Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2L D4D Exhaust Noise

silverhair

Hi Everybody

I have from new a 2008 Avensis 2l d4d Hatch 37000 miles. It has always been serviced by Toyota. It has recently developed an exhaust noise, I don't think its blowing it sounds more like a loose baffle coming from the front end. ANY IDEAS? It is out of warranty but the warranty could be reinstated if this turns out to be an expensive repair. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think this could well be coming from your air filter housing. I know it sounds wierd but if you get a 'broarr' sort of noise at lower revs and when decelerating its worth having a look at the air pipe that goes into your air filter housing. I was convinced my exhaust had gone and only managed to track the fault down via a post of here.

You need to pop the filter out to have a look. If the pipe is lose then the foam rubber sealing washer/material has perished and needs to be replaced. Its a common fault and resolved with a variety of methods. I used silicon sealant (left over from the bathroom). Others have used self tapping screws, bits of rag wedged in, other tapes etc. There's a bunch of posts on here about it but I can't remember the title. Air intake noise might bring it up in a search. Good luck

I think this could well be coming from your air filter housing. I know it sounds wierd but if you get a 'broarr' sort of noise at lower revs and when decelerating its worth having a look at the air pipe that goes into your air filter housing. I was convinced my exhaust had gone and only managed to track the fault down via a post of here.

You need to pop the filter out to have a look. If the pipe is lose then the foam rubber sealing washer/material has perished and needs to be replaced. Its a common fault and resolved with a variety of methods. I used silicon sealant (left over from the bathroom). Others have used self tapping screws, bits of rag wedged in, other tapes etc. There's a bunch of posts on here about it but I can't remember the title. Air intake noise might bring it up in a search. Good luck

Thank you Druid boy for your excellent reply. Like you I was convinced that it was exhaust noise, I even took it to Kwikfit for a free exhaust check and even though they were very good, they did mention air filter housing could be the cause. They never tracked it down and put it down to the car getting older. I fitted one self tapper to the air input and "hey presto" noise gone. Can't thank you enough also thank you to the Club and forum.

Result! That's that sorted then and you are most welcome. Good resource this forum. I've learned loads on here.

• 1 month later...

Just been searching the site for a solution to a weird baffle or loose exhaust noise around 1200 rpm and decelerating , its a weird sound ,..... I have a Verso D4D,...... and it looks very much like the sound that you describe , loose air intake on air box , hope so will have a look when it stops snowing. Great site

• 1 month later...

Thanks Silverhair for posting the question - this is a problem that's been worrying me for a fortnight now on my '08 Avensis. I've been under the bonnet and had the car over the pit with nothing to see.

That's a great reply Druid Boy, I can't wait to get at it in the morning. Many thanks.

you're very welcome. There's a whole bunch of good guys on here - they've taught me loads.

Hi

I'm a new member, so hope I am posting correctly.

I too, over the past couple of weeks have experienced a similar exhaust noise from my verso which is a 2008 2.2 d4d diesel, 30,000 miles, full Toyota SH. I thought my exhaust had just started to blow, the noise happens when I change down a gear say from 3 to 2 but it does not do it every time. I have booked it on the 12th in for the Toyota dealer to check it out. Seeing this post I had a quick look to see if the pipe inside the air filter was loose but was not sure where the air filter is. There is a box to the right of the engine compartment with quite a large hose with a jubilee clip around it and it appears the top of the box has clips around it. Is the the air filter? If so do I just remove the clips and lift off with the hose still attached?

Regards

Cono

good one for me to look out for ta.

the hiaces we ran had a similar problem with the intake to airbox pipe rattling just under the bonnet shut line

Hello Cono 18. Yes that's the air filter but I think you'll find that you might need to take off the hose in order to remove the filter and gain proper access to the pipe. Fixed mine today thanks to Druid Boy - used a strip of adhesive backed foam of the type that they sell as draught excluder to wrap around the pipe after removing the old stuff. It's very similar to what was on there in fact.

Hi Wilkoh

Many thanks. Will look at it on Moday and hope that it is the problem. If it is I will cancel my appointment with Toyota dealer.

Regards

Cono

Hi Wilkoh

Managed to look at it this afternoon. I removed the hose from the filter housing as you suggested (more on this later), inside was the filter which I removed. There was some small bits of leaves and some other detrius at the bottom. Hovered these out. There was some bolts at the bottom of the housing to attach to the bulkhead but no pipe or indeed I could not see where one could go at all. Am I missing something here? What I will say is that when I removed the hose I only had to undo the jubilee clip screw half a turn and it was very loose and immediately dropped to the bottom of the hose, the hose itself has a little lug it slots into on the top of the air filter housing.

I then reassembled the unit, fully tightened the jubilee clip. Gave the car a short run and everything appears to be OK. I'll have to see how it is with a much longer run. So to sum up all I have actually done is to clean out the housing and fully tighten the jubilee clip on the hose. So I am still mystified about where the pipe is. Once again thank you for your help.

Regards Cono

Hi Wilkoh

Managed to look at it this afternoon. I removed the hose from the filter housing as you suggested (more on this later), inside was the filter which I removed. There was some small bits of leaves and some other detrius at the bottom. Hovered these out. There was some bolts at the bottom of the housing to attach to the bulkhead but no pipe or indeed I could not see where one could go at all. Am I missing something here? What I will say is that when I removed the hose I only had to undo the jubilee clip screw half a turn and it was very loose and immediately dropped to the bottom of the hose, the hose itself has a little lug it slots into on the top of the air filter housing.

I then reassembled the unit, fully tightened the jubilee clip. Gave the car a short run and everything appears to be OK. I'll have to see how it is with a much longer run. So to sum up all I have actually done is to clean out the housing and fully tighten the jubilee clip on the hose. So I am still mystified about where the pipe is. Once again thank you for your help.

Regards Cono

Hi Cono 18,

That's good news and I hope that'll do the trick for you. However, should the problem return you will find the plastic pipe entering the filter box at the bottom corner facing the front of the car. In my own case, the three bolts were removed and the box lifted out after carefully separating the tube from the box. This gives full access to the neck of the tube so that the seal can be renewed.

• Like 1

You can see from this picture where the other pipe fits next to where it points to "Air cleaner case" click on the picture to enlarge it.

Pete.

post-74463-0-42771400-1362251926_thumb.j

Hi Wilkoh

Many thanks for the help and advice. Did not realise the 3 bolts had to be removed to get to the pipe (my ignorance). It just proves what a useful forum this is.

Regards Cono

Hi Pete

Many thanks for the attachment showing the exploded diagram and where the pipe actually is. Hope that it was just a loose jubilee clip that caused the problem as it appears ok from the short test run that I did. However, I will know where to go should it recur.

Regards Cono

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just an update. Did a round trip of 250 miles this weekend. So a reasonable test. No problems. Still mystified as all I did was to hover out the air filter housing and tighten the hose jubilee clip

Regards

Cono

• 3 weeks later...

Just had same problem after a service ,got a mechanic to have a look at exhaust that looked fine ,he suspected turbo .

But after reading post i had air filter off wipes silicon round intake pipe with my finger pushing it into very small gap ,let it dry for a hour and the noise as gone chuffin brilliant .

Cant believe such a easy fix can get rid of a horrible noise ,Dont know if i have sealed a air blow back or stopped a rattle but it as worked great.

Got the same problem on Avensis 57 plate 2.2D great advice but which pipe are we talking about and do I have to remove the filter box completely to get at this pipe?Just seen the picture for this is the pipe underneath the filter box?

Hi Frank

Glad what you did worked.

Regards Cono

Hi Ned

See Wilkohs post. You have to remove the filter and the 3 bolts at the bottom of the housing if same as mine, I believe that the air pipe (standing in front of the car) is in the rh corner of the air filter housing, see attachement posted by Pete. I'm sure Pete will be able to verify. Good Luck!

Regards

Cono

No need to remove the whole airbox, just whip the top off, remove the filter and then you have access to the pipe, entering the airbox on the right hand side, viewed from the front. You can remove the airbox if you want to, it may make it easier for some repairs. I just splodged a load of silicon into the joint. Its ugly but it works - a bit like me!

Cheers lads, job for my days off next week I fancy and a trip to B&Q for some sealant

I used a self-tapping screw to hold the pipe and box together firmly - so no more roar!

Many thanks to those who gave advice on this problem.

Had a quick look this morning and there is a fair bit of play where the pip enters the filter box. So ptri did you put the selftapper through the top to stabilize it?

I drilled a small hole for the screw inside the box at the top of the sleeve where the pipe enters. Make sure the hole is big enough so the self-tapper doesn't crack the plastic, but is not loose.

Cheers.