Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centre Differential Lock On The 4.3

Kenny H

Hello everybody it's my first post on the brilliant RAV 4 forum.

The question is: Can you alter the 24mph limit on the diff lock on the 4.3?

Reason being, as the photie shows, I live in an area regularly affected with plenty snow and on the old 4.1 putting the diff lock on transformed the braking performance and stability of the car in full snow conditions.

The T180 has utterly disappointed me with all the electronics interfering (I still haven't got round to doing the dance to switch the the DSC off yet) with driving on the white stuff and while it appears that engaging the diff lock seems to give all the benefits of the old beast it seems ridiculous that it switches off at such a low speed.

I've read all the stuff on the run flats and I've now got a spare in the boot and Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres which have transformed the car - although paid through the nose from Mr T.

Any help most appreciated.

Kenny

WElcome to the club Kenny.

No is the short answer but while the axle lock switches off (there is no centre diff' really) the system never stops using the rear axle where it needs it. They are quite competent in the snow normally. Who can find Blue Vortex's snow youtube clip?

Hi Don

Not sure if this is the link?

This can also be done in a U/c as per this week in highland perthshire

Regards David

WElcome to the club Kenny.

No is the short answer but while the axle lock switches off (there is no centre diff' really) the system never stops using the rear axle where it needs it. They are quite competent in the snow normally. Who can find Blue Vortex's snow youtube clip?

That would be this one methinks:

A minute is a long time in RAV land! This is the first half of the video above :thumbsup:

Thanks Anchorman, the 4.1 was more than competent in the snow, it was pretty well unstoppable on the 210 tyres and very stoppable with the centre diff switched on!

The 4.3 on the wider 235's and the DSC is, for me, very intrusive resulting in a lot of understeer when braking even at very low speed. Switching on the 'diff' certainly gives much better braking stability and a lot less ABS intruding.

It's just a shame that electronics appear to make the driving experience a lot more nervous. Once I can be bothered to learn how to switch off the DSC, I'll give it a go and see how it drives then.

Are there any posts on getting rid of the myriad beeps for any and everything?

Kenny

I must be driving mine all wrong - the only beeps I get are if I leave the lights on, I'm reversing or if the temperature drops :unsure:

Must admit though that the BMW 'bong' is a lot less grating. I've got a spare 'bong' sounder and have wondered if I could substitute it.

SHCM?

I prefer a bong to a beep Dave.

Kenny.

You can have some of the parameters changed at a dealer but to be honest you get used to them. The T180 might seem a bit over zealous with the interventions but if you truly get in trouble it has got soma astonishing capabilities. It will indeed beep while the VSC is working but it can do such things as apply one rear brake to pull the car in line.

The wide tyres are a bit counter productive.

I can rig you up with a set of lovely 17 inch rims and snow tyres (never one to miss an opportunity!!!). Seriously, winter tyres would transform it.

WOW ,first time we've seen those videos of the Rav in the snow like that :eek:

Seemed to be going at a fair pace as well??

Just as it seemed the right time to jump onto the forum the world of bongs hits with a vengeance....

Anchorman

The Pirellis are winter tyres and have transformed the car given the very poor performance of the standard Bridgestones but I agree the 235's are probably a tread too wide - ye cannae change the laws of physics.

Update - just got in from a run down to Fort Bill to see friends and 5 miles from home the bongometer went into overdrive - 3 scrolling alerts - engine, VSC and 4x4 with engine icon lit. Car seems to be running fine but would you Adam n Eve it the the diff lock's not working and I couldn't tell if the VSC is working as the roads have thawed - brilliant - anybody got any ideas?

I sense another visit to Mr T......

Kenny

If the system stores any code it will disable the axle lock. You can cancel it with a code reader or by disconnecting the Battery. It would be best to get the codes first.

Charlie. Disable the VSC instructions;

http://www.toyotaown...showtopic=94487

2009 on models have a switch.