Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Question.

Jagst

At the place on the windscreen where the passenger wiper reaches its maximum sweep there is an area of opaqueness not visible when not raining . I have tried Glass polish, white spirit, and windolene, but cannot remove this long mark which is about one inch wide and 7 inches long. Wiper Blades are OK. I do not want to use anything abrasive in case I scratch the screen. Anyone got any tips?

At the place on the windscreen where the passenger wiper reaches its maximum sweep there is an area of opaqueness not visible when not raining . I have tried Glass polish, white spirit, and windolene, but cannot remove this long mark which is about one inch wide and 7 inches long. Wiper blades are OK. I do not want to use anything abrasive in case I scratch the screen. Anyone got any tips?

Jewellers' rouge used to be the stuff to take marks, scratches, etc out of glass. You have to be patient as it takes quite a few applications and lots of elbow grease.

At the place on the windscreen where the passenger wiper reaches its maximum sweep there is an area of opaqueness not visible when not raining . I have tried Glass polish, white spirit, and windolene, but cannot remove this long mark which is about one inch wide and 7 inches long. Wiper blades are OK. I do not want to use anything abrasive in case I scratch the screen. Anyone got any tips?

Hi Alex,

if you can only see it when it is raining there is not likely to be much, if any, surface damage to the glass. Jim is spot on about using either jewellers rouge or even fine diamond paste to polish it out but it is a big area and it might just be a question of the right solvent to remove some surface contamination. My most successful general solvent is Panel Cleaner as used by bodyshops for removing polish ( particularly silicone ) from panels before repainting.

I recently had a chip repaired on my windscreen by Autoglass. The guy who did the job was very helpful and we had quiet a chat about the technology(s) that they employ ( the repair was perfect! ). They have all sorts of chemicals and polishes for repairing windscreens and most insurance companies will foot the bill for a repair with no effect on your NCB. In you position I think that I would argue that a mark of this size on the windscreen would mean an MOT(?) failure and ask Autoglass if they can do anything about the mark. I think the chances are that they will just do it without any quibble. HTH

The only real way to remove this is to polish it out with cerium oxide.

This is a polish for glass and will need the polishing will need doing with a rotary polishing machine..

With Ceruim all scratches and minor chips can be removed safely without risking damage to the glass. All it can do is improve it !

I sometimes polish the screens on my cars simply to remove ALL road film and the grime and greases that smear the screens when the wipers are on. I have also polished out deep scratches on the insides of screens where rings have come into contact with the glass when someone has wiped the inside of said screen.

You really can make a jaded old screen come up like brand new in around half an hour...

You will need . A rotary polishing machine. Some Cerium oxide and a drop of water ....

Heavy elbow grease not required..

If Charlie can confirm that a Dual Action polisher on high speed will do same job, and you can get some cerium oxide without illegally growing your own, and you are not scared of Gleswegicans, I have a polishing machine in stock for the use of..... £5.00 donation to H4H not mandatory.......Charlie.....will DA do same job....?

Big Kev

Fraid not Kev.. The rotary produces more heat which breaks down the particles in the CO and allows it to get a bite.. Its unlike polishing paint where the danger is striking through the lacquer.. Only chance of damaging a screen is if you went mad on one of those screens with a heater element in it like some Fords and Jags...

DA wont give enough power to get CO working enough. Sorry ...........

Fraid not Kev.. The rotary produces more heat which breaks down the particles in the CO and allows it to get a bite.. Its unlike polishing paint where the danger is striking through the lacquer.. Only chance of damaging a screen is if you went mad on one of those screens with a heater element in it like some Fords and Jags...

DA wont give enough power to get CO working enough. Sorry ...........

Ach well, Alex......'twas worth a shot.

Big Kev

It is possible to buy a budget rotary like the silverline ones from machine mart for very little money... Plenty good enough for doing screens and stuff like that...

Thank you for the replies and helpful suggestions. Will start at Autoglass and then move onto cerium oxide if no joy.