Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems With 2.2 T180

Rob77n

I have a 2007 t180. 50k on the clock. For the past year a number times it turns 3 or 4 times before it finally starts when cold but now it is consuming a lot of fuel. I used to get 42mpg but now I'm driving like a granny and only getting 37mpg. Any help or advice please

Hi Rob - welcome to the club.

I'd be willing to guess that your car is suffering from one of 2 commonly found problems with this engine. It's been well discussed on this forum many times, but for your benefit is likely to be a clogged EGR valve or DPF.

The exhaust gas recirculation valve is known to clog up with soot from the emissions & can easily result in poor running. It's not hard to clean it, but it may re-occur quite regularly if your car is used for regular short runs from cold (including lots of stop/start traffic). You could try some Miller's cleaner/additive or a product called BG244, which many owners recommend on here.

The other possibility is a blocked Diesel Particulate Filter, again a result of not enough heat in the engine on a regular basis. These are very expensive to replace, so try the additive 1st.

Some owners have mentioned that using supermarket fuel doesn't help, as it's often stored in a less stringent manner - meaning the quality at the pump isn't so good. You could try using Shell V-power diesel or even Esso (which I mostly use). This might help keep the system clean in the long run.

Yes, try Miller Oils Diesel Eco Max. It was recommended in Honest John's newspaper column this weekend in the Telegraph.

These are the products I'd now go for from powerenhancers where BG244 can be bought also...

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/430/archoil-ar6400-professional-polyetheramine-concentrate

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/586/archoil-ar6500-professional-dpf---cat-cleaner

Join the club and use code (MPG) on check out and get a big discount. I've just bought both of these products in there 5L cans as I dont think it'll be that price again and it'll last me for years...

hi i have had the same proplem with my 2,2 T180 even after putting forty cleaner x5 in replaced my EGR valve second hand forced re gen i still only get 31 miles i only do short runs i think this is the norm for this car but still a great car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links