Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Oil And Fuel Consumption - New Engine

Duracell

Hi all

I got a replacement engine under warranty nearly 3 months and 3500 miles ago and my last 2 tanks of diesel have returned 440 miles from full until light coming on - I usually get 500 miles and have managed to get close to this even with the new engine which I expect will take time to settle in.

Anyway, oil maintenance warning light came on earlier tonight so topped it up with all I had which was only 500mls and light is still on so I will top up more tomorrow.

Are both of these issues linked or they both simply to be expected of a new engine?

Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Dave

The mpg will go down this time of year due to the cold dence air and the winter fuels that all the major oil companies use with there anti-waxing agents. My mpg is 29 round town! atm... Not that great but not alot I can do apart from using the Archoil 6500/6400 in the fuel. Your new engine will take at least 10k to bed in and then start to slow down on oil usage! But keep a keen eye on it as well as if there is any leaks from the gaskets.

Hello Dave,

how low was the oil level on the actual dipstick and how often have you been checking the oil level during the past 3500 miles. I agree with Taff on the mpg figures dropping this time of year but the oil useage is very worrying if it is actually that low. My advice would be to contact the dealer who fitted the new engine even if it's only to log your complaint at this time.

Pete.

Panic over - I am a tube! The warning light was the service indicator that the dealer forgot to reset so I've just reset it and now no warning light.

As for the mpg thanks for that info. Admittedly it has only dropped by 10-15% but I keep a very close eye on it and drive the same routes, same times of day etc so any unusual drop leads me to ask questions and check a few things. Winter temp and new engine certainly explains this.

Regarding the dipstick, as I've already proved I'm a bit dim I may as well continue the trend - I find it difficult to accurately read the dipstick. I checked twice before topping up. First time it looked halfway between the dots, second time it looked full. I wipe clean before reading in case you are wondering! :-)

assume you checked oil once engine had reached operating temperature and did leave standing for 5 mins before checking oil levels ?

sometimes we forget the obvious lol

Marty

Panic over - I am a tube! The warning light was the service indicator that the dealer forgot to reset so I've just reset it and now no warning light.

As for the mpg thanks for that info. Admittedly it has only dropped by 10-15% but I keep a very close eye on it and drive the same routes, same times of day etc so any unusual drop leads me to ask questions and check a few things. Winter temp and new engine certainly explains this.

Regarding the dipstick, as I've already proved I'm a bit dim I may as well continue the trend - I find it difficult to accurately read the dipstick. I checked twice before topping up. First time it looked halfway between the dots, second time it looked full. I wipe clean before reading in case you are wondering! :-)

What are you like! ..... LOL, I'm glad all turned out ok in the end for you.

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links