Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Alarm Drain Battery?

grahmmie

Hi, I have a 96 Corolla with Toyota Alarm system in it. I think it's model 5000 or something.

I dont have much documentation about the alarm on my car except some sales brocure but as far as im aware it has some kind of Battery backup.

I've been having problems lately with my car Battery going flat if I dont use the car for 3 days. I've tried replacing the car Battery which worked for a couple of months but im back in the same situation. The altinator belt is going round and is tight and in excellent condition.

One thing i was wondering is if the car alarm backup battery is old and possibly dead would the alarm drain power from the normal battery instead?

When my battery goes flat and I turn the ignition key the engine struggles to turn over if at all and then the car alarm goes off and if I keep holding the key in the siren speeds up and goes even more high pitch. When I turn the key off the alarm stops. Maybe it's the main battery draining power from the alarm if it's flat instead. I'm very confused as to what it is. I do have an indash dension hard disk mp3 player which is the only bit of non standard electronics in the car. The rest is original toyota. The dension unit is simply connected using standard ISO connector cable.

If anybody has any idea's or suggestions i'd very much apprecieate it :) I tried posting on the corolla forum but got no responces :crybaby:

it is possible although most alarm systems will only charge the Battery back up when the car is running

ideally take it to a dedicated car electrcian and see what they say

I had a similar problem with my Audi. Every now and then I would try to start the car and the Battery was totally dead (this was after a few hours parked up !) .

After trying in vain to find the power drain I started to experimant with it, pulling fuses to all non essential circuits - C/L , A/C , P/W etc.

Still did it though.

Then I thought of the Alarm, so I didn't set it. 3 years later it still hasn't gone wrong. It sounds like yours is a slow but steady drain on the Battery rather than an intermittent 'rapid drain' though. If this is the case then, as Jaxx said, take it to a dedicated auto electrician. Should be real easy for him to find.

Rich

Cheers for that blokies. Most kind. I shall see what I can do.

Grahmmie.