Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Side Protection Strips

SUBARMAN

Had these on Rex, our silver IQ, and didn't get a parking ding for the two and a half years we had him, and thought the new car looked a bit naked without. But to be a bit different I got my good friend Ron to carbon wrap them before fitting them, just to keep the side of the car shiny.

Well, here they are. Before shots are in my other thread, "Goodbye Rex, hello Spot"

Picture1759Dec12.jpg

Picture176-1.jpg

Picture177-3.jpg

hmmmm without wishing to detract in the pride you have in your new baby - I'm in two minds about this type of "protection". The iQ , and every other car, is very vulnerable to the knob that opens their door and puts a ding in the otherwise pristine door . The strips on your iQ are placed in what you would think are the most vulnerable place, But car doors all open differently and for every car that will align precisely with the strip there are a dozen of others that will miss it completely and hit the door above or below it. Personally I dont like the look of them but each to their own . I think I would rather use Dent Devils to remove any minor defects like I have before (none of which would have been prevented by a strip in that position)

I am in agreement with Nick, however, looking back at Rex, I am half tempted to have it on just for aesthetic reason!

Yes good comments. Positioning as you say is a matter of luck in terms of protection. I have positioned them in accordance with the instructions provided by Mr T.

If I get a ding elsewhere on the door, I can always reposition the protection strip to cover it up, maybe. They come off relatively easily with some heat. :clown:

As you point out, the dent magicians these days are able to work wonders. It's all down to defensive parking as the best means of protection.

when i fitted the strips to my Auris i checked on the Toyota Tec site for instructions

As with most cars the door panel curves outwards so fitted them to the part that is the most 'outwards',this is a higher position than the Toyota suggest.but when checking against other cars in the local supermarket where i fitted the seems the best on average.

Not many door handles are prominent enough to hit a car first.

The main problem will be with rear doors due to shape of causing damage.especialy when kids are getting out of cars.

Cant understand why some side strips are colour coded,these can be marked so easily.

The VW Jetta i had had thick rubber strips which i think are the best.

My garage door once swung up against the Jettas door in a strong wind cos i forgot to secure it,but no marks

were left or damage to the the door panel cos the thick rubber absorbed the blow.

Why is it if you park in a carpark well away from other cars trying to keep yours safe from

inconsiderate car owners,when you get back to the car someone is paked right close up to yours that they must have had difficulty getting out of their car.

The main problem will be with rear doors due to shape of causing especially when kids are getting out of cars.

Bingo. It's always little sh*ts throwing rear doors open and scrambling out of the car rather than CHILD LOCKS being on and parents (in control of their offspring ) letting them out

Bah !

As I said I've had 2 dents removed by the miracle of Dent Devils ( not I hasten to add on the iQ). One was under the wing mirror and the other on rear quarter panel. Both caused by careless door opening. The car in question( a SAAB) had rubber strips all around including the bumpers. Every ding and scrape even those on the bumper missed the rubber strips! - quite some achievement!

I am in agreement with Nick, however, looking back at Rex, I am half tempted to have it on just for aesthetic reason!

Aesthetically there isn't really any other plastic on the car that matches these strips - hence why I think they look odd. Colour coded may just be acceptable - what lucky boys black iQ owners are!

These posts remind me of when i was parked in my local Sainsburys carpark several years ago in the wifes Cortina she had then. I let her get on with the shopping while i had a ciggy standing next to the car.

A car then pulled into the parking space next to the Cortina and the driver got out,then a large female passenger got out throwing her door open so it hit the door strip on the Cortina there was no damage done but i told this women she needed to be more careful when opening a car door,she replied "thats what those things on the door are for" meaning the door strips.i was not too pleased with her reply,as a sorry would have helped. So i informed her that if she had not got such a big fat Ar** the she would not have had opened the door so wide.

The look on her face was a pleasure to behold.

Told the wife all this,she said it was typical of me to say a thing like that,thats true.

But i cannot stand people who have no consideration for other peoples cars.

Well all these tales of dents on the bodywork reminds me of the gob ****es who can't park for toffee, and as my Dad says, if you parked on the moon, some inconsiderate idiot would park next to you and ding a panel somewhere on the car.

Also Subarman, I think the shine on your motor is amazing. Hope it stays that way.

That is the correct place for the chrome "garnish", as Toyota call it.

The side protection moulding is mounted as Subarman has it.

(assuming that is what the picture is about, I can't see anything else controversial but may just be not seeing it)

John

Those look like the chrome garnishes you can get that go down the bottom of the door, not to be confused with the rubber protectors.

You've probably seen mine before, they were already fitted when I bought the car, but to tell the truth I think they look better aesthetically lower down. I'm glad the previous owner put them there.

DSCF2530.jpg

That is the correct place for the chrome "garnish", as Toyota call it.

The side protection moulding is mounted as Subarman has it.

(assuming that is what the picture is about, I can't see anything else controversial but may just be not seeing it)

John

Maybe thats where the confusion lies.

They were definately rubber

I didnt realise the silver were the same.

Hi Soeley

They look great mounted down low on your car, and I have found others on the internet that have the rubber strips fitted down there. There is also a chrome garnish, same size, which in the accessory brochure I have (from Japan) shows the garnish down low on the door where you have it.

Yours makes a nice link to the wheels and the shape of the top of the doors. Excellent!!

I was surprised there would be so much interest. When they were fitted on my previous silver IQ (still in black) there was hardly any comment

Thank you Subarman, in the past I have had some negative comments about them saying they won't do the job they are intended for, that I agree. But I have always said aesthetically the look better low down (to me any way). It is each to their own though, otherwise every iQ would look identical, and that would be boring ;)

I come from a customising background so was immediately struck by how good your IQ looked. Normally the first thing for me on getting a new car is lowered suspension and bigger wheels. We had lowered suspension on our previous IQ but the new one is so good handling-wise that I have refrained this time! I would have changed the wheels on the old one but as they were colour-matched to the car I kept standard. This time I really like the wheel colour with the black so have refrained again!! Oh well...........

Our Impreza....lowered...tints......bigger wheels and brakes....etc ....etc

Picture113a.jpg