Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2002 Security Question

snoged

hi

i have a question about the Rav's alarm system.

i live in a very quite and dark cul-de-sac in a quite area of Surrey.

Sunday evening i locked my Rav with the key fob at around 5pm,parked on my drive outside my front room window,my front door security light came on around 10pm and again at around 10.05 (i presumed this would be a fox as usual)

When i went out to the Rav the next morning i found that the passenger door was not closed properly and the contents of both the glove box and center console had been emptied into the passengers footwell.

my question is is it possible to open the doors (without causing any visable damage) and to bypass the alarm ?has anyone any idea how this is possible? nothing was taken and there is no damage that i can see its just a bit worrying that someone has been inside and the alarm was not triggered.(i intend to test the alarm in daylight on the weekend but all appears to work ok )

any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Is it possible you did not lock the car ? Maybe pressed the unlock button by mistake ? Or some one else has a key ?

On the later cars the sequence for locking is

One press for lock

Second press operates the dead locks

Third press deactivates the ultrasonics that detect movement inside the car.. ( For pets)

Without a key or the car being left unlocked I would of thought at least minor damage would have been done ?? Depends how clever the potential car breaker is ?

Is it possible you did not lock the car ? Maybe pressed the unlock button by mistake ? Or some one else has a key ?

On the later cars the sequence for locking is

One press for lock

Second press operates the dead locks

Third press deactivates the ultrasonics that detect movement inside the car.. ( For pets)

Without a key or the car being left unlocked I would of thought at least minor damage would have been done ?? Depends how clever the potential car breaker is ?

Charlie's right. Also, and I mean no offence (I've got an 02-reg as well), why would a car thief who was sophisticated enough to break into the car leaving zero damage bother with a 10 year old SUV parked off the beaten track in leafy Surrey? And then rifle the contents but take nothing? It doesn't compute......

I think Charlie's got a point, you may have inadvertently unlocked the car. Alternatively, is it possible that it didn't lock in the first place, i.e. faulty remote, dead Battery, etc.?

i suggest someone has scanned a signal when you locked the car (being close to you) and after disactivated a lock in the night time.

Its also possible that one of your door lock motors has gone intermittent . For a while It might be worth checking that the doors are actually locked each time you use the fob. I have had this happen on a couple of cars over the years.

Sorry to hear that someone has got into your car!

I have a habit of going round every door and window to make sure that they are all closed when I park the car up and again b4 I lock up the house and go up the wooden hill. I had a car scanned when I lived in Manchester some years ago and they nicked my pride and joy! Worst thing was the Police found the car 500 yards away and returned it with a bu@@ered engine! Wish they just put a match to it!!!

Clutching at straws here but would anyone sleep walking be able to manage to do all this whil'st in that state ??

OK,I know, but it is not as bad as suggesting that a ghost did it :ermm: :ermm: :dontgetit:

Not mad Del

I have a habit of going round every door and window to make sure that they are all closed when I park the car up and again b4 I lock up the house and go up the wooden hill. I had a car scanned when I lived in Manchester some years ago and they nicked my pride and joy! Worst thing was the Police found the car 500 yards away and returned it with a bu@@ered engine! Wish they just put a match to it!!!

Awright Timufy ??? Whats the wooden hill ? Is it a strange welsh custom ?? 500 yards to bugger an engine ?? Even I cant manage that one...

Drop me a text Mate as per usual Ive lost yer number.. Will give you a ring.. Or PM it ??

Don't tell me you have never heard of the saying"up the wooden hill to bedfordshire"

Or am I just showing my age here??

Del

Don't tell me you have never heard of the saying"up the wooden hill to bedfordshire"

Or am I just showing my age here??

Del

Yes and, ummmm, yes.

Here is a wee pobbisility.....if for instance you had left a passenger door open, and pressed the fob to lock, thinking you had locked it you went into house........if I do this on wife's 3 door, a wee warning beeper sounds, but only recently said beeper has become feinter in volume, so nearly never heard it and left car open all night.....

Big Kev

thanks for all the replies (i just thought there might be a "backdoor" to getting past the standard alarm ..... i cant be 100% sure i hit the right button as its so cold here now ,no one else has a key and i take the point about the age/worth of the rav so the scanner idea =prob.not.

ill better put it down to human error(mine) and blame someone (a kid i expect because of the time)from the local travellers camp for the event.

note to self =make sure in future its locked !

thanks again for all your replies :flowers:

Awright Timufy ??? Whats the wooden hill ? Is it a strange welsh custom ?? 500 yards to bugger an engine ?? Even I cant manage that one...

Drop me a text Mate as per usual Ive lost yer number.. Will give you a ring.. Or PM it ??

Eh up my mate :drunk:

In Manchester the lads can bust an engine within 200 yards so these car jackers were amatures! Lol... I'll send you a text tomz pal after work :fireman:

I like the sleepwalking theory if nothing was missing at all.

Then agan, I had a cavalier broken into and the only thing nicked was the radio volume knob (says a lot about the car! )

If a door was not closed properly, I don't think the central locking would enable and you would get an audible long beep to warn you of that? (think Kev already said this :) )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links