold of cats but I don't want to go down that path . Butt igors idea to. Paint the remaining pipe with anti corrosion product is a must ,not just me but any rav exhaust . don't they say on tv PREVENTION IS CHEAPER THAN THE CURE .but after all this research I am still considering a getting a genuine one , no need to decide just yet still got Xmas to get past .

if you have strict emmission control then it would be better to have an original. i have not seen any ravs with after market mafflers yet, but seen a tail exhaust pipe rusted. once bought my rav i have cleanned all exh pipe by emery paper and re-painted. the results are well vissible. yes i ve spent full day for it but it is worth to do to safe pocket

So can you only get an original/genuine exhaust through Toyota??

Also is it ok to paint the exhaust??

I thought i was told years ago not to paint the exhaust,can't remember why though now??

high temp resist paint is always used on the vessels to paint both boilerss and exhaust manifolds (up to 300 C)

• 2 weeks later...

Update !! Decided on cat back st/steel custom exhaust using t 304 aircraft grade which they cut in and flanged just after the the second cat which is still in good nick, this solution works best for me it's guaranteed for as long as I own the rav and is no louder than an original

But has a faint burble which is just about audible when you lift off the accel pedal ,very pleased with the result and the ravs throttle response is back to what it should be . Worth pointing out that I would have been as happy with oem exhaust but mrT,s 1500 quote was 1/4 of what I paid for the whole car 3 month ago . Total for st/st 360quid even used there courtesy car for the morning , also I used the boy racer forums to asses the feedback on the exhaust company and there reliability beforehand ,this turned out to be a usefull exercise as I learned a lot and trust the company's work . Merry Xmas all ...mick...

So this is just the pipe work you have had done and left your existing cat/s in place,i say cats as you sayflanged just after second cat,is there two then??

I looks as though there is one cat on the manifold down pipes which has the sensor wires attached lambda and or 02 ? Then on the midd section before the muffler is what I was told is also a cat this has no wires or sensors . Now I have hadno concrete evidence of this it seems the cats are shrouded in some secret mystery so to confuse customers and panic them in to buying OEM parts which I interpret as mr T giving its customers a good fisting, my point is why can't they sell a separate back box which is fitted on after the cat ike my stainless .

. Now I have hadno concrete evidence of this it seems the cats are shrouded in some secret mystery so to confuse customers and panic them in to buying OEM parts which I interpret as mr T giving its customers a good fisting, my point is why can't they sell a separate back box which is fitted on after the cat ike my stainless .

We see your type coming so we restrict every possible bit of info..........just to wind you up ;)

As you can see from the picture I posted of the OP exhaust, there is no mystery. It has one CAT AND a seperate back box.........There, that wasnt so difficult was it?

Kingo :thumbsup:

So what is the box with the wires by the manifold that FAM refers to John??

Are you referring to my model or the 4.2 parts king , if I have misunderstood then you have my humble apologies

I was refering to the OP model, a 4.2 petrol

You only have to walk into a parts department to find out how many CATs you have, to my mind we have not signed the official secrets act...........Yet :lol:

So what is the box with the wires by the manifold that FAM refers to John??

I think FAM has a 4.3 On those, the manifold holds the cat, and there is also one in the centre pipe and silencer, a post cat. The tail pipe (with a little sub muffler) is seperate again. The centre pipe with cat however is very expensive, about £829 plus VAT

Kingo

I was referring to my 4.3 to which paulus17 was asking me about . Your answer was I guess aimed at his model but did not shed any light on my ramble. So do I have two cats ? If not what is on the manifold down pipes that looks like a cat with wires hanging out ,just asking mate don't mean any offence to your superior knowledge . Could you post a diagram for my model please to put this to bed once and for all ,thanks

yes your 4.3 has two, one in the manifold and one in the centre pipe. I can't post up any pictures now, ive run out of time, off on holiday :rolleyes:

Have a Great Christmas and :newyear:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Snook back in under the wire............007 like

Front cat, part of the manifold, and centre pipe (includes cat)

633330870_o.jpg

633330861_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just had MOT done and it passed the immissions test like I had hoped (prayed) . So thankfully I went the right way with the stainless

I hope this post will be of use to someone who is looking for cheaper solution to the hefty price of MR Ts replacement .thanks for everybody's

Contributions it's been a less expensive journey and more satisfying to have put some effort into a solution

Shho James,ish there any differenche in the 4.2 exhausht to the 4.3,cheaper would be good.

That was my Sean Connery impression by the way :rolleyes: