Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2L D4D Exhaust Noise

silverhair

Just like to echo ptri's remarks and give a big thanks to all on here for the advice on fixing that noise/vibration/roar with the air box. One little self tapper and no more buzz/noise/vibration or roar.

If a DIY phobic like myself can do it anyone can, the present Mrs nedofwales suggested I take it to a garage to get it looked at.

Little did she realise what a budding auto mechanic she had under her nose and the £70 I saved will mean an update to my golf clubs :-) (wishful thinking that)

• 1 year later...

I had this same issue been going for ages. Surprised passed mot as was sure exhaust was blowing but still continued till really much worse this last week. Followed steps above on my verso d4d corolla. Unclipped airfilter housing, loosen jubilee clip and slid off air pipe. Lifted out airfilter and bottom right is the inlet pipe. Mine had perished foam sticky stuff around opening. Scraped away with screw driver and replaced with sticky draft excluder I had indoors. Reversed process to replace. Started engine and noise immediately gone. Sounds good again and drives better. Pleased with this thread so shared my experience. Took 5 mins and I am no expert at all. Just have confidence to do it and fixed so easily.........good luck

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Cono 18. Yes that's the air filter but I think you'll find that you might need to take off the hose in order to remove the filter and gain proper access to the pipe. Fixed mine today thanks to Druid Boy - used a strip of adhesive backed foam of the type that they sell as draught excluder to wrap around the pipe after removing the old stuff. It's very similar to what was on there in fact.

I also had the same symtons as described on my 2006 D4d Spirit with 60000 miles on the clock.It prompted me the change the exhaust with a Longlife stainless steel one.The problem still persisted and by chance I read the com!ents on this forum.So went out this morning to check and sure enough the air intake pipe was very slack.Cured with mastic and a self tapper for good measure.Road tested the car and was delighted the problem is cured.A big thanks to all involved in this forum for some most useful information.

Quick update: my noise is back so it seems silicone isn't the best solution. Self tapper next time I think but at least I have a silicone enhanced cylinder head (insert your own mental image here!).

• 2 months later...

I have just joined purely to say thank you to all regarding this post. I had the same roar on my 2009 Avensis and was convinced it was the exhaust but thanks to your comments I have now looked at the air filter box. I am the farthest thing you could possibly find from a mechanic but following the advice here I have just been out unclipped the top of the box (4 clips) removed the air filter (lift out) and located the offending pipe. In my case it was loose at the top only. Wedged in a small piece of material (pipe lagging that I had laying around) and hey presto noise completely cured. As I said I am no mechanic but this was literally a 5 minute job. My thanks to you all.

• Like 1