Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Auris

Toyota_FanBoy

Hi Guys,

Well what a drive the 2012 Auris is so good infact on Wednesday I'll be ordering it and will have for Christmas specs Below:

Auris 1.6 6 speed manual Model: Excel

Park Assist as standard

Comfort Pack as standard

Protection Pack

Paint Protection FOC

Colour Zenith Blue

0% Finance 36 months

Current car value £6,500 :D

Hi Guys,

Well what a drive the 2012 Auris is so good infact on Wednesday I'll be ordering it and will have for Christmas specs Below:

Auris 1.6 6 speed manual Model: Excel

Park Assist as standard

Comfort Pack as standard

Protection Pack

Paint Protection FOC

Colour either Island Blue or Zenith Blue

0% Finance 36 months

Current car value £6,500 :D

Congratulations, what a Christmas present. Excellent spec.car, how did you find the ride quality on the 17" inchers - be interested to compare with 16's? Either of those blues are a good choice IMO.

I only drove an Icon with 16" alloys but saw the Hybrid Excel model so saw what the inside of mine would be kitted out like,even though it was the 16" alloys I test drove with was very nice. :D

Nice! Im thinking of swapping mine as well as i like the new model. Had a test drive with excel hybrid and feels good. The only thing holding it is the prize😅 and which model to get. Either a diesel or petrol coz cant afford hybrid.

are the wheels 225/45 r17s ? if so i would have made sure i tested a car with those wheels on before commiting to buy.

they are the size on my sr and are very firm compared to the 16 inch. potholes are felt a lot more and all my family complained about the hard ride for the first few months after buying.

Toyota must be about the only car manufacturer where the tyre sizes are not disclosed in their bumf, even including their sales brochure. There is not even a mention of wheel width regarding their optional alloy wheel choices. To me this is basic information and very irritating by its absence.

From my experience there are two cars that I am aware of where the ride quality between 16" & 17" rims was very noticeable. They were the current shape Honda Civic and the Skoda Octavia in which case the 16's gave a far better ride comfort-wise. Hopefully that is not the case with the new Auris but of course on a dealer demo test drive the tyre pressures may not be correct so even that element potentially comes into play.

Above ordered and went for Zenith Blue, dealer will let me know on delivery date tomorrow and I'll post it here for informational purposes. smiley4.gif

Got a deal with a new auris sports 1.6 petrol manual today. Was hoping for a hybrid but cant squeeze enough from the dealer and still cant afford the payment. Hope everything goes well with it.

Finally today the dealer got a chassis number and the car will be loaded tonight and will be with dealer tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning, picking up Saturday 2pm. smiley4.gif

Went to my local dealer tonight as they had an introduction to the new Auris on. There was an Island Blue Icon model (2nd up in the range) in the showroom & a 1.6 Sport 5-dr in Vermillion Red for test drives. Have to say I was impressed by the sharper look of the car, especially at the front & rear. Brings the Auris right up to date :)

The interior has a higher quality feel to it, with soft touch controls & a much better finish to the dash & console. The backlighting is a soft blue with all the dials easily seen and read.

Loads of space in the boot, but I can't help thinking they've robbed a little from the rear legroom ? My 3-dr 2008 Auris has more room left behind me for a passenger.

On the road, I could immediately feel that the suspension has been tweaked - definitely stiffer than before, but still comfy. A neat trick that only the Focus used to manage. I'd say it's very close to a 16" wheeled Focus or Golf for comparison. It handled quite tidly and rode the bumps well too. The brakes were very positive & gave me a strong confidence factor - always good.

The steering had a nice weight to it, helped by a nice wheel to hold. Nothing worse than overlight steering with no feel - like quite a few Nissans I know !

The 1.6 engine was quiet & smooth, but like every naturally aspirated motor of that size I've ever driven it needs at least 3k rpm on the dial before you feel any real torque. But after this it pulls rather well, making its 130 bhp quite believable. I liked it, but did miss the easy low-rev pull of the diesel. Having had many petrols before, I'd adjust to this & so would most I think.

The one stand-out feature that I thought was very impressive was the reversing camera fitted high in the centre console. As soon as you engage reverse, on it goes & even at night time it lit up the road nicely. Nice one :thumbsup:

All in all, it's fair to say I was impressed by the new Auris. It didn't blow me away, but it is a nice improvement on the now older model. Let's face it - the GT86 is what you buy if you want fun in the Toyota range :)

Thanks for you assessment of the new Auris, all in all it sounds a very likeable motor and IMO is certainly a lot more photogenic than the original. Take it the Sport model you tried had 17" rims so the ride comfort on 16's should possibly be up a notch or two from that ? - I note the diesel version of the Sport actually comes on 16's. With the current vogue for weight consciousness/ emissions I see they all come with a compressor and gunk. There is no spare wheel (space saver or full size) appearing as an option, surely this must be available ? Over to you Mr Kingo please ??

There is no spare wheel, there is no wheel well, there is no option to put a wheel in because there is nowhere to fit a spare wheel, however, there is a tiny space below the boot trim where you might get a space saver wheel in. There is only a 17" space saver wheel, you would need to get the correct size space saver tyre to go with with it depending on what size wheels you have (16 or 17") The space saver wheels are about £50 plus a space saver tyre. My concern in putting a wheel in there is there is no way of securing it

Kingo :thumbsup:

There is no spare wheel, there is no wheel well, there is no option to put a wheel in because there is nowhere to fit a spare wheel, however, there is a tiny space below the boot trim where you might get a space saver wheel in. There is only a 17" space saver wheel, you would need to get the correct size space saver tyre to go with with it depending on what size wheels you have (16 or 17") The space saver wheels are about £50 plus a space saver tyre. My concern in putting a wheel in there is there is no way of securing it

Please refer to pages 627,628,639 & 640 of the owner's manual.

There is a wheel well in which a circular polystyrene fitment houses the gunk etc. The housing is fixed to the floor by a central fastener which is where a spare wheel would be secured. Going by the owner manual's illustration, a spare wheel kit would require not only the wheel itself but a polystyrene container to the offside for housing the jack plus a tool bag for the wheel wrench, jack handle etc.

No doubt a full sized spare would mean loosing the under deck hidden compartment - which presumably a space saver would retain ?

Time for a rethink?

I didnt refer to the manual, I went and looked at one. There is no way a full sized wheel would fit in the under deck compartment. I will take a look at a couple of other models, the one I looked at had no well as such

I didnt refer to the manual, I went and looked at one. There is no way a full sized wheel would fit in the under deck compartment. I will take a look at a couple of other models, the one I looked at had no well as such

A full size spare should fit (owner's manual page 628) as will a space saver (page 627). They simply replace the standard UK circular polystyrene moulding used to store the gunk etc. That has a central screw though to the floor base and that fixing would be used to secure a spare wheel. In the case of a space saver, it would need an additional tray to store the jack plus a tool bag for the other tools as depicted in the manual page 627.

Right then, Ive had a look at a couple of models

Base model, Icon

Option 1 Has 16" steel wheels. You could fit a 17" space saver in there with the corresponding tyre size to give it the correct rolling radius and change the polystyrene tray. You could keep the lower deck (I think) ive not measured it. Toyota dont make a 16" space saver

Option 2 Put a 16" steel wheel and tyre with polystyrene tray, again ive not measured it but it looks to me like you would have to lose the lower deck as I THINK it would sit too high, again it would need measuring

All other models with 17" wheels. Fit a 17" space saver with the corresponding tyre to give the correct rolling radius and change the polystyrene tray, you would definatly lose the lower tray, an alloy would stand way too high

The bit I am unsure of are the tray prices, they are not listed yet

Steel wheel and space saver wheels about £50 ish, spare bolt about £10 ish, 17" alloys about £280 ish ALL PLUS VAT

Thanks for the review of the new Auris, most constructive.

Shame about the lack of a spare tyre, just gunk and a compressor. Same as the new Honda Civic. One puncture ,one new tyre. Looks like to have a spare will cost £400 plus and you loose boot space.

I have read that on average you get a puncture every 90.000 miles. I must be the unlucky one having two within 10.000 miles, which I had repaired. So it would be worth paying for a spare, the lost space could be compensated for by leaving the wife at home!

Right then, Ive had a look at a couple of models

Base model, Icon

Option 1 Has 16" steel wheels. You could fit a 17" space saver in there with the corresponding tyre size to give it the correct rolling radius and change the polystyrene tray. You could keep the lower deck (I think) ive not measured it. Toyota dont make a 16" space saver

Option 2 Put a 16" steel wheel and tyre with polystyrene tray, again ive not measured it but it looks to me like you would have to lose the lower deck as I THINK it would sit too high, again it would need measuring

All other models with 17" wheels. Fit a 17" space saver with the corresponding tyre to give the correct rolling radius and change the polystyrene tray, you would definatly lose the lower tray, an alloy would stand way too high

The bit I am unsure of are the tray prices, they are not listed yet

Steel wheel and space saver wheels about £50 ish, spare bolt about £10 ish, 17" alloys about £280 ish ALL PLUS VAT

Thanks Kingo, looks like the 17" space saver with appropriate tyre would be the best bet. Do you think this will eventually be offered as a kit or do you think it will be a case of ordering the wheel, the bolt, the jack tray and the tool bag holder ? Strange how it is shown in the owner manual.

Thanks Kingo, looks like the 17" space saver with appropriate tyre would be the best bet. Do you think this will eventually be offered as a kit or do you think it will be a case of ordering the wheel, the bolt, the jack tray and the tool bag holder ? Strange how it is shown in the owner manual.

I never even thought about looking in the manual but yes, it does say for models with and without spare wheels. I doubt it would ever be offered as an accessory pack, but it will be available to buy the individual parts

I personally think a space saver with coresponding tyre is the best bet too, if you do need a spare that is, I personally never give it a second thought but I do understand some people do need to have one, it does'nt bother me not having one

Sorry off the topic @ kingo - are there new accessories available to order for the new auris.

Thanks

Yes there are "limited" accessories at the moment, there will be a lot more next year. Go to www.toyota.co.uk and click on the "owners" then "accessories" tab, you can see what they do on there although some might not be available just yet

We will be offering our usual discounts, dependant on the margin in the part being purchased. This does vary so cannot give an exact discount, PM me for prices / availability

Sorry I have no idea, would need to take one off and see the markings on one, the parts catalogue does not say