Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox

dundela

I have a 2009 2.2d4d avensis T Spirit resently i noticed it is hard at times getting 1st/2nd gear toyota to me the gear box oil needs changed at 40000 service but this hasent helped.Can anyone help

I have a 2009 2.2d4d avensis T Spirit resently i noticed it is hard at times getting 1st/2nd gear toyota to me the gear box oil needs changed at 40000 service but this hasent helped.Can anyone help

Hello mate, I don't think it's correct to change the gearbox oil on your car at 40k service anyway this is a well known problem on some cars and the answer seems to be to change the oil for a single grade 75w fully synthetic oil which I am told that dealers stock. There are of course other things like wear in the gearbox or badly adjusted gear change cables that can cause the fault. It is most likely the grade/type of oil in your gearbox which is causing it which makes this problem more severe in very cold weather like now.

I'm sure a member on here called Mistermena will be along soon to give you great advice on which brand of oil to use if Toyota won't sort it for you.

regards .... Pete.

once you get your grade i would use Opie Oils to get a good quality oil.. they will recommend the right oil for you.

agree with Pete on this, changing the oil might help, but look at the cables also. I'm assuming the difficulty stays when the car has just been started (common) and after its warmed up (not common), could you clarify? Thanks

agree with Pete on this, changing the oil might help, but look at the cables also. I'm assuming the difficulty stays when the car has just been started (common) and after its warmed up (not common), could you clarify? Thanks

Seems not as bad when it warms up car Thanks

sorry can't really be more precise help, have to spoken to Mr T over the phone as to what they can suggest? other than that, await other members to pitch in,

I also agree with pete. My toyota dealer put 75/80 grade after replacing the engine and struggled with 2nd gear especially when cold. I then asked them to put straight 75 in as suggested by guys on this forum and it improved significantly.

As my mate Pete said I'd be here! So as if by magic! (Gotta love Mr Ben)

Using a straight 75w grade of oil is what I'd use in the double synco boxes. I change my trans oil every 50k with Silkolen Pro SRG full ester racing box oil. I had problems with 2nd gear crunch (When cold) and it took forever to get into 1st gear in the morning. Using Fuch's (Silkolen, same company) helped alot... Here are some links to a very nice sponsor of our forum and Guy and Tim @ Opie Oils do know there onions! And a far bit about oils an all! :eat:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-832-silkolene-pro-srg-75-full-ester-synthetic-ester-racing-gear-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68902-fuchs-titan-race-srg-75-full-ester-synthetic-racing-gear-oil.aspx

Remember that both the above oils are the same so go for the cheaper of the two...

Tim, how much do you need for the 6 speed Avensis gearbox?

Pete.

I think mine took 2.3Ltrs Pete as far I remember. I've bought another 10L of the stuff as I know I'll be skint when the twins turn up! :baby::crybaby: :P :in_love::beer::yes::thumbsup:

I think mine took 2.3Ltrs Pete as far I remember. I've bought another 10L of the stuff as I know I'll be skint when the twins turn up! :baby::crybaby: :P :in_love::beer::yes::thumbsup:

If you have to sell the car after they arrive ...... I will move in for a bargain buy it now deal :naughty: .

interesting to hear of other people having trouble with their gearboxes, mines a right pig to get into 1st and 2nd when it's cold, better once warmed but even then I think the Toyota gearchange is a bit stubborn in general (although I do tend to try and hurry it sometimes) The D4D gearbox is used in the Lotus Evora sportscar and many road tests comment on the gearbox being notchy.

yep, mine too, due a change of fluid but similar difficulty getting into 1st when cold. Gearbox doesn't like to be hurried either. I have been told, by Ford mechanic, that sometimes the fault lies with the driver being to forceful, ie to get into first, pushing the lever as far to the left then pushing it forward rather than being a bit gentle, I am certainly guilty of that as I had difficulty getting the diesel Focus into 1st not matter how hot/cold the oil was,

If you have to sell the car after they arrive ...... I will move in for a bargain buy it now deal :naughty: .

Lol :blow:

I'll let you have it for a song my mate :drunk:

• 1 month later...

Hi folks.....I have a similar problem with my first and second gear.

Couple of things Id like to mention/ ask about this.

It seems like my first and second gears are notchy all the time, not just when its cold. Also I spoke to my local toyota dealer who said I should only use 75w90 gear oil. Is that right for a 2004 2.0 d4d tspirit?

Just to mention I also have a problem with a bent master cylinder puah rod. Is that the problem?