Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lights

Truszy

Hey guys I was wondering on wether or not to put the HID xenon kit in my 2007 (57) auris I drive dark roads every morning it's beyond a joke now winter has set in would anyone recommend doing it and are they brighter thanks matt

It would be a good idea putting HID on it. Its much brighter than the standard one. You just make sure your light alignment are right just to make sure u dont dazzle other driver.

I have a HID kit fitted to mine as the standard headlights are pathetic.

Its a very worthwhile modification IMO and cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

Just allow yourself about an hour to fit them (longest part is finding a home for the ballasts) and adjust the headlights to 1 on the electric height control, and you should be fine.

Cheers guys any ideas where's best to get them and what lumen to get

Also remember that you need to change it back for the MOT

make sure to get the 55w as the 35w are worse than the original halogen ones, they are H11 bulb, if you're going to fit them your self (really easy to do so) just buy them from eBay (£20 from china) get 6000k :)

35w are worse than the original halogen ones... (£20 from china) :)

Well, no wonder at all when I look at the price... :D

I understand that changes have been made to MOT regs. 2012 This will require aftermarket HIDS to have washers and levelling devices as would have been fitted to original lights of this type by the vehicle maker. Not required if the car has self levelling suspension.

Would depend if the tester was up to date with the latest requirements!

35w kits are fine if you don't buy the cheapest kit you can find.

Not sure when the MOT rules changed but mine passed in Jan this year without any mention of the HID kit.

I think it is a rumour as nobody ever seems to post proof of these 'new' regulations, but throw them around as if they are common knowledge. There was also a rumour about remaps and tuning boxes being an MOT fail, but I've never heard of anyone failing because of an invisible mod on an ECU (which is not plugged in during an MOT).

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to pass MOT in the UK by offering some reward to the inspector in order for him to let you pass the inspection?

No, you can not bribe an MOT tester, and you shouldn't need to.

If the car isn't safe to be on the road, then you should be made to put it safe and be grateful you were told before it caused an accident.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-information-notice-cars-2010.pdf

No rumour! I found this when I was thinking about fitting them. I assume that it has been implemented but don't know for sure.

According to that pdf, it comes into effect on 1st May 2012, so my last MOT was prior to this amendment.

So the obvious question is.... has anyone with HIDs had an MOT since May this year, and did they pass or fail?

No, you can not bribe an MOT tester, and you shouldn't need to.

If the car isn't safe to be on the road, then you should be made to put it safe and be grateful you were told before it caused an accident.

You are absolutely right my mate. It is better that way in most cases (if there are real faults). But then again, if you remove your mods just before the MOT and put them back on afterwards, sometimes it would be just easier to pay if that was possible :)

How's this for bad luck... Went to my car last night and found that the Off side headlight is not working.

Haven't checked the problem yet, so i'm hoping its just a loose connection, but it's bound to be a blown bulb or ballast!

I also received an email 30 mins later from 'Autobulbs' telling me about their winter offers. Spooky!

Yea that's really weird well if they are as easy as everyone says to fit for the sake of 30 min to take them off and put the originals back on its not to bad

I did take them off and fit the originals in under 10 mins.

Its not a hard job.

The culprit is a blown ballast. Thankfully there is a 2yr warranty on this kit which expires at the end of Jan next year, so I should be able to get it replaced FOC if the eBay seller sticks to his word.

Cant believe i'm back to Halogen's :(

I messaged an eBay seller and asked him what lamps were in the kit and he said 35w were standed ones ?? Is this true

MOT checks the lights are level, white/yellow and of equal intensity, an MOT tester cannot fail a car for having illegal HIDs fitted. They can chat to the Police and have them wait round the corner and pull you as soon as you leave but that isn't good for business, meaning it is unlikely.

If HID's are fitted from an aftermarket source - rather than factory - then you must have automatic light levellers & headlight washers fitted too. If you don't, then they don't comply with the new regulations for road use. That means most of us can't use them.

I've ordered 6000k 55w for both head lights and fog lights, will post post pics when done, they gonna look awesome :)

I found when i had them in the fogs on one of my previous cars that it actually was worse than standard fog lights. This was due to the massive reflection u get from the fog. Best lights to see in fog are standard or yellow.