Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Mirror Has No Compass

pnj

My new 2012 Rav4 has an automatic mirror with a backup camera display but to my horror it has no compass. Are there any genuine Toyota mirrors that could be used to replace mine, meaning can I get a different mirror that could accomodate the backup camera, be auto dimming and have the compass, that would fit a 2012 Rav 4? Is there an after market mirror that would work, that is good quality? Thanks

Hi and welcome to the club.

Look for a GENTEX mirror - as supplied as original equipment on many marques.

http://www.gentex.com/

http://www.parkingse...enk2-p-245.html

If you're not in a hurry they sometimes come up on e-bay, as do Avensis mirrors which will also fit :thumbsup:

Hi all, I've just purchased the 'GENK5' auto dim rear view mirror with compass from Gentex, I intend to fit this myself to my 54 plate 4.2 XT4 when I get a chance! Apparently I don't need a window mount as this will fit the 'wedge' mount that is there now (OEM)?

There is a great post with pics in the pinned section for fitting a similar mirror to the 4.3! Will the fitting to the 4.2 be pretty much the same? I intend to tap into the blue wire on the sunroof loom (If there is one)

Any advice appreciated

Regards, Steve

PS: I have not received the mirror yet..should come this week (paid £122)

If you're not in a hurry they sometimes come up on e-bay, as do Avensis mirrors which will also fit :thumbsup:

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-ELECTRIC-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-/140843128730?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20cae7979a

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cae7979a

Yes, It looks the same and I've seen them cheaper second hand but I'd rather start of fresh with a new one! I've found in the past with cheaper second hand stuff that it can be a bit of a 'false economy' as they can lead to more trouble than its worth! There are some good bargains to be had though and whoever gets that one off eBay well.. good luck to them!

Steve

My new 2012 Rav4 has an automatic mirror with a backup camera display.....

Hi, if you don't mind me asking which model is it that you have that has the camera display in the mirror?

Is it std. With UK models with camera, I have maybe mistakenly assumed the camera display was through the Headunit.

Aaron

Like this one?

Yes, It looks the same and I've seen them cheaper second hand but I'd rather start of fresh with a new one! I've found in the past with cheaper second hand stuff that it can be a bit of a 'false economy' as they can lead to more trouble than its worth! There are some good bargains to be had though and whoever gets that one off eBay well.. good luck to them!

Steve

Just realised...not sure if that one on eBay has the built in compass? If not they would be the GENK2 or equivalent which has no compass! I wante the compass version which = extra dosh!

Like this one?

Steve

Just realised...not sure if that one on eBay has the built in compass? If not they would be the GENK2 or equivalent which has no compass! I wante the compass version which = extra dosh!

There is no loom/connector shown for the one on e-bay either..............................

Big Kev, do you have one of these fancy camera mirrors in your new Rav?

I'm not seeing any on the Ravs I'm looking at?

Big Kev, do you have one of these fancy camera mirrors in your new Rav?

I'm not seeing any on the Ravs I'm looking at?

No...... mine comes through the Touch 'n' Go screen, but can deffo tell you that en route to Bournemouth we stopped at a Toyota dealer about 3/4 years ago and it was only the SR which had the camera in the mirror. Although the image was somewhat SMALL, it was sharper than I expected.

Big Kev

Errr.. What advantage is there having a compass ?? May sound like a daft question but I really cannot imagine where it would come into play ?? Extreme off road use maybe ?

Errr.. What advantage is there having a compass ?? May sound like a daft question but I really cannot imagine where it would come into play ?? Extreme off road use maybe ?

Seem to remember that Shoguns used to sport an altimeter :wacko:

Let's have a 'Pointless accessory' competition. Big Kev 'll buy the winner a pint ;)

Do they still make them Wayfinder shoes......with the compass in the heel, and wee animal paw prints on the soles.....?

Suppose it would be hazardous driving along removing yer shoe to read a compass......?

Big Kev LOL

My previous Rav had one fitted by me which a mate got for me in That Florida.....I still have the box with USA part number on if that helps and you know somebody who is going to The States....?

Also had buttons to operate power door or gates.

Big Kev

+1 from me.

Sorry to not quite get the point, but to be "horrified" to find your reversing mirror does not have a compass does seem a slightly extreme reaction. I can think of around 100 slightly more useful things I would like in a car before I start pining for a compass in a mirror.

Do they still make them Wayfinder shoes......with the compass in the heel, and wee animal paw prints on the soles.....?

Suppose it would be hazardous driving along removing yer shoe to read a compass......?

Big Kev LOL

I had a pair of those, very useful in deep dark Cheshire :lol: I also used to wear a sheath knife on an "S" belt :eek: You would be arrested by the fashion Police wearing that today

Kingo :thumbsup:

+1 from me.

Sorry to not quite get the point, but to be "horrified" to find your reversing mirror does not have a compass does seem a slightly extreme reaction. I can think of around 100 slightly more useful things I would like in a car before I start pining for a compass in a mirror.

I think he was jesting with the "horror" comment. At least I hope so as I can't see the point of such an accessory either.

. Errr....haven't you heard of 'boys toys'? Yes it is a bit 'gimmicky' but it is nice! Can you honestly say that there is not an extra or factory fitted item on your motor that is not remotely 'gimmicky'? Before you answer remember what people in glass houses shouldn't do!!

. Errr....haven't you heard of 'boys toys'? Yes it is a bit 'gimmicky' but it is nice! Can you honestly say that there is not an extra or factory fitted item on your motor that is not remotely 'gimmicky'? Before you answer remember what people in glass houses shouldn't do!!

Oooooo, there is a challenge. The most pointless or gimmicky thing in my RAV4 .....

Gave it some thought and while there are things I would like, and other things I would like to work better, I can't think of anything actually fitted that is not useful (surprised myself with that!)

Edit: the flappy paddles I don't think I would care if they fell off as they have been used for maybe 10 miles in last 10,000

.....to avoid roof cave-ins, they shouldn't stow thrones.......? Would agree with Hoovie on the "F1" paddle pish as they are only there to divert the draft from the holes Anchorman leaves in the dashboard (not this one....yet) but also the rear view camera.....Nikon it is NOT, and in wet weather and frost, I can only hope the kids across the road are at school when I go oot.

Love Ma Kar Kev, regardlessful.

.....to avoid roof cave-ins, they shouldn't stow thrones.......? Would agree with Hoovie on the "F1" paddle pish as they are only there to divert the draft from the holes Anchorman leaves in the dashboard (not this one....yet) but also the rear view camera.....Nikon it is NOT, and in wet weather and frost, I can only hope the kids across the road are at school when I go oot.

Love Ma Kar Kev, regardlessful.

The most useless bit of kit in the 4.2 is the upper seat belt hangers which seem to foul the belts as they retract and leave the buckle banging about, especially in the back.

Don't get me started on those stupid plastic swinging brackets on the front belts in the 3-dr for which I can see no purpose whatsoever - I can only assume that the company which makes them is owned by Mr. Toyoda's brother-in-law and he got an order simply to shut Mrs. Toyoda up!

I can honestly say that since I first had a 4.3 in September 2006 I have never once used that cabin pollen button on the heater. On the current model, I never turn the headlights on until I am out of the drive as a courtesy to the folk across the street so that and all its gubbins could be binned AFIC. If I said the auto wipers lack refinement it would be an understatement so they could go. I would cheerfully skip that light for checking which trouser you have on the back door.

I can honestly say that since I first had a 4.3 in September 2006 I have never once used that cabin pollen button on the heater. On the current model, I never turn the headlights on until I am out of the drive as a courtesy to the folk across the street so that and all its gubbins could be binned AFIC. If I said the auto wipers lack refinement it would be an understatement so they could go. I would cheerfully skip that light for checking which trouser you have on the back door.

I have to say that I've always thought automatic headlights & rain-sensing wipers were an unnecessary complication, especially when you're driving on a road with lots of urban tunnels & underpasses. The headlights come on & off as you go through the underpass and give people in front the impression that you are flashing them to move over.

I think it's a pretty basic requirement of having a driving licence to know when you need to switch on things like lights & wipers. Having said that, there's a lot of a55hole5 out there who drive around at dusk & early morning without any lights on and usually in dark coloured cars - auto lights were obviously designed for morons like those!